174hp @ 6000rpm but dynos show different

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why is it that most of the dyno's that are posted show peak horsepower in the range of 5200-5800rpm but in stock form, peak horsepower is at 6000rpm? I understand the addition of aftermarket cams can move the powerband around.

Otherwise, this just seems weird to me.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Why is it that most of the dyno's that are posted show peak horsepower in the range of 5200-5800rpm but in stock form, peak horsepower is at 6000rpm? I understand the addition of aftermarket cams can move the powerband around.

Why is that weird? Isn't it better to have peak horsepower at a lower RPM to get to the powerband more quickly?

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag

Are you talking about dyno results from a CVT or manual? The CVT sometimes doesn't even go to 6000 RPMs...it's in charge of when to shift.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you talking about dyno results from a CVT or manual? The CVT sometimes doesn't even go to 6000 RPMs...it's in charge of when to shift.

Here is one example from this thread ~~> HERE (Peak is at about 5657rpm)
Honda Civic 10th gen 174hp @ 6000rpm but dynos show different civic-17-mt-stock-

And another example from this thread ~~> HERE (Peak is at 5800rpm)
Honda Civic 10th gen 174hp @ 6000rpm but dynos show different xrtfr1-

One last one from this thread ~~> HERE (Peaks at 5400-5500rpm)
Honda Civic 10th gen 174hp @ 6000rpm but dynos show different attachment

If horsepower peak is at 6000rpm stock from the factory, why does the peak move around (Be it modified or not)? I've never seen this before unless cams where installed, which moves the powerband around.

Last edited:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Here is one example from this thread ~~> HERE (Peak is at about 5700rpm)
civic-17-mt-stock-gif.gif

And another example from this thread ~~> HERE (Peak is at 5800rpm)
xrtfr1-jpg.jpg

One last one from this thread ~~> HERE (Peaks at 5400-5500rpm)
attachment.jpg

If horsepower peak is at 6000rpm stock from the factory, why does the peak move around (Be it modified or not)? I've never seen this before unless cams where installed, which moves the powerband around.
I noticed that peak horse power definitely changed downwards when bolt ons and tunes were implemented, and I’m not sure why that is. I will look into it and if I find something I’ll report back on the issue. Prl posted somewheres that peak power went down after some testing that had to do with air volume going inside.

Reactions: Myx

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have to know what is being dyno'd in each chart. In the top one (a Hondata dyno), it is a manual transmission 1.5T. From the factory, the manual transmission 1.5T has a slightly lower power peak at 5500 RPM (CVT is 6000 RPM). So, the top Hondata dyno chart generally agrees with where Honda's advertised peak power occurs. Keep in mind, peak power can vary slightly depending on conditions, the exact car, etc.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have to know what is being dyno'd in each chart. In the top one (a Hondata dyno), it is a manual transmission 1.5T. From the factory, the manual transmission 1.5T has a slightly lower power peak at 5500 RPM (CVT is 6000 RPM). So, the top Hondata dyno chart generally agrees with where Honda's advertised peak power occurs. Keep in mind, peak power can vary slightly depending on conditions, the exact car, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. I just looked at the Honda site through the specs for manuals and CVTs and you are right. Something I overlooked. Guess that sums it up then. We can expect the peak rpm on a dyno to be +/- 200rpm or so. I guess that'd be reasonable, depending on conditions and such.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something else I just thought about but people are saying that Honda is saying what the power is at to the wheels vs at the engine. I know the two engines are the same, hence why I was thinking the horsepower peaks were the same. Going through two different transmissions and stating what the horsepower is to the ground is a whole different ballgame, since power lost through either will vary.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Something else I just thought about but people are saying that Honda is saying what the power is at to the wheels vs at the engine. I know the two engines are the same, hence why I was thinking the horsepower peaks were the same. Going through two different transmissions and stating what the horsepower is to the ground is a whole different ballgame, since power lost through either will vary.
Honda and all other care manufacturers always advertise engine horsepower and not wheel horsepower.

You're 100% right about it being impossible to quote a single wheel power figure if different transmissions are being used (like CVT and manual).

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
remember too, these tiny turbos spool fast, lay the torque down quickly and then run out of steam up top. In a MT, you could technically be losing time/power by not shifting at the peak power point

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why is it that most of the dyno's that are posted show peak horsepower in the range of 5200-5800rpm but in stock form, peak horsepower is at 6000rpm?
The turbo for the base Civic has an flat 11 bladed turbine which spools very well but generates a lot of backpressure. Power typically peaks at 5500 for these turbos. The Si has a more open 9 bladed turbine wheel which generates less top end back pressure and carries the power past 5500 to 6500 rpm.
Honda Civic 10th gen 174hp @ 6000rpm but dynos show different 2017-civicsi-plus6-power-torque

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, they both look so tiny.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks Hondata for the insight. It's a compromise! Most people, most of the time, will be driving in the rev range that the small turbo compliments so that makes sense.

Pushing the small turbo further will magnify it's strengths in the low rpm range as well as it's 'weak' topend power. I am using the word weak loosely.

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
fresh stock flash I peaked at 5740, after learning the fuel peaked at 5600, stage 1 peaked at 5580, stage 2 peaked at 5440.
Sponsored