16 Civic AC Not Working

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
The verdict for me was:

"refrigerant level excessively too low, leak from the compressor shaft seal. Performed an AC system performance test, readings out of specs do (sic) to leak. Replaced the compressor and transferred parts. Replaced the condenser desiccant filter set, evacuate and recharge system to specs."

I had the work done at the dealer where i bought the car and they only charged me a $100 "deductible" for everything.
Not a bad turnout I guess, but still I find it quite appalling that any car should have a catastrophic failure of a major component like this just a few days out of warranty, especially a Honda. I paid a premium price for this car in part because it's supposed to be more reliable than others. Before this I drove only Chryslers and Fords. They had their problems too but never something that big, that soon.
Exact same thing except a different dealer ripped me off.
Sponsored

honda dad

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
EVERYONE TAKE A LOOK AT THIS! Widespread problem and honda is now facing a class action lawsuit over it. My dealership tried to tell me a rock hit my ac condenser unit. Something didn't seem right when they wouldn't show me the damage. I looked it up online and thousands of complaints all over. I called Honda corporate pissed off. Don't let the dealerships scam you out of money, these AC systems are faulty and stop working, it is NOT road hazard damage!!!

5B6C2EA1-7946-4A02-BFFD-9C328C6A44E8.jpg
THAN YOU FOR POSTING THAT LAWSUIT INFO!! GOTTA CHECK THEM OUT BROTHER !!

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just had the same failure repaired in my '16 Touring model.
It was exactly the same diagnosis... a leak around the input shaft seal causing the refrigerant to leak and contaminating the clutch.

Of course, I knew that it took a long time to cool on hot days. But I hadn't noticed that there was a BIG difference between the driver & passenger vents outlet temperatures. FYI, I learned that that is a sure sign of being low on refrigerant.

While waiting for the parts to arrive I stuck a thermocouple in the vents to check the outlet temperatures. During the 90 degree days we've had lately, the passenger side would cool to about 60 degrees, and the driver's side would only produce 71-72 degree air at best.
Now, in similar conditions after the service, I'm seeing 55 degree outlet air (+/- 3 or 4 degrees difference) from both vents.

At any rate...
Should you need this repair, after buying the compressor kit from my fav online Honda dealer it still cost around $1500.
:fear:
I hope that there has been an engineering change since the original production run to stop this problem from occurring!!

aclark414

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic EX. 42,000 miles, so past my warranty. AC started making gurgling noises. Noticed with the weather getting warmer that it wasn’t blowing as cold. Eventually driver side vents started only blowing warm air. Took it to my Honda dealer who confirmed it was the condenser. Asked for a good will repair given al the issues I’ve read about and the dealer admitting they’ve seen a lot of those issues. They worked with Honda on my behalf. Honda ended up covering 70% of the cost.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic2016 LX 2.0l Automatic
Country flag
Just an update guys... its June 1st and I'm at the dealership waiting for my shuttle ride. When I went in with my Honda Civic 2016 LX, they told me the same story... 'you have an extended warranty but if the flying rock makes it's way through your front grill and hits the AC condenser then it's not covered by warranty!!'

I have never heard of it and how the hack it can happen? Chances are really rare. I told them to show me the hole or a damage done to my condenser and they said yes but after running the $120 Diagnostic test.

Hopefully, the damage or leakage is in the part covered under warranty.

I see this 'Class Action Lawsuit against Honda for faulty AC parts' picture by this law firm in this thread. Where have they reached? Did they make any progress in this case ? Any idea? If they win then there will be a major recall in North America.

I'm from Toronto, hope that this recall applies here too.

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I picked my 16' up from the dealer today after they replaced my condenser. It's still under warranty until the end of June (thank god!), but I was pleasantly surprised they covered it and did the repairs without any fuss. I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having such a tough time with this.

Socaldecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring
Country flag
I have a question for everyone. When your A/C stopped working do you also have a pulsing sensation at 70mph or so. I had taken my car in 2016 Honda civic touring at like 102,000 miles for it pulsing / rpms climbing and falling rapidly while on the freeway. The mechanic said he found the problem and it was in the wiring harness and "fixed the harness" said it melted. I should have went out and physically looked but had my daughter with me. Before the fix I also noticed that my A/C wasnt working as good as it used to. After the wiring harness repair my ac was back to normal and the rpm fluctuation was gone. The fix lasted for about a month and a half and now it's back to pulsing like no other and the outside 95 degree air is cooler than the AC. I'm wondering If its something in the harness. Any ideas? Is there a schematic that shows if something like injectors or a sensor shares the same harness section with the wires to the compressor?
Thanks

SeanoftheDead86

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
I'm going to put my hat in the ring with everyone else with A/C issues. I bought the car (2016 EX-T) in December of 2017 and moved back to Georgia in the Spring of 2018. Once I started running my A/C more and realized it wasn't working properly, I took it in and they replaced the compressor under warranty due to a leak. Fast-forward to this year I am having the same issue. Car is at the dealership waiting on word back from a goodwill request the dealership did to see how much Honda will pay for a new compressor since it's now out of warranty.

It's a bit frustrating. The wife and I had already decided sometime in the fall we would be trading in the car for a truck. As much as I love the car, a truck would be a lot more useful to have around now. But this issue is just giving me more of a reason to want to do it even sooner.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Unbelievable. I had to have my A/C repaired about a year and a half ago under warranty. It's not working again and now I'm out of warranty. For f***'s sake.

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Seems like Honda has a serious problem on their hands here. They just replaced mine a week ago, but with my warranty expiring at the end of the month I think I'll definitely be trading in for something else.

Azjose86

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Just had my 2018 Si with 13k miles serviced yesterday. Ac was blowing cool, but not cold. According to the tech, the oring that connects to the compressor was not installed properly from factory. Replaced and did another test sbf ckukfbt find any more leaks. Ax worked great after, let's just hope no more ac issues.

This is definitely my last Honda I buy. I was stupidly loyal to them as they've always had great quality in the Hondas ivd owned. I doubt this car will last ver long after warranty expires. I'll probably sell it here in a few months when my loan allows it.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I strongly urge everyone to call Honda Corporate and voice your complaints. There's no reason so many of us should be paying $1400 to repair the air conditioning system.

Phone
General Inquiries: (800) 999-1009 toll free
Monday – Friday: 6:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific

aclark414

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
If you are out of warranty, call your dealer and ask them for a good will repair. They will work with their local Honda contacts on your behalf. My dealer said they are WELL AWARE of the issues with the AC system and so is Honda. They also said Honda won't recall it because it's not a safety issue, but they will more than likely participate in good will repairs like this. I was quoted $1,200. Honda covered 70%, dealer covered the rest except for $150.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Was quoted for $1400. Opened a case with Honda. Dealer also said other parts of my car got damaged due to the leakage from the condenser. The dealer service guy told my case manager this. Then my case manager had the audacity to hint that I was trying to throw in freebies (the resultant damage caused by the leakage) as I'm trying to get good will out of the A/C. Unbelievable. Now they're escalating to another case manager.

The dealer service rep did tell me they are getting a ton of these A/C problems as well and felt it was a faulty design with their A/C unit - if this is true, it does not make sense to keep this car for too long as it's an automatic $1400 for them every year or two.

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
EVERYONE TAKE A LOOK AT THIS! Widespread problem and honda is now facing a class action lawsuit over it. My dealership tried to tell me a rock hit my ac condenser unit. Something didn't seem right when they wouldn't show me the damage. I looked it up online and thousands of complaints all over. I called Honda corporate pissed off. Don't let the dealerships scam you out of money, these AC systems are faulty and stop working, it is NOT road hazard damage!!!

5B6C2EA1-7946-4A02-BFFD-9C328C6A44E8.jpg
Could you please share the link to this? or how do i get there?
Sponsored