baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
@baldheadracing once the PRL high volume intake is released can you possibly get the guys at 11/10ths to run it head to head with the eventuri?
My understanding from Dave is that the team is planning a second round. I know that he has reached out to PRL, Mishi, and some others that I can't remember at the moment. I also hope to have the Acuity intake in time round 2, as I feel pretty certain that Acuity's intake will blow away everybody else's, just like their previous intake did for 9th-gen's - I am obviously biased, although I have the Eventuri.

However, all of the intakes in the first round were from people who bought the respective intakes. There weren't any review units, or units from people with a relationship with the manufacturer. That complete independence is part of what makes the test interesting to me - no fine print or disclaimers or trying to read between the lines of marketing verbiage needed. 11/10ths was after the fastest intake for their team, and decided to share the results with the community at large. Kudos to them.
Sponsored

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
The effort is certainly appreciated, but I wish they had shown the actual torque/HP curves.

Talking about peak numbers is nearly pointless. All the intakes made the same peak torque because that's all they're ever going to do without additional changes to torque request tables. Chasing a couple of HP difference in peak number to get "the best intake" completely glosses over the fact that area under the curve is what matters. Which intakes allowed you to hit the higher torque targets mid RPM range, and which ones opened up some margin for additional tuning?

winsanity324

@WNSNTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The effort is certainly appreciated, but I wish they had shown the actual torque/HP curves.

Talking about peak numbers is nearly pointless. All the intakes made the same peak torque because that's all they're ever going to do without additional changes to torque request tables. Chasing a couple of HP difference in peak number to get "the best intake" completely glosses over the fact that area under the curve is what matters. Which intakes allowed you to hit the higher torque targets mid RPM range, and which ones opened up some margin for additional tuning?

14:57 in the video

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
14:57 in the video
Well shoot... Excuse me while I remove the foot from my mouth and watch the rest of the video :nono:

EDIT: Alright, graph in hand, and I hope they change the way they test in round 2. I'm guessing that MAF scaling wasn't addressed based on Injen response, and that the deltas would go down if trims were adjusted for each intake. Either way, I'd say those results just show that an intake is not worth the money over stock unless a dedicated tune is done as well. Hats off to the boys for doing the work regardless of outcome though.

Last edited:

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Well shoot... Excuse me while I remove the foot from my mouth and watch the rest of the video :nono:

EDIT: Alright, graph in hand, and I hope they change the way they test in round 2. I'm guessing that MAF scaling wasn't addressed based on Injen response, and that the deltas would go down if trims were adjusted for each intake. Either way, I'd say those results just show that an intake is not worth the money over stock unless a dedicated tune is done as well. Hats off to the boys for doing the work regardless of outcome though.
They "showed" the graphs, but not in any usable manner. You can't put 8 sets of curves on top of each other in a single graph and be able to see anything. Have you found them somewhere else that can be seen better?

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
They "showed" the graphs, but not in any usable manner. You can't put 8 sets of curves on top of each other in a single graph and be able to see anything. Have you found them somewhere else that can be seen better?
No, but I didn't look too hard. They responded in the comments section that they did zero MAF scaling corrections, and that's where I stopped looking too close.
Sponsored