18' Civic Sedan EX "Bang-for-the-buck" audio upgrade, what do you think?

TekDragon

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
I tried to do as much research as I could prior to coming on here, and a lot of the threads I pulled information from came from CivicX, so I figured I'd share here before pulling the trigger to see if I missed anything.

First let's start off a pair of assumptions, and I'd really appreciate if you guys could let me know if I'm off-base with either of these:

1. The bass roll-off and signal noise of the stock head unit is enough of an issue to warrant investing in an AudioControl LOC with the AccuBASS feature.
2. As I rarely have anyone in the back seat, I can get away with neglecting the rear speakers and leaving them stock and un-amplified.

So those two assumptions helped drive the following selections.

- Line Out Converter: AudioControl LC2i
- Amplifier: Alpine MRV-F300 (50 Watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms, 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms)
- Front Components: JBL Club 6500C
- Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1-1x10

Head Unit FL and FR connect to the LC2i. LC2i splits the bass signal and outputs to the 4-channel amp. 4-channel amp feeds to the front components and the subwoofer.

Total Cost, not including wires or installation: $430

So, how does this look? I'll be taking it to a professional installation shop to have the gear installed, so they'll have wires and what-not.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TekDragon

TekDragon

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
I think I'd replace the front components for Morel Maximo 6
Lower sensitivity and 90 max RMS wattage with treated paper woofers on the MM6 vs higher sensitivity and 60 max RMS wattage with poly woofers on the JBL, connected to a 50 watt RMS amplifier.

Is the extra 5 Hz at the lower end of the spectrum and the paper woofers that much more of an advantage?

OP
OP
TekDragon

TekDragon

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
So, on Reddit someone is arguing very strongly that, even in an entry-level system, a DSP is mandatory and the AudioControl isn't going to cut it. Even when I pointed out that upgrading from the LC2i to a DSP would increase the total cost (of all components) by 50%, he was still passionate in insisting that it's mandatory.

Any thoughts?

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
I've noticed that the AccuBass doesn't really kick in until the volume gets to "15" on my sport HB. It's starts intermittent around 10-12. But above 15 it sounds great. I'm not using a lc2, but the acm 1-300 amp. I'm considering adding the 4 channel amp and the dq61 or the lcq1. Either of those give the AccuBass and the ability to fine tune the sound. They're not a whole lot more than the lc2i, and give lots more control and future expandability.

OP
OP
TekDragon

TekDragon

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
I've noticed that the AccuBass doesn't really kick in until the volume gets to "15" on my sport HB. It's starts intermittent around 10-12. But above 15 it sounds great. I'm not using a lc2, but the acm 1-300 amp. I'm considering adding the 4 channel amp and the dq61 or the lcq1. Either of those give the AccuBass and the ability to fine tune the sound. They're not a whole lot more than the lc2i, and give lots more control and future expandability.
Interesting. Isn't that because the bass roll-off only kicks in at a certain volume? I thought I remembered in a LC2i guide that you can set the threshold for when to kick in the AccuBass.

15 seems low for the head unit to start rolling off bass, I think I heard it starts more around 20, but it can begin lower if you have the option enabled to increase volume as vehicle speed increases.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did adjust the AccuBass threshold and level several times. It could do with something that I only connected it to the rear speakers. If I upgrade to the d6/eq I'll go to all 4 speakers and use the summing feature. Hopefully that will give a more linear sound.

Edit: I also wonder if the current sensing amp turn on may be my actual problem. I haven't had the chance to check the issue. It's just something that I've noticed while driving.

Last edited:

spiikey1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
apparently you can also just get an audio control amp with the lc2 built in it already. I have been quoted 1k for my sub install, however im in australia and Audio Control isn't big here so products are expen$$ive.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
apparently you can also just get an audio control amp with the lc2 built in it already. I have been quoted 1k for my sub install, however im in australia and Audio Control isn't big here so products are expen$$ive.
This is the route I took. I'm happy with the performance and sound quality.
Too bad they're not as easily available elsewhere. The amps are under $300 in the US.

Honda Civic 10th gen 18' Civic Sedan EX "Bang-for-the-buck" audio upgrade, what do you think? IMG_20180716_171718144

spiikey1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
This is the route I took. I'm happy with the performance and sound quality.
Too bad they're not as easily available elsewhere. The amps are under $300 in the US.

IMG_20180716_171718144.jpg
yeah i feel like 1k is extravagant for what its worth.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found that a better HU with a built in amp works pretty well, even on stock speakers.

jestevez1292

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I tried to do as much research as I could prior to coming on here, and a lot of the threads I pulled information from came from CivicX, so I figured I'd share here before pulling the trigger to see if I missed anything.

First let's start off a pair of assumptions, and I'd really appreciate if you guys could let me know if I'm off-base with either of these:

1. The bass roll-off and signal noise of the stock head unit is enough of an issue to warrant investing in an AudioControl LOC with the AccuBASS feature.
2. As I rarely have anyone in the back seat, I can get away with neglecting the rear speakers and leaving them stock and un-amplified.

So those two assumptions helped drive the following selections.

- Line Out Converter: AudioControl LC2i
- Amplifier: Alpine MRV-F300 (50 Watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms, 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms)
- Front Components: JBL Club 6500C
- Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1-1x10

Head Unit FL and FR connect to the LC2i. LC2i splits the bass signal and outputs to the 4-channel amp. 4-channel amp feeds to the front components and the subwoofer.

Total Cost, not including wires or installation: $430

So, how does this look? I'll be taking it to a professional installation shop to have the gear installed, so they'll have wires and what-not.
Is there really a use for the LOC since the amp you're buying has speaker level inputs? I'm looking to add a sub to my system and am looking around and I can't seem to come to a conclusion whether I need to add it or I don't.

OP
OP
TekDragon

TekDragon

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
Is there really a use for the LOC since the amp you're buying has speaker level inputs? I'm looking to add a sub to my system and am looking around and I can't seem to come to a conclusion whether I need to add it or I don't.
If you look just above the parts list, I'm operating off the assumption that the bass roll-off is bad enough on the stock head unit to require an AudioControl LOC, which has the AccuBASS feature for restoring bass.

As for what you "really" need or don't need - I have no idea, and it seems like very, very few other people do, either. I came here hoping to find some conclusive data (or at least well reasoned arguments) for what's needed to build around a stock head unit (so as not to lose functionality). I've yet to find anyone or anything here that sounds authoritative. Pretty much everything is just "I bought X for $Y and I like it".

Last edited:

luckytom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2018 Civic EX-T 6 Speed
Country flag
As for what you "really" need or don't need - I have no idea, and it seems like very, very few other people do, either. I came here hoping to find some conclusive data (or at least well reasoned arguments) for what's needed to build around a stock head unit (so as not to lose functionality). I've yet to find anyone or anything here that sounds authoritative. Pretty much everything is just "I bought X for $Y and I like it".
I appreciate your post. I'm starting to look into potential upgrades because I have the same trim as you.

Did you end up going this route? What did you end up doing?

Again, appreciate your post! :D
Sponsored