1.5T rough idle (feels almost like misfire)

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Since day 1 of having this car (2017 Sport 6MT) I've felt the idle to be quite unsteady. I dont mind the vibration from the engine, however it seems the motor is not idling smoothly like it should. Sometimes there is just enough of a dip in RPM to register on the tach every few seconds. Other times it feels like its running on just 3 cylinders. This is with A/C off, any load on the motor or the compressor being on and it smooths out. It feels like a 4 cylinder with a weak/dying injector...just a really soft miss.

I took it today for its first oil change @ 5,600 miles, and talked to a tech/service advisor about this issue. The tech told me that the 1.5t cars will shut down one cylinder at idle under low load conditions. While this would explain the issue, I havent heard anything about turning individual cylinders off on these motors at all. I also find it hard to believe they would even do that on a 4 cylinder as they already vibrate alot as it is.

Has anyone else heard anything about that, or perhaps experienced the same idle condition?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Since day 1 of having this car (2017 Sport 6MT) I've felt the idle to be quite unsteady. I dont mind the vibration from the engine, however it seems the motor is not idling smoothly like it should. Sometimes there is just enough of a dip in RPM to register on the tach every few seconds. Other times it feels like its running on just 3 cylinders. This is with A/C off, any load on the motor or the compressor being on and it smooths out. It feels like a 4 cylinder with a weak/dying injector...just a really soft miss.

I took it today for its first oil change @ 5,600 miles, and talked to a tech/service advisor about this issue. The tech told me that the 1.5t cars will shut down one cylinder at idle under low load conditions. While this would explain the issue, I havent heard anything about turning individual cylinders off on these motors at all. I also find it hard to believe they would even do that on a 4 cylinder as they already vibrate alot as it is.

Has anyone else heard anything about that, or perhaps experienced the same idle condition?
Tech is full of shit.
Only Honda's V6's have cylinder deactivation.

Check that the turbo hoses are all properly connected. I recall that was an issue when the civicx was still in its infancy late 2015.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
replaced the factory battery. I haven't had a idle issue or electronic since

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

If it shutdown cylinders that would have been all over the place here.. Never heard of it...

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Still having this issue occasionally. It was kinda smooth for awhile, but tonight the brake pedal was vibrating enough to shake my whole foot...

I'd like to see what the fuel trims look like...need to get a datalogger. I also plan on doing a boost leak test at some point.

replaced the factory battery. I haven't had a idle issue or electronic since
What other issues were you having? The only thing I notice on my car is that the headlights seem to dim alot when turning the steering wheel..

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Still having this issue occasionally. It was kinda smooth for awhile, but tonight the brake pedal was vibrating enough to shake my whole foot...

I'd like to see what the fuel trims look like...need to get a datalogger. I also plan on doing a boost leak test at some point.

What other issues were you having? The only thing I notice on my car is that the headlights seem to dim alot when turning the steering wheel..
Sound like to much power draw. Have them test all the electrical and battery. Or at least it's a place to start

chusucha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT Sedan
When I took it in for the recent recall issue, my dealer said the new software should fix it. It did for about a day. It does not happen all the time now; but when it does, the passenger seat vibrates and creates a rattling noise.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I notice mine dips low and idles rough when the AC is off. it drops about 100 rpms. crazy how low it can idle. lol

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Check battery clamps and perhaps even for corrosion on battery terminals. Either can cause low voltage to electronics which can cause misfire.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Don't ever believe what the Honda stealership tells you. If they admit and tons of other people have that same problem, they will have to issue a recall. They will say anything not to fix your car under warranty. I had a bad vibration with only 1000 miles and the guy told me it was because Honda only has 3 motor mounts instead of 4. I thought when you buy a car and something is wrong, it's easily fixed under warranty, not with Honda. I will never buy a Honda again. Not because the car but because the service techs all fckn lie . U have to wait until the warranty is up to find the real cause of the problem.
The grass is not greener elsewere.. Ive worked in the industry and trust me.. Just gotta find the right person at the dealerships

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't ever believe what the Honda stealership tells you. If they admit and tons of other people have that same problem, they will have to issue a recall. They will say anything not to fix your car under warranty. I had a bad vibration with only 1000 miles and the guy told me it was because Honda only has 3 motor mounts instead of 4. I thought when you buy a car and something is wrong, it's easily fixed under warranty, not with Honda. I will never buy a Honda again. Not because the car but because the service techs all fckn lie . U have to wait until the warranty is up to find the real cause of the problem.
Not sure why you quoted my post - If it's because you believe what I said, from my own experience with cars and motorcycles, then say so and I'll tell you you're wrong.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The grass is not greener elsewere.. Ive worked in the industry and trust me.. Just gotta find the right person at the dealerships
The right person and the right dealership. Good dealerships with integrity hire people with integrity, and it kinda flows top --> down (glares at Ford).

My local dealer would do anything I asked, no questions asked, no strange looks, no taking me for a ride (glares at Ford again).

If there's an issue, a good-faith dealer would attempt to diagnose and resolve, not just shrug off. :thumbsup:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I notice mine dips low and idles rough when the AC is off. it drops about 100 rpms. crazy how low it can idle. lol
Yeah with the fans off entirely its sitting at a ridiculously low 600 RPM (feels rough at idle), with accessories at 700 (extremely smooth at idle). I just keep the fan on all the time just to avoid it lol

The 1.5T is almost too small and efficient for its own good at times... :confused1:

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I don't think it was mentioned but what octane had are you using?