12V power in the trunk?

dimabr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX 2016
Country flag
so much useful info here guys. new on the site, not new to forums... new to Civics.

where I can tap 12v in the trunk of my 2016 EX 4dr (US model)? specifically 12v thats powered with the ignition. I need less than .5 amps to power the radio unit.

google has not helped.
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I believe with allot of cars, you'll need to run your own from the battery. Is this a sub you're trying to install?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
lol I doubt it's going to be a sub when he plans to draw 0.5 amps.

OP, the best thing for you would be to tap into a fuse that's powered by ignition only. A/C is one that easily comes to mind.
Run a wire from the fuse to the back, and ground it to the frame there.

I can't think of any circuit that's towards the rear of the car that's switched by ignition.

OP
OP
dimabr

dimabr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX 2016
Country flag
lol I doubt it's going to be a sub when he plans to draw 0.5 amps.

OP, the best thing for you would be to tap into a fuse that's powered by ignition only. A/C is one that easily comes to mind.
Run a wire from the fuse to the back, and ground it to the frame there.

I can't think of any circuit that's towards the rear of the car that's switched by ignition.
Thanks. Def not a sub:) just a ham radio for recievng. It's a lease and I don't want to tear apart molding to run the line. Was hopeful.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
My bad. My brain apparently skiped over the .5 amps. Be careful with the wiring. Try to be as un-invasive as possible. You don't want to void any warranties, if it's avoidable.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
No need to tear apart moulding. Since you're not going to need thick gauge wire, you can just tuck it either in the floorboards or the roof liner, along either side of the car.

Definitely should not void any warranties. Use an add-a-circuit and you'll be able to return completely to stock later.

OP
OP
dimabr

dimabr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX 2016
Country flag
Thsts the plan. I had a previous gen civic in a lease too. Did the radio thing too but powered from the cabin cigarette lighter.
This time I want to put the radio in trunk and put the head over a remote connection.

OP
OP
dimabr

dimabr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX 2016
Country flag
Project coming along. Fuse tap was the perfect solution. Installed radio in the trunk, ran the remote head to the front. Attached radio using a 3m command strip. a few pictures

Honda Civic 10th gen 12V power in the trunk? ima

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just spent some time in this area on my 2018 hatchback, running power for headrest monitors... I could just be confused about orientation, but it seemed to me when I tested the fuse tap, I had to have it facing the other way so that the fuse would actually work... Which side of the bus is hot here? It seemed to me when I tested i that it had to be backwards from how you have yours facing, but I could be wrong. Just thought it might be worth clarifying, as I don't see any indication on the fuse panel as to which side is always hot and which side is the "after fuse" connection. On the fuse tap itself, I assume the side with the wire coming out is "post fuse" but I guess you can't assume anything. :)
Sponsored