15% oil life at 2500 miles

Jx_90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
So my car just got the maintenence pop up for an oil change at 2500 miles with 15% oil life. Is this normal? Everything I have been reading online from other users say they are able to get to 7500 to 10000 miles before they get their reminder and their oil life doesn't go down as fast as mine. I have only had my car for a little over 2 months at this point and I feel like I'm not even pushing my car to the fullest.

Could it be just a sensor issue? I'm going to call my dealership after work today and see what they say but it has me worried beause I leave for a 500 mile road trip tomorrow and won't have time to do an oil change until after I get back next Monday.

Has anyone else had their oil change minder pop up with a low oil life below 3000 miles?
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's my understanding the oil change alert is based on several factors, not just mileage. If you're driving the thing like you're running from space invaders 24/7, the oil alert is going to pop up faster than if you're trying to squeeze 40+mph all times.

I'd check your oil level and see what the oil looks like. Being a new car, might be worth sending your oil out for analysis also.

OP
OP

Jx_90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
It's my understanding the oil change alert is based on several factors, not just mileage. If you're driving the thing like you're running from space invaders 24/7, the oil alert is going to pop up faster than if you're trying to squeeze 40+mph all times.

I'd check your oil level and see what the oil looks like. Being a new car, might be worth sending your oil out for analysis also.
That's the thing, I don't feel like I drive my car to crazy. Yea I usually am the first of the line at a red light and I don't usually wait for the car to warm up before I start driving. But I drive very defensively, I don't even punch the gas hard enough for the turbo to fully kick in most of the time (except for the first week or so). I also feel like I'm not getting the mpg that most people get, I drive maybe 90% in the city with traffic on a daily basis and I average 22mpg.

Either way I'll be making an appointment for an oil change and get the dealer's opinion

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
You're correct. It's not normal. Hopefully the dealer will have an answer for you. Mine has 8,900 miles on it and it is still at 20% oil life.

finalnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my car just got the maintenence pop up for an oil change at 2500 miles with 15% oil life. Is this normal? Everything I have been reading online from other users say they are able to get to 7500 to 10000 miles before they get their reminder and their oil life doesn't go down as fast as mine. I have only had my car for a little over 2 months at this point and I feel like I'm not even pushing my car to the fullest.

Could it be just a sensor issue? I'm going to call my dealership after work today and see what they say but it has me worried beause I leave for a 500 mile road trip tomorrow and won't have time to do an oil change until after I get back next Monday.

Has anyone else had their oil change minder pop up with a low oil life below 3000 miles?
Have you pulled the dipstick to see what shape the oil is in?

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15% at 2500 miles is way off from normal. Hell, that would've been bad 10 years ago.

Last edited:

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
That's the thing, I don't feel like I drive my car to crazy. Yea I usually am the first of the line at a red light and I don't usually wait for the car to warm up before I start driving. But I drive very defensively, I don't even punch the gas hard enough for the turbo to fully kick in most of the time (except for the first week or so). I also feel like I'm not getting the mpg that most people get, I drive maybe 90% in the city with traffic on a daily basis and I average 22mpg.

Either way I'll be making an appointment for an oil change and get the dealer's opinion
Stop and go city driving is the worst possible thing for your oil, particularly if it's largely short trips. Mine hit 15% somewhere around the 7,000 mile mark, got my change around 7,500, but that's with 37 MPG average, usually trips around 10+ miles with very little stop and go driving included, with the occasional highway jaunt to make it even easier on the car. Definitely get the dealer's opinion, and as others have suggested, perhaps a used oil analysis, but I don't see it as impossible that conditions like that would necessitate a change much earlier than average.

Captain

Ghost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic FB7 , 2020Civic FC5
Country flag
that's not normal I'm changing engine oil every 11000 or 12000 Km when the show is %5
Oil life

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm at 80% with about 3,200 miles on this oil. Even with all-city driving 2,500 is really low. If you're about to go on that road trip, IMO I'd ignore the maintenance minder this time and go on the road trip. If its mainly highway too, I wouldn't worry, just have the dealer check it out when you get back.

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Stop and go city driving is the worst possible thing for your oil, particularly if it's largely short trips.
^^^ This. How long are your average trips around town? If your average commute is under 10 minutes, your engine oil may never have a chance to fully heat to remove the moisture. Lots of short trips without occasional long trips are car killers.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
^^^ This. How long are your average trips around town? If your average commute is under 10 minutes, your engine oil may never have a chance to fully heat to remove the moisture. Lots of short trips without occasional long trips are car killers.
+1 - It might be accurate

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Sounds like you're in terrible stop and go (Chicago) traffic. Check oil level and make sure it's at least 1/2 way between full and a quart low (between the dots) and doesn't smell strongly of gas. Take your trip and see if you mileage improves dramatically - a few extra miles beyond the MM alert won't hurt anything.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
But I drive very defensively, I don't even punch the gas hard enough for the turbo to fully kick in most of the time (except for the first week or so).
That's probably what did it IMO, were you punching the gas hard while it was still cold?

Even after the coolant temp gets to the normal range, your oil is still fairly cold until a few mins later as well FYI.
Sponsored