RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R | Sentra SER | GMC Terrain.
Country flag
Went to Calaboogie Sunday for my 1st ever experience on a race track.

I did only the 1/2 day, 3x30min sessions. The track is long, 20 turns with some blind corners and hills. 3 sessions were not enough for me to memorize the track, too much info for 1st time out. But for me it was enough track time for 1st time out (Plus I had a 2.5hr drive home).

CTR cornered faster and flatter than I imagined it could. Was fun and I will go back, but not until I get more experience on simpler tracks. Like where you can see the whole corner most of time.

Facilites are great and instruction was very good, both from track officials and the onboard driving instructor.

I have one question/comment. I found the passing rules overly complicated:

Passing is allowed in designated straight sections (logical!) on the same side as the direction of the upcoming corner. So to allow a car to pass you pull over to the side opposite the direction of the next corner and point by left or right.

Why not just make passing always on the same side? Do all tracks have this passing system?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Passing.. When you drive a racetrack, the imaginary "line" around the circuit is the shortest and quickest way.

Typically, a passing car goes "offline".. to complete the pass, usually with a point by from the car being overtaken. It allows the slower car the right to stay on his line (the line) and makes the one doing the passing do the hard work of passing ;)

Also, some tracks run clockwise, others counterclockwise... but by staying "online" for the slow car and passing "offline" for the faster car, you are consistent in practice.

Each club will have its own rules and there could be some variations.. which is why you go to the Drivers' meeting.

Glad you had fun and hope to hear you go again. Seat time is key as you've already sensed. Learning to Autocross is another way to get seat time, learn you car, and provide experience for when you get back to the big track.

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Surprised you didn't goto LCMT. It has less turns and is closer. Give a few days to soak in - it is a lot to process, keep at it and giving passes or rather taking them left right, through a corner will be like 2nd nature.

The idea of giving the point by in the direction of the next turn is so that you stay on "the line" and let the faster driver by. But ultimately, its wherever you feel safest to let the point by occur.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Passing.. When you drive a racetrack, the imaginary "line" around the circuit is the shortest and quickest way.

Typically, a passing car goes "offline".. to complete the pass, usually with a point by from the car being overtaken. It allows the slower car the right to stay on his line (the line) and makes the one doing the passing do the hard work of passing ;)

Also, some tracks run clockwise, others counterclockwise... but by staying "online" for the slow car and passing "offline" for the faster car, you are consistent in practice.

Each club will have its own rules and there could be some variations.. which is why you go to the Drivers' meeting.

Glad you had fun and hope to hear you go again. Seat time is key as you've already sensed. Learning to Autocross is another way to get seat time, learn you car, and provide experience for when you get back to the big track.
My experience as well....passing car always has to make the pass offline from the slower car. I think the rationale is that there's enough for the slower car to worry about seeing someone in their rearview, and no one wants someone in front of them suddenly darting "out of their way". Slower car just stays on the racing line agreed to by all drivers and everybody goes home with an intact car ! That's been my experience with multiple tracks and numerous different clubs....
Sponsored