10th Gen Paint Quality

Honda U.K. manufacturing poor paint quality?

• Total voters

DC401

FC1
First Name
Daro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 SI
Country flag
Has anyone had issues with paint quality? I feel like the paint on my car is extremely prone to chipping. Could this be an paint adhesion problem?

I keep my distance when driving behind other cars and I park as far away from other people when possible.

I’ve owned my 2017 Crystal Black Pearl SI for nearly a year now with about 22k miles.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned and driven a dozen+ cars in my time. None of them were as prone to chipping as the Civic. I don't know if it's thin paint, lousy clearcoat or what, but the paint is weak.

If you search, you'll see this is a major complaint with the 10th gen.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
Has anyone had issues with paint quality? I feel like the paint on my car is extremely prone to chipping. Could this be an paint adhesion problem?

I keep my distance when driving behind other cars and I park as far away from other people when possible.

I’ve owned my 2017 Crystal Black Pearl SI for nearly a year now with about 22k miles.
It just shows you care more about your car.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine isn't a UK made civic, but the paint is pretty thin. Several chips on the hood .

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
Toyota/Lexus paint is just as bad,
German company vehicles have better paint or maybe the paint is put on a bit thicker.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Having owned many Hondas in the past, while the paint quality has never been great, the CivicX is by far the worse I've seen from them. I've found chips on the roof even, which is definitely a first for me. The windshield isn't much better than the paint, it will chip very easily as well. Enough reports of them shattering too.

Its amazing that I owned one of the most bad repped Hondas for cheapness (a 2012 Civic Si) - and this new generation was supposed to fix all those issues. Well - Honda sure did a number on us, they cut costs in less obvious areas, so the interior headliner isn't the mouse fur and actually feels nice, but the hood is just flimsy and the paint and body work is falling apart. Same color too - PMM.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I have paint chipping and stripping off around the driver side orange side marker light, just really bad quality work from Honda with their paint.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Clear coat is very very thin on the Chinese civics too, but i noticed a sensible improvement in the finish on the latest cars while going around the showroom during my last service.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's just honda all makes and models have cheaper paint now days just have a look in a parking lot most of them will have paint chips on them. But having said there is only 1 chip on my hood and it was there when I bought the car

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Speaking from experience of having 6 civics (95, 07, 10, 13, 14, 16) The 8th gen civics were the WORST by a pretty wide margin. It was better on my 9th, and it's better on my 10th. Yes, the paint is thin, the clearcoat is thin, the biggest difference is that most automakers switched to environmentally friendly water based car paint and it just doesn't hold up like oil based paint does (something the german autos still use i believe).

I can say after a year and a half, my paint is holding up better than it did on my 8th gen. Again, it's still not great, but better than it was. The switch to water based paints requires thicker clearcoat to protect the finish, but with that is increased costs and time spent in factory.

It's not great, but its not as bad as it was just 10 years ago. However, my 95 had the best paint of all my civics, even as a 10 year old car with 200k miles it had less chips than my 8th gen did when i traded it in after 3.5 years.

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
I think it's not only Honda UK.

Mine's from Honda Thailand and I have bad chipping as well.

Some of it even have impact crates on them (looks like the top of a volcano).

I've had a 2010 Honda City before this one, the paint on that chips easily as well.

Honestly I've stopped giving a f*ck on it anymore. I'll just have it repainted when it looks too bad.

Clear bra/PPF isn't an option for me since it repainting the whole bumper costs significantly less.

OP
OP
DC401

DC401

FC1
First Name
Daro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 SI
Country flag

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Same here, 2017 CBP Si, a little over a year, 23k.
I feel like the paint is one of the few things about the car that is disappointing and I've had numerous chips.

kcabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic LX | 2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
My 2003 Civic (300,000 km) had as many paint chips as my 2016 Civic (30,000 km), and my driving conditions have not changed much between driving the two vehicles. So yeah, I'd say the 2016 Civic is very prone to paint chips.
Sponsored