2011 Rx8 R3

RXHeaven

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rx8
New member considering a type R. I'm very skeptical about the handling (I've owned rx7/rx8 dating back to the 90s).

I know I'm on a civic forum, but I kind of need a legit opinion. I LOVE my Rx8. No it doesnt have the power the type r does, but I will eat my hat if it handles as well as the 8. Plus, pistons...

But I have to face reality... Mazda isn't going to make another rotary any time soon. I can either get something like a Lexus IS and keep my car (it is still very pretty) or I can get a type r (and trade mine in).

Are dealers really getting 10k over sticker for then btw?
Sponsored

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you will be surprised how well the Type-R handles... That said a R3 RX8 is an AMAZING chassis handling wise. I have a Si personally and I had a 04 rx8 with full legit coilovers and every bolt on short of FI/nitrous for about 4 years. The type R is even better than the Si (obviously) and Si is no slouch... I would say the Si is 90% as good even being FWD. So the Type r would be closer to 100 or even better stock for stock (also active dampers are super nice)... and power is on another level. The MSP in the R3 makes 220whp max with every bolt on, on its best of days. The Type-R makes closer to 400 with tune/bolt ons with 3 times more torque. That said RWD to FWD is a tough pill to swallow.

Also Type-Rs can be had at MSRP if you look hard enough and are willing/able to travel a bit to acquire them.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be clear... the type r destroys the r3 rx8 overall. Not sure if I made that clear. I was just comparing handling alone. I mean it is a full minute faster on the Ring for a reason but I believe that to be mostly the power being much better.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New member considering a type R. I'm very skeptical about the handling (I've owned rx7/rx8 dating back to the 90s).

I know I'm on a civic forum, but I kind of need a legit opinion. I LOVE my Rx8. No it doesnt have the power the type r does, but I will eat my hat if it handles as well as the 8. Plus, pistons...

But I have to face reality... Mazda isn't going to make another rotary any time soon. I can either get something like a Lexus IS and keep my car (it is still very pretty) or I can get a type r (and trade mine in).

Are dealers really getting 10k over sticker for then btw?
Oddly enough before I started this business I personally owned a 2010 RX8 R3. That car handled AMAZING. But then I sold it to invest in 27WON. That and the Type R are both great cars. You will love them both.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Go for a test drive and I think thats the best way to find out. the Rx8 is an amazing car....i would own one if I have to time to put up with the problem. I think you will like the Type R.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Handling should be close. The hardest thing for you to acclimate to will be front wheel drive.

But the trade is worth it to get rid of that tumor under the bonnet. Thirsty, flood prone, uneven power delivery, tepid acceleration, poor longevity... the Renesis has it all.

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I would keep RX8 especially since it's an R3 and make it a second car. Despite the RX8 rotary quirks, I have a feeling it may be appreciate in the future as more and more RX8s get wrecked or written off with blown engines.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
The type r will out handle the rx8 but how it feels while doing it isn’t as rewarding or ego fulfilling as with the rx8or any rwd car. How a car feels when comparing fwd, rwd, or even awd vastly differs.

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
As the owner of both a brand new Civic Type R and a Mazdaspeed-tuned RX-8, I can say very confidently that you won't be disappointed by the way the Civic handles. The motor on my 8 recently gave up the ghost, which is the only reason why I decided to get a new car, and the CTR was the only one in my price range that captured the same sense of excitement and belonging that I felt when I first sat in the RX-8.
Sponsored