nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Picked up the Modern Steel sedan yesterday. Like it. :thumbsup:

Only a couple nits to pick...

As much as I read up beforehand, I managed to miss that an auto dimming rearview mirror was optional. I didn't even know they still made the flip-to-change mirrors, let alone put them in new vehicles. I'd expect the Homelink feature to be optional, but not the auto dimming. Drove for 30 years without that, but have taken it for granted the last 10. It may not bother me enough to actually spend $200 after the fact, but I sure as hell would have gotten it if the option guy had mentioned it.

Also managed to miss the fix-a-flat kit instead of a spare tire. If a may-pop spare isn't an option, it certainly should be. This will bother me enough to do something about it.

Have shifted from 5 to 4 several times now instead of 5 to 6. I laughed at my wife struggle with 6th... but not anymore.

Otherwise... overall excellent fitment, quiet, no obvious paint issues. First time in a several vehicles where I don't have a good dose 'miss the old car'. :yes:
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Autodim Mirror - No Civic trim comes with one, but Honda offer one as an accessory. Unfortunately, it's somewhat labor-intensive (expensive) to install. Several pieces of the interior have to be removed to install the required wiring harness. No, thanks! My windows are tinted (15% on the rear), so I haven't missed this feature, anyway.

EDIT: Oops - I was thinking of HomeLink when I said, "no Civic comes with". To clarify, The EX-L and Touring coupe and sedan along with the EX-L Navi and Sport Touring hatchback do come with an autodimming rearview mirror. Unfortunately, HomeLink is not available through Honda on any Civic - even as an accessory.

Spare Tire - Canadian models come with a spare tire kit, but US models don't. You can buy all the parts, but be prepared to spend north of $500. Since the spare tire pan isn't deep enough to hold a spare, Honda's solution involves foam spacers and a new trunk floor to raise the sides to the same height as the spare tire and tools which eats up some trunk space.

5-6 Shift - Mine was reluctant to shift from 5th to 6th at first, but it got better (or I adapted) over time. After 3 months and 3,000 miles, it now shifts fine. What helped me was cupping my hand over the front, left side of the shift knob and gently guiding it to the lower, right. Don't worry about shifting into reverse - it's locked out while moving forward. The relatively short shifter requires precise action.

Last edited:

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
It may not bother me enough to actually spend $200 after the fact, but I sure as hell would have gotten it if the option guy had mentioned it.
I bought a spoon sports blue wide mirror for my type r. $50 it goes on top of your mirror and the blue tint reduces headlight glare. The concave shape takes a few days to get used too but you have a wider view.

First time since my 2011 V6 accord that I did not have the auto-dim mirror and I could not get used to the flip thing. The auto-dim mirror would probably be a lot more than $200 to have installed now with the labor charge. I am happy with the spoon mirror but I don't know what size/model# fits the si.

Have shifted from 5 to 4 several times now instead of 5 to 6.
When I learned manual I could not get this right for a week. Always ended up back in 4. I still don't know why it kept happening for so long.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Autodim Mirror - No Civic trim comes with one, but Honda offer one as an accessory.
In Canada, the Touring comes with an auto-dimming rear view mirror. Is it different in the United States?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Drove for 30 years without that, but have taken it for granted the last 10
FWIW, I was worried about not having it also, coming from at least 13 years (possibly longer - can't remember if the previous car had it) of driving with it, but I'm at around 4K miles on the Si now and I haven't once noticed that I'm lacking/missing anything in that department.

The spare tire fiasco though... :mad::banghead:

It's an absolute marvel of a car, aside of the very few little gripes.
Congrats, and enjoy!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In Canada, the Touring comes with an auto-dimming rear view mirror. Is it different in the United States?
The EX-L and Touring have it in the U.S.
I test drove an EX-L navi also (first). Saw it there and quit paying attention, I guess.
Oops. Thanks, everyone! I had HomeLink on the brain when I said that "no Civic comes with". I edited my post to clarify that some Civic trims do indeed come with an autodimming rearview mirror and that no Civic offers HomeLink - even as an accessory.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have shifted from 5 to 4 several times now instead of 5 to 6. I laughed at my wife struggle with 6th... but not anymore.
What helped me was cupping my hand over the front, left side of the shift knob and gently guiding it to the lower, right.
Here's a video showing how I shift...

OP
OP

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I drove quite a bit this morning and didn't have any issues. I think it just takes some getting used to when you've been out of a manual for several years.

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Takes a while when you are used to only driving a 5 speed as well.
Sponsored