TimmyRox

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Thank you all for your input, this thread has been very informative. I was leaning towards getting the spot sedan before I started this thread and now I feel a lot more confident that it is the right decision for me. I will do some more research for the lower trim levels but I personally think the extra bit of money for the sport is worth the extra few features/looks of what I am looking for (though not a huge fan of the chrome HDMI port exhaust o_O).
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you all for your input, this thread has been very informative. I was leaning towards getting the spot sedan before I started this thread and now I feel a lot more confident that it is the right decision for me. I will do some more research for the lower trim levels but I personally think the extra bit of money for the sport is worth the extra few features/looks of what I am looking for (though not a huge fan of the chrome HDMI port exhaust o_O).
Whatever you pick... good luck! :thumbsup:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
three tenth gen civics for me 1 2.0, 1 1.5, 1 SI. all mt's, the 1.5 and the 2.0 got virtually got the same milage. what this tells me that they both have the same power not really but close. you loose in the 1.5 if you use any kind of boost, mpg wise. this is more evident in the SI, use the peddle and down goes mpg. my mpg's were all well over 40 but in the SI its 37 highway that is. it will take some restraint to get over 40 in the si for me.
get the 2.0 unless you have a lead foot.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
three tenth gen civics for me 1 2.0, 1 1.5, 1 SI. all mt's, the 1.5 and the 2.0 got virtually got the same milage. what this tells me that they both have the same power not really but close. you loose in the 1.5 if you use any kind of boost, mpg wise. this is more evident in the SI, use the peddle and down goes mpg. my mpg's were all well over 40 but in the SI its 37 highway that is. it will take some restraint to get over 40 in the si for me.
get the 2.0 unless you have a lead foot.
The 1.5T and 2.0 NA do not have similar power output. You can't equate power to mpgs because it's on demand forced induction vs. normally aspirated.

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I say this as someone who bought a 2020 Si sedan less than 48 hours ago......the Sport sedan 2.0 with a manual gearbox is probably the best overall value/long term investment in the Civic lineup. I was set to buy one last year but something told me to wait a year to see if 2020 brought any extra stuff to the Si (it did). Aside from crappy halogen headlights, the Sport sedan with the stick is kinda the ideal car you can buy for $20K actual transaction price before taxes; it's impossible to beat.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
I stand by my statement, with real world experience. Similar power, within 5% is similar enough for me. The 1.5 doesn't get 5% better mileage, but it can get worse than the 2.o depending on how driven.(both cars same way). Don't hate on the 2.0 just be cause is so close to 1.5.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
I stand by my statement, with real world experience. Similar power, within 5% is similar enough for me. The 1.5 doesn't get 5% better mileage, but it can get worse than the 2.o depending on how driven.(both cars same way). Don't hate on the 2.0 just be cause is so close to 1.5.
An 8.2 second 0-60 vs. 6.6, a 22.1 second 0-100 vs 17.7, less power, much less room for any sort of upgrades. Sure, very comparable

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not hating on a 2.0. I think it's a damn good engine... because it is. It's slightly lower compression A3 predecessor with almost identical torque/power numbers at their respective RPMs and same redline using the e-style Vtec was a good motor near 20-years ago. I liked it when I had it. It's old... but just because something old doesn't mean it isn't still good. It's certainly a huge upgrade of a base motor compared to an R18. If they had a high revving, high output variant... I would have definitely cross shopped it to the 1.5. Having already had a A3 to compare to an A2... then to a Z7... going to a C2 would have been a marked downgrade in performance, and experiencing something I already did last decade.

I agree wholeheartedly with the 1.5 being capable of getting worse fuel economy than a 2.0, because it absolutely has to inject more fuel into the engine for the 2-3 atm of pressure that the turbocharger can feed into the engine when you're demanding it. Comparing fuel consumption during WOT? The K20C2 would burn less fuel.

The other stuff... I don't agree with. It does not make similar power to a 1.5. Stock for stock it's not even close. A reflashed 2.0 will make close to similar peak numbers to a 1.5... but the area under the power curve is no where near that of what the 1.5 produces. For fuel economy... the larger engine with greater pumping losses, more internal friction due to more contact area and inability to run stratified fuel mixes under light load simply hold it back, so long as gearing or some other variable doesn't come into play. I have already provided proof for probably a thousand or more cars on fuelly for real-world information and the article that did a side-by-side. The L15B7 is more economical when used to maintain speed. Period.

It's one thing to like something more. To have preferences... and bet on port injection over direct. To see TSBs for fuel dilution and say you don't want to buy an item which that TSB is associated with. To say... nope... no turbo for me. That engine there doesn't have one and it's one less thing to break that I might have to shell out more money for... even if it's unlikely. Or decide you want a "classic" Honda NA to wind out... absolutely. That engine is the only game in town (sadly!) to do that with. Honda only makes this version of the K... the K20C1 and 4 for the CTR and Accord respectively. They've thrown the L15B7 in about everything that it's capable of moving and limited the J to their bigger vehicles, making it not an option for the Accord and they've slapped DI on it finally for a little more power and economy. The K20C2, to my knowledge, is literally the LAST Honda engine that is port injection... and their last NA 4 cylinder... except a NA L in a Fit.

Anways… to say the smaller, DI, turbo engine isn't more fuel efficient when maintaining speed or isn't more powerful is a falsehood.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Again real world experience has shown me gas mileage between the two is so close it doesn't matter. Real driving up hills, down hills, windy conditions everything.
If mpg matters in a decision as far as these two, than which one you pick doesn't matter.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Coming from someone who owns both a 2.0 and a 1.5, I can tell you they are both great engines. I wouldn’t ever say one is better then the other. They both have their pros and cons, but overall they are both amazing engines. The best advice I can give is go to the dealer and just test drive them both. It is a matter of opinion on which one is better. I don’t regret buying neither one. I love the fast responding 2.0, but I also like how the 1.5 pulls for passing power. So just go get a feel for them both, that way you can know for yourself which one puts the bigger smile on your face. And another thing to think about is do you want a manual or automatic. That’s another tough decision lol. Get yourself to that dealership and don’t buy anything until you’ve driven them both. Good luck:)
Sponsored