rucnok

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R CW
Country flag
So got a 2019 Type R a couple of days ago. This is my 2nd standard transmission I've ever had. My first was when I was 17, I got a new 1990 Eagle Talon AWD 4 cylinder turbo with 200hp. A gap of almost 30 years!

All I can say is WOW things have changed, this type R is amazing. One thing I'm was surprised to learn is that if I am downshifting when I come into a curve or need to slow down when I put the car into gear the engine revs even before I let out the clutch. I don't know why that is? TBH, I don't know what rev matching is either lol, so I've got a lot to learn. I just know how to drive.

Somebody feel free to point me to the dumb question forum and I'll camp there for a while.

Loving this car, it's a blast!
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The civic comes with automatic rev matching (above 2k RPM) when you shift into a lower gear. You can disable this through the vehicle settings menu.

Rev matching brings the engine speed to match the selected gear, because when you downshift to a lower gear, you need to match the difference in speed. The engine is spinning faster in a lower gear than in higher gears. Reduces wear on the clutch.

Grats on the new ride!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Talon vs. Type R different?? Night vs. Day! Congrats and welcome. Enjoy the experience.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The Civic Type R has a rev matching system that will kick in if you’re not going into first gear and above 2k RPM. It’ll also rev match, albeit slower, if you’re not going into first gear and shifting down 2 or more gears.

The entire idea of rev matching is to match the engine RPM to that of your transmission’s input shaft RPM for a smooth shift.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can turn off the rev match system from the touch screen. Under Settings->Vehicle

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats on the new Type R

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
OP the CTR is a huge difference compared the dsm 1g chassis. I have had several over the years. Even got one down into a 10.6 quarter mile here at altitude !

Great cars but not exactly well built compared to the honda fk8 chassis.

World of difference for sure ! I sometimes miss the awd burnouts in the rain though ! haha

Pic of one my last talons before i gave up racing for a while...
Honda Civic 10th gen 1990 Eagle Talon AWD vs my new type R 0.jpg.pagespeed.ce.JZbGBe2JdW

Honda Civic 10th gen 1990 Eagle Talon AWD vs my new type R 0.jpg.pagespeed.ce.JZbGBe2JdW

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Damn that's a throwback. My Dad's favorite car to this day was his old Conquest from that era.

Kevin S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 hype R
Country flag
Damn that's a throwback. My Dad's favorite car to this day was his old Conquest from that era.
always loved that body style. I remember there was a guy putting 4g63 into them way back in the early 2000's. I imagine that would be a very fun car !

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Was the Talon a better performer than the Conquest TSi?
Stock, yes. the Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser replaced the Starion in the line up for 1990. Or, one could argue the Starion was replaced by two models.. The Eclipse / talon on one end and the Stealth/3000GT on the other end of the price scale.

bikebit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Was the Talon a better performer than the Conquest TSi?
One of my biggest car regrets back in the day - trading my '88 Conquest TSi for a '95 Talon TSi AWD... Faster, but nowhere near as fun. Of course my first car was an '83 Challenger Technica (the pre-Starion 2.6l non-turbo, with digital dash and talking computer...), so I'm a bit biased.
Sponsored