2.0L vs 1.5L Turbo

JGar1108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I think this post might have already been made but I just wanted to know specific differences between both engines. I drive the 2.0L EX and its very fun to get the feel that 138 lb-ft torque when revving over 4k rpm, not thrilling or exciting like being in an actual sports car but fun and peppy. How different is the 1.5L Turbo compared to the 2.0L? One thing I've read is that the 2.0L is much quieter than the 1.5L-T but I'd rather hear it from all of you. You can go into detail or general the more information the better :)

I've never driven a turbocharged engine this is why I ask.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't test the 2.0, but I find the 1.5 isn't ridiculously noisy; its got a bit of a growl to it, but its not intrusive. Definitely quieter than my old 2.3 Fusion.

I regularly have tanks in the upper 30s to low 40s, so its no slouch in terms of economy either.

I love the all-day torque though - I'm pretty much never above 3k unless I am trying to pass someone fast on a two-lane road. Once you get to 2k, it just pulllllssssssss and doesn't stop. The low-end torque is really nice. It's not a sports car, but its definitely tops in its class for power.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Take a test drive!++

The turbo is more powerful and faster, but a little bit louder. Both get about the same mpg. In terms of durability, both should be very long lasting and reliable engines. The turbo, however, is an all-new engine, and turbos are by definition more complicated and have more things that can eventually wear out. I believe that Honda has put a lot of outstanding engineering into the 1.5 turbo to make it a great and long-lasting engine. But even with a Honda, I suppose it's fair to say that only time and mileage will tell.

Affordable HondaCare warranties are available that can cover the car for up to 8 years and 120,000 miles. Check out this site:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

Honda put out a lot of info about the engines here:

http://hondanews.com/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

"
The turbocharged 1.5-liter engine is rated at 174 horsepower at 5,500 rpm3 with 162 lb.-ft of torque between 1,800 and 5,500 rpm.4 The Civic Turbo is anticipated to be rated by the EPA at 31/42/35 mpg.6

Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L vs 1.5L Turbo powertrain-05

See the 1.5 L Turbo engine animation for a visual representation of prominent engine features and functions.

Cylinder Block and Crankshaft
The Civic's new 1.5-liter inline four has a lightweight die-cast aluminum block with individual reinforced main bearing caps to minimize weight. Cast-in iron cylinder liners provide long-lasting durability. Each journal on the lightweight forged-steel crankshaft is micropolished to reduce internal friction.

Pistons and Connecting Rods
The 1.5-liter engine's pistons help maintain stable combustion and contribute to improved efficiency with "cavity-shaped" crowns. The lightweight pistons have a carefully optimized skirt design to minimize reciprocating weight, which minimizes vibration and increases operating efficiency. The pistons are cooled by twin oil jets directed at the underside of each piston crown. Ion-plated piston rings help reduce friction for greater operating efficiency. Lightweight, high-strength steel connecting rods are heat-forged in one piece and then "crack separated" to create a lighter and stronger rod with an optimally fitted bearing cap.

Cylinder Head and Valvetrain
The direct-injected Civic 4-cylinder turbocharged engine has a lightweight DOHC cylinder head that is made of pressure-cast aluminum alloy. With exhaust port cast directly into the cylinder head, the need for a traditional separate exhaust manifold is eliminated.

A low-friction, silent-chain drives dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. The cam drive is maintenance free throughout the life of the engine. To help further reduce weight, new thin-wall hollow camshafts are used.

To benefit fuel efficiency, emissions and power, the turbo engine utilizes sodium filled exhaust valves. A hollow chamber within the valve contains sodium that is cooled by the exhaust port cooling jacket. As the camber reaches close to the valve head, the sodium helps to cool the entire valve. As the valve is internally cooled it doesn't need the enriched fuel mixture that was generally used in turbo engines to help cool the exhaust valve. The resultant leaner mixture reduces emissions, increases fuel efficiency and helps increase power.

The cylinder head includes smaller M12 sparkplugs, down from the more common M14, to save space and weight. The head also includes direct-injection multi-hole fuel injectors with a small diameter bore. Higher-pressure direct injection optimizes fuel atomization, allowing for more efficient combustion. To provide a high-tumble intake charge that further enhances combustion efficiency, both the intake port and piston crown have special designs.

The Civic Turbo engine features Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) that can vary the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently. With the turbo engine's variable cam timing, the cam timing can be optimized to suit the driving conditions. Under light loads, valve overlap can be increased to reduce pumping losses and improve fuel efficiency. When engine speed is low and engine load is large, such as during initial acceleration, the amount of overlap is increased to boost the scavenging effect, which improves torque and responsiveness. When engine speed is high and engine load is also high, such as during full-throttle acceleration, the amount of valve overlap is reduced to increase engine output by improving both intake and scavenging.

Direct Injection System
The direct-injection system enables increased torque across the engine's full operating range along with higher fuel efficiency. The system features a compact, high-pressure, direct-injection pump that allows both high fuel flow and pulsation suppression, while variable pressure control optimizes injector operation. A multi-hole injector delivers fuel directly into each cylinder (not to the intake port, as in conventional port fuel injection designs), allowing for more efficient combustion.

The multi-hole injectors can create the ideal stoichiometric fuel/air mixture in the cylinders for good emissions control. Theoretically, a stoichiometric mixture has just enough air to completely burn the available fuel. Based on the operating conditions, the direct-injection system alters its function for best performance. Upon cold engine startup, fuel is injected into the cylinders on the compression stroke. This creates a weak stratified charge effect that improves engine start-up and reduces exhaust emissions before a normal operating temperature is reached.

Once the engine is fully warmed up, for maximum power and fuel efficiency fuel is injected during the intake stroke. This helps create a more homogeneous fuel/air mix in the cylinder that is aided by the high-tumble intake port design. This improves volumetric efficiency, and the cooling effect of the incoming fuel improves anti-knock performance.

Low Inertia Mono Scroll Turbo System with Electric WastegateThe turbocharged Civic engine employs a small-diameter turbine for maximum responsiveness. The Mono scroll housing design helps the turbo build boost even at relatively small throttle openings and low rpm. The electrically actuated wastegate allows boost pressure to be precisely controlled.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2.0L vs 1.5L Turbo powertrain-06

A large air low-restriction intercooler is positioned low in the front of the car where it receives unobstructed airflow when the vehicle is in motion. Intake air travels from the air filter, to the turbo compressor, on to the intercooler, then to the engine's intake ports. The intercooler helps reduce the temperature of air entering the engine, making it denser for greater performance. To reduce weight, the turbo system is plumbed with rigid, lightweight resin composite inlet pipes to carry intake air to and from the intercooler...."

OP
OP

JGar1108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Ø Who pays most of the health care costs (2009)
Take a test drive!++

"The turbo is more powerful and faster, but a little bit louder. Both get about the same mpg. In terms of durability, both should be very long lasting and reliable engines. The turbo, however, is an all-new engine, and turbos are by definition more complicated and have more things that can eventually wear out. I believe that Honda has put a lot of outstanding engineering into the 1.5 turbo to make it a great and long-lasting engine. But even with a Honda, I suppose it's fair to say that only time and mileage will tell."

Having worked on a couple of cars with forced induction (Mazdaspeed 3 is one I remember working on with him) with my friend as a side job I leaned more towards the 2.0L because of how as you said how more complicated and the more likely things can wear out. Also with my lifestyle of being a full-time student and worker I dont have time or money to keep up with the maintaince of a turbocharged engine. When I read that Honda began putting turbos in the Civic's engine I figured it must be very well engineered due to the companies reputation, but I was still a bit skeptical about it. Personally I'm not slamming the gas and going full throttle on the car, even though that's what people assume lol since I am "young guy in a Civic aka potential Speed Ricer", just needed a new car to drive to work, school and get rid of my old one that was giving me headaches :p

OP
OP

JGar1108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
^Dammit included what I said in my response in the quote, what a noob fail.....:oops::oops:

gabrielrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T 2016
I drove both before i bought my 1.5T. I liked the Turbo better. I dont remember if the 1.5T is louder than the 2.0 or not, but the 1.5T is faster. You can feel the kick of the Turbo after 2,000rpm which is really cool.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Take a test drive!++

The multi-hole injectors can create the ideal stoichiometric fuel/air mixture in the cylinders for good emissions control. Theoretically, a stoichiometric mixture has just enough air to completely burn the available fuel. Based on the operating conditions, the direct-injection system alters its function for best performance. Upon cold engine startup, fuel is injected into the cylinders on the compression stroke. This creates a weak stratified charge effect that improves engine start-up and reduces exhaust emissions before a normal operating temperature is reached.

Once the engine is fully warmed up, for maximum power and fuel efficiency fuel is injected during the intake stroke. This helps create a more homogeneous fuel/air mix in the cylinder that is aided by the high-tumble intake port design. This improves volumetric efficiency, and the cooling effect of the incoming fuel improves anti-knock performance.
That is pretty cool! Almost runs like a 2 stroke on a cold start!

So much amazing technology in this new 1.5T, I feel like the turbo motor is really quiet, haven't driven a 2.0 but I'm sure it's quiet too. 1.5T get slightly better mileage and more power, nuff said IMO.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think this post might have already been made but I just wanted to know specific differences between both engines. I drive the 2.0L EX and its very fun to get the feel that 138 lb-ft torque when revving over 4k rpm, not thrilling or exciting like being in an actual sports car but fun and peppy. How different is the 1.5L Turbo compared to the 2.0L? One thing I've read is that the 2.0L is much quieter than the 1.5L-T but I'd rather hear it from all of you. You can go into detail or general the more information the better :)

I've never driven a turbocharged engine this is why I ask.
I basically don't hear my car at all when the radio is on.

It is slightly sluggish for a few moments then it goes ZOOOOOOOM.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2.0 feels good to me. Sounds like it's got quieter since I got it, but that may just be my imagination. Got better "oomph" than my 9th gen did. I can't speak for the 1.5T, I haven't drove one. I don't like turbos, and a turbo coupled with a CVT seems kinda pointless to me. To each his own though.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
We bought the Civic Touring and I love the turbo engine, it is smooth as silk and pulls like a small train. We have over 4,000 miles on our Civic Touring and it has been trouble free. It is more comfortable than our old 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid was and it gets better mileage than that Accord Hybrid did as well. We have gotten as much as 46 MPG on the road and my wife routinely gets 34 to 36 MPG in town going back and forth to work.

We came from a 2013 Mazda 6 that we gave to our oldest daughter into this 2016 Honda Civic Touring and we are very happy with it.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I continue to be impressed with the smoothness of the 1.5 liter turbo engine. It actually feels like you're driving a V6! I'm looking forward to driving in the Colorado mountains with the turbo this summer. Last time I was on interstate 70 near the Eisenhower pass, our rental car (Nissan Altima) could barely get past 60 MPH. I am sure the turbo will provide some additional oomph to get over the hill.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
i am impressed with the 1.5 for what it is (a turbo for fuel economy). i am coming from a tuned 2.0T GTI with a dsg. obviously a much different car. but if it wasnt for the 1.5t i would not have even looked at the civic X. i am very happy with it. has the heated seats and sunroof that i had in the gti. it has a really cool android auto that i didnt have in the gti. It runs on 87 octane instead of 93. and the fuel economy is much better. i am very happy with it. i used to consider CVT a four letter word, but this one is very good. it keeps the engine and turbo in the sweet spot when you really need to accelerate.