2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
It was hit 60 miles+ head-on with a Freightliner tractor. Front passenger compartment completely destroyed with engine out of the car. I dont know any car could have survived that....

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Who cares about the car. The big question is the driver and passenger (if any) are not dead, or got serious, permanent injuries. If I where in an accident, I would prefer my car to disintegrate in dust particle at the moment of impact than get injured in any way. Cars can be replaced, but lives no.

(Also, you have insurances, they'll mark it as totaled, and you'll get a new Honda Civic or money for one, or almost one (all depending on your policy))

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
No car could have helped the occupants with that accident. I will say I wasn't happy about how my insurance company rates the Civic. I was told when I saw the cost increase that Civics do not rate well.

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
No car could have helped the occupants with that accident. I will say I wasn't happy about how my insurance company rates the Civic. I was told when I saw the cost increase that Civics do not rate well.
That is silly. I recall researching on the Civic 10th gen before I got the 2016 and it rated very well. Maybe the insurance meant that it didn't rate well for them (as in, the car gets totaled easily) and not for you (your chances of survival are higher). Maybe, newer cars got better or tests changed in the US, it is all I can think about, is that is the case. Or, and most likely, the Civic has more accident than, say a Toyota Corolla, due to the target market the car aims to (younger people that seek a sporty but affordable, reliable car with a good engine vs a car aimed at people in their 50's+, which are more experience driver and therefore have less accident as a result).

But I would shop around for car insurances, sometimes they increase the premium, or not giving y9our the best offer in the hope you don't shop around.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I found this pic of a 10th gen Civic that was involved in an accident with a semi truck. It looks like the ACE structure didn't hold up too well. Both occupants of the Civic were killed, although they weren't wearing their seat belts. More info here: https://www.keyt.com/news/santa-mar...fatal-crash-on-highway-166-released/744161083

highway%20166%20fatal%20crash%20052018_1526926689534.jpg_11593439_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
So, you signed up to a model specific website to tell us that our compact cars can't handle a 60 mph head on collision with an oil tanker ?
What is the point ?
I think that we already knew that this would be the case.

I will say I wasn't happy about how my insurance company rates the Civic. I was told when I saw the cost increase that Civics do not rate well.
Note that insurance premiums are partially based on the accident record of a model. If the people driving a particular model are more prone to get into accidents, then the premiums will be higher. In my jurisdiction, Corollas are more prone to accidents than Civics are so the Corolla has higher premiums. This was the opposite of what I was expecting. Beware of what any single Insurance Company tells you. They may just be rationalizing overcharging you. As a previous poster said, shop around.

Last edited:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I dont think any average vehicle would not get disintegrated in that kind of accident...

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
It also takes into consideration how much technology is integrated and the cost. For example replacing a windshield on a touring isn't just replacing the windshield but also the sensors. My mother has a 2018 Camry XSE with all the safety features...yeah it isn't cheap for the insurance. Definitely shop around! We were being charged 600 Dollars a month for both our cars at full coverage with our old insurance. We shopped around and ended up paying about 250-300 a month.

About the accident, I don't know any passenger vehicle that would survive a head on collision. Even if they did wear their seatbelts, the whole front was pretty much collapsed. May they Rest in Peace though.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
isn't using don't and not called using a double negative and is considered a faux paux.
Why are you replying to every post I post...and your posts do not make sense lol

And yes I wrote it wrong :)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found this pic of a 10th gen Civic that was involved in an accident with a semi truck. It looks like the ACE structure didn't hold up too well. Both occupants of the Civic were killed, although they weren't wearing their seat belts. More info here: https://www.keyt.com/news/santa-mar...fatal-crash-on-highway-166-released/744161083

highway%20166%20fatal%20crash%20052018_1526926689534.jpg_11593439_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Im not sure what the OP's intent or point is here but if you hit an 18 wheeler head on at freeway speed, well I dont think too many cars will survive. Here is a 35 mph frontal collision test and the civic handles it very well and gets 5 stars.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
;;isn't using don't and not called using a doublenegative and is considereda faux paux.

wow. thanks. i was wondering about that..
:doh:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Nothing shocking here.

An average 80,000 lb truck hitting a 3,000 lb car at the equivalent of 110 mph (55mph speed limit in either direction) is a nearly unimaginable amount of force.

The fact that the car/passengers didn't survive is no great shocker and has no bearing on either the safety rating of the car or the truck. Safety ratings are for the most common accident speeds that shouldn't result in injury or death, generally low speed fender benders at intersections. If they had to make cars safe at 100+ mph we'd all drive tanks, or cars made of exotic materials that would drive the cost through the roof.
Sponsored