16 Civic AC Not Working

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Yeah, this is ridiculous you're looking at over 2k in AC repairs for a car that is under 3 years old. I'm scheduled to take my car in next week and I'm probably going to be in the same boat as you. If I could pay 2k and be confident the car will have a working AC for the next 5-7 years I really would be fine with it.

What I don't want is to be stuck with a car where I'll have to lay down 1-2K every few years to keep the AC working. Strongly considering trading it and going with a different brand. Maybe a Hyundai or Kia with their longer warranties.
Funny right now the ad right bellow your response is for Toyota. Which I looked at, but there were a lot of little things I would loose going from the Civic, and it would be a lot more money out of pocket, in addition to other expenses this month, not related to the car.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Well, I called Corporate, they took my story, and said a case manager will call me back tomorrow. I'll see if I get anywhere, and post back here.

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does this AC problem happen on the 2019 Civic Hatchback? I have the Sport Touring model and it looks like there is a grill in front of the intercooler (big gaps though compared to some of the gutter guard mods I seen).

Tennisplyr

First Name
Mr T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
My 2017 Civic Hatchback A/C with 9000 mi blowing warm air....found out compressor is shot...nice ! Thankfully they say it's covered under warranty.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So I got a call back from honda corporate. They asked a few more questions, and are going to follow up with the service manager, and I should hear back from them within a week... so we'll see where I land in a week.

Helloben23

SPIRE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
So I got a call back from honda corporate. They asked a few more questions, and are going to follow up with the service manager, and I should hear back from them within a week... so we'll see where I land in a week.
I just got a call back from Honda Corporate. Says that they are not obligated to reimburse the cost because I chose to fix it at the dealership before calling Corporate.

Then again I doubt they would've even given money to help offset the cost even if I called prior. What a joke of a company.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I just got a call back from Honda Corporate. Says that they are not obligated to reimburse the cost because I chose to fix it at the dealership before calling Corporate.

Then again I doubt they would've even given money to help offset the cost even if I called prior. What a joke of a company.
Wait till the Evaporator coil fails !! That's far more complex to remove & replace -- Imagine the Bill from the Dealer for that.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

I had assumed ( my bad for assuming), that if something like the A/C needed fixing, and it was "POTENTIALLY" under Warranty, the Dealers should be the one to clear it with Honda Corporate, BEFORE doing the work, and if they do not get the Warranty GO-ahead, inform you of the Cost BEFORE they proceed to do it , in BOTH cases, Warranty and NOT under Warranty.

The DEALER should have the lines of communication to deal with sort sort of thing with Honda Corporate -- it should not fall on the Customer to figure out who they need to talk to at Honda Corporate !!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

That's such BS on corporate's part. Or maybe your dealer's. I dunno. Mine preemptively contacted corporate to subsidize nearly 80% of the overall cost of repair, I didn't have to bring anything up or make any effort on my part.

Sounds like your dealership is actively trying to lose a customer.

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
That's such BS on corporate's part. Or maybe your dealer's. I dunno. Mine preemptively contacted corporate to subsidize nearly 80% of the overall cost of repair, I didn't have to bring anything up or make any effort on my part.

Sounds like your dealership is actively trying to lose a customer.
I really think they made these 10th generation Civics with inferior, flimsy AC components and don't want to admit it. I recently had the condenser on my 2017 LX replaced for $802. I didn't think to ask if the new condenser is the same brand as the OE one. I hope they're sourcing from a supplier that makes better quality components now.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really think they made these 10th generation Civics with inferior, flimsy AC components and don't want to admit it. I recently had the condenser on my 2017 LX replaced for $802. I didn't think to ask if the new condenser is the same brand as the OE one. I hope they're sourcing from a supplier that makes better quality components now.
The whole A/C system makes me nervous. What happens if this is a reoccurring problem every 1-2 years? If it gets repaired with higher quality parts just once, then fine, things happen and manufacturing isn't perfect. But the fact that people have had issues with compressors, condensers, and various A/C lines is just asinine. And the fact that people are having problems with at least 3 model years, '16-'18, reflects poorly on Honda.

For Honda's own sake, I'd hope they're using a different supplier.

Tennisplyr

First Name
Mr T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Got a message that compressor is back ordered and I won't hear anything for 7-10 days....I've owned Hondas for 35 years but my patience is running thin. Too bad I really like my hatch and get lots of compliments.

samuellms

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan touring 2016
Country flag
I just read the documents from American Honda Motors for my NCDS case, and I am very tilted. Please let me know if there are any class action law suit going on, and I will do whatever I can help for the case.

Voltron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
I just read the documents from American Honda Motors for my NCDS case, and I am very tilted. Please let me know if there are any class action law suit going on, and I will do whatever I can help for the case.
What happened? My A/C just went out also and I plan to call Honda corporate. Have any advice?
Sponsored