Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh trust me ... they are there lol.
horrible tuners plain and simple. DRob and Derftuned never blew any type R's they've tuned and trust me they tuned a whole bunch
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
You could have the best tuner in the world... and in the hands of a careless owner, it's going to blow. One overrev or missed OCI is all it really takes.

It's very difficult to badmouth any tuner when we don't know all the details leading up to the failure. I don't know Shawn or Daniel personally, but I know several guys tuned by them running well over 80-90K off their work.

The apparent difference? The guys I know datalog semi-regularly and actually care about how their cars run. :cool:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could have the best tuner in the world... and in the hands of a careless owner, it's going to blow. One overrev or missed OCI is all it really takes.

It's very difficult to badmouth any tuner when we don't know all the details leading up to the failure. I don't know Shawn or Daniel personally, but I know several guys tuned by them running well over 80-90K off their work.

The apparent difference? The guys I know datalog semi-regularly and actually care about how their cars run. :cool:
Lol on other cars sure but 10th gen civics they’ve been struggling

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
horrible tuners plain and simple. DRob and Derftuned never blew any type R's they've tuned and trust me they tuned a whole bunch
alot of them seems to blow by the use of anti-lag and has nothing to really do with the tune itself ...
really hard to see the actual reason where just like this case, people are so "quiet" about it.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
alot of them seems to blow by the use of anti-lag and has nothing to really do with the tune itself ...
really hard to see the actual reason where just like this case, people are so "quiet" about it.
Well antilag is a hondata thing lol they recommend it for their customer. Ktuner on the other hand has the option but tuners will disable for ya

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner had Anti-lag too, but it isn't needed with Ktuner because of the quick adjustments. They keep the turbo spun up so the car has quick response to the throttle, even at mid throttle. That is a much more solid solution!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
With all this talk of people being told to keep things quiet, are we implying that it was Hondata?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Well antilag is a hondata thing lol they recommend it for their customer. Ktuner on the other hand has the option but tuners will disable for ya
it actually says not to use on stock engine but :dunno:
ppl want pops and bangs and they pay the price for it.
With all this talk of people being told to keep things quiet, are we implying that it was Hondata?
the guy in the video is using hondata yes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I know he was using Hondata. What I meant was are people being told by Hondata not to let the real story out.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner had Anti-lag too, but it isn't needed with Ktuner because of the quick adjustments. They keep the turbo spun up so the car has quick response to the throttle, even at mid throttle. That is a much more solid solution!
People like anti lag for the noise lol plain and simple.

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
385whp is way too much for stock internals. I am.not sure why He sounded sad, that is a pretty obvious outcome. I had a b16 84mm and stock i went 340whp after forged internals 765whp. An experienced tuner should have advised him better. Even with forged internals the max this little car will handle is about 450whp (guessing here) any more will probably brake the cylinder walls.
If that is true that 385whp on our Si is way too much I find that a bit disappointing considering what the k series were capable of holding on stock internals. I guess that was expected though when going with a smaller displacement...

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
If that is true that 385whp on our Si is way too much I find that a bit disappointing considering what the k series were capable of holding on stock internals. I guess that was expected though when going with a smaller displacement...
I'm not sure what people expect for a fully loaded car costing $22K with a LSD. To keep it at or around that price point, Honda built some room in it for some extra power, but didn't want it to compete with the CTR. They could have easily put in a detuned 2.0L like they did in the Accord Sport, but that would have brought the price closer to $30K. This car was built to have some fun, but at the same time be efficient, and a comfortable daily driver, and last 10 years or more. I don't know to much about the K series, but they are NA and I believe 2.0L engines that output their maximum power late into the rpm range. Once you start adding boost into that mix, the longevity of that engine would become more questionable without swapping internals

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Oh, I know he was using Hondata. What I meant was are people being told by Hondata not to let the real story out.
oh who knows. The tuner recommended for him to not run full E85 iirc but he did it anyways ...:dunno:

the dude himself along with the person whos building his motor seems like a very secretive guy from reading his comments with who i assume is LilToTo17.

you also have to realize, the K series were making that power on like 11lb of boost while these 1.5s are pushing alot more boost.

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure what people expect for a fully loaded car costing $22K with a LSD. To keep it at or around that price point, Honda built some room in it for some extra power, but didn't want it to compete with the CTR. They could have easily put in a detuned 2.0L like they did in the Accord Sport, but that would have brought the price closer to $30K. This car was built to have some fun, but at the same time be efficient, and a comfortable daily driver, and last 10 years or more. I don't know to much about the K series, but they are NA and I believe 2.0L engines that output their maximum power late into the rpm range. Once you start adding boost into that mix, the longevity of that engine would become more questionable without swapping internals
I guess im just comparing it to a previous platform of mines.. I had a 2005 SRT-4 (yes a neon) lol I pushed it to 450hp and around 460tq and I raced very often but I took good care of it when it came to maintenance. Oil change every 3k I had alot of fun with the car but took good care of it. when I sold the car in 2014 I was at 130k miles original motor and tranny and still running great the motor was a 2.4 so again a bigger displacement then a 1.5 so I guess its true what they say theres no replacement for displacement lol. But to answer your question about what people expect from a car in this price range I expected more considering the SRT-4 was in this same price range in 2003-2005 granted I will say in every other way this car is better then the SRT much better interior technology ect. but those neons were stout regardless of how much people bashed them.

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s an update that just appeared on my YouTube page for anyone interested.

Sponsored