1.5T MAF Conversion Kit?

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
Hey guys so I've seen some threads about DIY intakes for 2016+ Hatches. However they all require hacking up the stock air box to get the MAF housing off (to add a cone filter for the whoooshh and pssshhhhhh noises) or running tubes down to the fender to pull more air.

My question is; is there any MAF housing I could buy put at the end of the plastic accordian tube and then build my own intake off that? Reason for this is my car is a lease (dont want to cut up my air box) and I have a spare cone filter lying around from my old car that passed away. I'd rather not go out and buy an entire airbox and hack that up ( I know its not expensive) but honestly I'd rather spend a little bit more and not need to chop stuff up.

ALSO, before anyone mentions it, YES I have seen PRL's conversion kit but my god that is way too much money for what it does in my opinion.

ALSO, ALSO; Yes I know power gains are not to be expected with most intakes, especially DIY for these cars, I always like a little extra engine sound though, and this is my first turboed car.

EDIT (additional question): What do you guys think of those silicone induction hoses by PRL and Mishimoto? Do they actually do anything useful or are they just eye candy under the hood?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Hey guys so I've seen some threads about DIY intakes for 2016+ Hatches. However they all require hacking up the stock air box to get the MAF housing off (to add a cone filter for the whoooshh and pssshhhhhh noises) or running tubes down to the fender to pull more air.

My question is; is there any MAF housing I could buy put at the end of the plastic accordian tube and then build my own intake off that? Reason for this is my car is a lease (dont want to cut up my air box) and I have a spare cone filter lying around from my old car that passed away. I'd rather not go out and buy an entire airbox and hack that up ( I know its not expensive) but honestly I'd rather spend a little bit more and not need to chop stuff up.

ALSO, before anyone mentions it, YES I have seen PRL's conversion kit but my god that is way too much money for what it does in my opinion.

ALSO, ALSO; Yes I know power gains are not to be expected with most intakes, especially DIY for these cars, I always like a little extra engine sound though, and this is my first turboed car.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
I don't suggest this. But if you have to save a little money at the expense of a damaged engine... You can do this diy but you'll have to find an EXACT match MAF housing and placement can throw it off as well. If you can't get it exactly to factory specs then you will need to adjust your MAF scale in your tune.

OP
OP
suckmyhatch

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
I don't suggest this. But if you have to save a little money at the expense of a damaged engine... You can do this diy but you'll have to find an EXACT match MAF housing and placement can throw it off as well. If you can't get it exactly to factory specs then you will need to adjust your MAF scale in your tune.
Thanks, I knew that already. I'm asking for help finding the right one..

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks, I knew that already. I'm asking for help finding the right one..
Check out some of PRLs threads. They might of mentioned the measurements. If not you could measure your own stock MAF housing. Then find a aftermarket one that is the same.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I’m going to say no. If you want to mod the car do it right meaning you need to spend some money, you sound like you don’t want to throw any money at the car. Also a lease? I would toss that idea in the trash. Don’t take these statements the wrong way, but the choice is ultimately up to you.

*edit You could buy a cheap short ram and use that and switch it back when you take it in. But still doesn’t make much sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
suckmyhatch

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are going to go through the process of a diy intake without hacking your stuff, just buy a cheap SRI from ebay or amazon. Lots of us run the AF Dynamic SRI. It takes like 20 minutes to install, and then you can easily go back to stock when the lease is over. You dont have to remove the lower stock box.

OP
OP
suckmyhatch

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
I’m going to say no. If you want to mod the car do it right meaning you need to spend some money, you sound like you don’t want to throw any money at the car. Also a lease? I would toss that idea in the trash. Don’t take these statements the wrong way, but the choice is ultimately up to you.
Why would I want to spend $300+ on a car I'm not keeping? This is the reason I'm not lowering or doing an exhaust to it either. Way to costly for a car I'm borrowing until I can afford something I actually want. And then I gotta worry about reselling the parts and losing money there too? Just want to have some fun with it for the remaining 2 years, throw the stuff away after I return the car, as long as it doesn't blow up (which it wont) who cares. Don't mean to sound hostile, no offense was taken by your post, I do understand your comments/concerns.

OP
OP
suckmyhatch

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
If you are going to go through the process of a diy intake without hacking your stuff, just buy a cheap SRI from ebay or amazon. Lots of us run the AF Dynamic SRI. It takes like 20 minutes to install, and then you can easily go back to stock when the lease is over. You dont have to remove the lower stock box.
Yeah the AF one is in my sights as well, my goal is under like 80$ for it though due to reasons in my last reply

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah the AF one is in my sights as well, my goal is under like 80$ for it though due to reasons in my last reply
under $80, well um probably not worth it. a homemade is more likely to throw fueling wayyy off so youll be running like doodoo and wasting gas.

OP
OP
suckmyhatch

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
under $80, well um probably not worth it. a homemade is more likely to throw fueling wayyy off so youll be running like doodoo and wasting gas.
Yeah but see I did the same thing to my 04 Audi A6 3.0L (which somehow was easier to do/get the parts for than this car) and had no issue. Car never lost gas mileage (wasnt great to begin with) and didn't have any related running issues, felt better if anything a little more responsive. So basically wont the ECU see any new discrepancy and adjust accordingly anyway?

Edit: Audi kit cost 100$ flat. I also owned that car so spending more money wasn't an issue there just found a good option at a good price.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah but see I did the same thing to my 04 Audi A6 3.0L (which somehow was easier to do/get the parts for than this car) and had no issue. Car never lost gas mileage (wasnt great to begin with) and didn't have any related running issues, felt better if anything a little more responsive. So basically wont the ECU see any new discrepancy and adjust accordingly anyway?

Edit: Audi kit cost 100$ flat. I also owned that car so spending more money wasn't an issue there just found a good option at a good price.
It's a lease, the lease company could care less if you turn it in with the intake. all they want is no body damage, no interior damage and the mileage. Time is money, and the time its taking you to source your own diy kit, you could just order the SRI and have it installed in less time

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Unless you are prepared to tune for it, I have to say that I agree with some of the others and that this is a bad idea. Just ask @PRL Motorsports how much effort they put into replicating the factory MAF housing for their street intakes. To expect to do it well with random components off the shelf is unfortunately not realistic.
Sponsored