1st oil change

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Good morning everyone,

2019 Sport, 8500ish miles, 2.0, Maintenance minder at 15%

Went to dealership yesterday for what I thought was free 1st service. Service receptionist asks if I want my tires rotated for $20. I declined. Only the oil change is free, I learned. Then he says I should have gotten my oil changed at 5000 miles and that I shouldn’t be going by what the car says.

To me, with the oil life at 15%, I felt like I was doing the oil change slightly early. After the receptionist was done with me I felt like a bad parent at a kids 1st doctors visit.

I follow the maintenance minder for my wife’s 2016 Pilot and will do the same with this Civic. Also, I do 10,000 mile oil changes on my 2012 Tundra and did them for 16 years on my 03 Jetta.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good morning everyone,

Went to dealership yesterday for what I thought was free 1st service. Service receptionist asks if I want my tires rotated for $20. I declined. Only the oil change is free, I learned. Then he says I should have gotten my oil changed at 5000 miles and that I shouldn’t be going by what the car says.

To me, with the oil life at 15%, I felt like I was doing the oil change slightly early. After the receptionist was done with me I felt like a bad parent at a kids 1st doctors visit.

I follow the maintenance minder for my wife’s 2016 Pilot and will do the same with this Civic. Also, I do 10,000 mile oil changes on my 2012 Tundra and did them for 16 years on my 03 Jetta.
Find a new dealership. That 5k change thing is BS enough for me to never go back there.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I agree go to a different dealership. When I got the first on mine I was gonna go in at 5000 and they asked me what percent I was showing, and then said to me to go by the maintenance minder. So that’s what I do. Usually change every 8000ish. It wouldn’t make sense for a Honda dealer to tell you to not listen to the maintenance minder that Honda programmed into the car. Them people are stupid

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I think the dealer sounds sketch but the oil change interval is not super crazy. My maintenance minders in my Civic and CRV typically pop at 11k KMs which is about 6800 miles. And where you are in Maine and I am right next door, your environment driving conditions are basically the same so you should be set to the same "harsh driving conditions" mapping as Canadian owners.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good morning everyone,

You're all good ... do what the car tells you ... the crew at the dealership are looking to get you to do oil changes more frequently, to bring in more income!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do oil change myself at every 5,000 miles. Good synth oil is so cheap.
Not sure dealer is wrong but it is your money.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
50 %
I don't truss what Maintenance Minder say
Why not take some of that money you're pissing away and get your oil independently analyzed at 5k miles then? Maybe you can "truss" empirical evidence rather than Honda's (very capable) engineers?

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Good morning everyone,

It might make sense to get your oil changed a little early on the turbo because of oil dilution and the extra heat that a turbo generates. It makes no sense to change the oil early on the 2.0. Dealer is looking to rip you off.

Find someone who is honest and competent to do your service. Make sure that they use the proper fluids and parts.
Keep all receipts for warranty purposes.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why not take some of that money you're pissing away and get your oil independently analyzed at 5k miles then? Maybe you can "truss" empirical evidence rather than Honda's (very capable) engineers?
Money is not a problem, 5K miles oil change is cheap as I do myself.
I always kept my car 12 to 15 years ( yes I'm old ) with more than 120 K miles and always running well for next buyer.

I learn; " If no broke, don't fix it "

" Honda very capable engineers ! " Are you kidding ? Turbo engine have oil dilution and lack of heater in winter.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
It makes no sense to change the oil early on the 2.0.
Bigtime.

Money is not a problem, 5K miles oil change is cheap as I do myself.
5k is not far off from my average distance to 5% so I really don't know why you are wasting another 2000 - 3000 KM of oil life and contributing to waste in the environment for no benefit. You live immediately west of Montreal so I know you don't have that bad of winters. You don't live in Labrador. You are free to do as you please as it is your car but you are indeed wasting money. Or perhaps watching Scotty Kilmer a little too much.

Honda very capable engineers ! " Are you kidding ? Turbo engine have oil dilution and lack of heater in winter.
This particular issue has been so distorted and blown out of proportion. This problem ONLY affects/affected the Civics and the CRVs and likely only happened due to trying to achieve lower fuel consumption and emissions. Honda is using turbos in other platforms both in North America and around the world and so far, the 1.5T that goes in the Civic and CRV are the only ones to have been "screwed up".

Further, as I quoted from someone else, you don't have a turbo and you don't even have GDI so again, you are wasting both your time and money but to restate, that is totally your freedom to choose.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
all of my driving is local short trip, stop and go. At 5K miles my MM is at 10% so I DIY my oil change every 5K. The drain oil is always thin, black, and smelly. I measure how much oil comes out and it's exactly the same as how much went in. Mine is the N.A. 2.0 with 6mt. If I buy the oil (M1 synth) and filter at wally world the whole thing comes to about 30 dollars. Call me crazy but I don't trust anyone else to do it. Twenty years ago one service guy stripped the threads on the oil pan and another time a guy didn't remove the old gasket and all my oil came out on the ground.
Sponsored

Last edited: