1.5t bogs down or hesitates when accelerating from a stop...is this normal?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2 things, its probably the way the cvt and turbo are working, are you running 87 octane, are you in warmer climate? 2nd, it could be your driving style as well. Anyhow, I can promise you if you get a ktuner (barring you dont have an actual mechanical issue) you wont have that feeling about your car after the tune.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White
Country flag
2 things, its probably the way the cvt and turbo are working, are you running 87 octane, are you in warmer climate? 2nd, it could be your driving style as well. Anyhow, I can promise you if you get a ktuner (barring you dont have an actual mechanical issue) you wont have that feeling about your car after the tune.
I'm running 93 octane, after trying 89 for a bit, can't say I noticed any improvement with the 93. I assume that a Ktuner will void the warranty?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running 93 octane, after trying 89 for a bit, can't say I noticed any improvement with the 93. I assume that a Ktuner will void the warranty?
While you may not notice the difference, the engine will. 89 has less knock resistance than 93 so your knock control will run a little higher and reduce power slightly. As you said probably not noticeable stock since the stock calibration is made for 87. As for Ktuner voiding. Running Ktuner does not outright void your warranty. I have had more than a few things replaced while I run ktuner. But I flash stock before going in and I dont let them know I run a tuned car. There are no flash counters and no datalogs recorded unless you get a cel so unless you come in with a rod through the block they would have no reason to think you were tuned. and if you do come in with a rod through the block, well you got bigger problems than being tuned

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I started using the stage 0 tune and noticed less lag in everything, except from a stop, from idle, and up to 1500 rpm or so there are minimal gains at best. How much power is going to the wheels in this scenario? I'm guessing not a lot. The off the line low hp tq/cvt lag combo does help save on tires, but those precious couple of seconds when you realize you're barely moving can be quite annoying. For everything else the car does fine.

Changing to 93 octane gave me a nice power gain, and helps with off the line. Too bad it's so much more expensive than 87. The 93 also improved my mileage by about 3 mpg. I may keep using it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I started using the stage 0 tune and noticed less lag in everything, except from a stop, from idle, and up to 1500 rpm or so there are minimal gains at bestSt
Wouldn't Stage 0 basically be just a notch above the stock tune? At a minimum, try Stage 1, it will be a big improvement.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I started using the stage 0 tune and noticed less lag in everything, except from a stop, from idle, and up to 1500 rpm or so there are minimal gains at best. How much power is going to the wheels in this scenario? I'm guessing not a lot. The off the line low hp tq/cvt lag combo does help save on tires, but those precious couple of seconds when you realize you're barely moving can be quite annoying. For everything else the car does fine.

Changing to 93 octane gave me a nice power gain, and helps with off the line. Too bad it's so much more expensive than 87. The 93 also improved my mileage by about 3 mpg. I may keep using it.
Start messing with the quick adjustment, you can enable early spool, change the throttle response etc.

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Start messing with the quick adjustment, you can enable early spool, change the throttle response etc.
Thanks. I would have to learn all that, which I may at some point. But for the time being I just put in the 21/econ tune. Almost no hesitation or cvt lag. Just means I need to keep using premium fuel.

OP
OP

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White
Country flag
OK, so I tried the ECU reset and it did not make any difference in the hesitation/bogging down (the reason for the initial post in this thread) issue I've been experiencing. I talked to the dealership and was told this is normal operation for the turbo/CVT combination. I love everything about this car, EXCEPT for this issue. This is really taking away from the enjoyment of driving this otherwise great car.

If I wanted to get a tuner of some kind to get rid of this issue and not do anything further to improve performance, what would be the least expensive route to go as far as kind of tuner and what changes to make? Will an older version of a tuner work for this scenario? Is there a way to trial a tune to see if it will truly tale care of the issue? I don't want anything aggressive, only wanting to get rid of this hesitation problem when accelerating from a stop. Something as close to stock as possible, as the performance, other than the initial starting from a stop, is just fine for me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK, so I tried the ECU reset and it did not make any difference in the hesitation/bogging down (the reason for the initial post in this thread) issue I've been experiencing. I talked to the dealership and was told this is normal operation for the turbo/CVT combination. I love everything about this car, EXCEPT for this issue. This is really taking away from the enjoyment of driving this otherwise great car.

If I wanted to get a tuner of some kind to get rid of this issue and not do anything further to improve performance, what would be the least expensive route to go as far as kind of tuner and what changes to make? Will an older version of a tuner work for this scenario? Is there a way to trial a tune to see if it will truly tale care of the issue? I don't want anything aggressive, only wanting to get rid of this hesitation problem when accelerating from a stop. Something as close to stock as possible, as the performance, other than the initial starting from a stop, is just fine for me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Your cheapest way in is to go to a ktuner dealer and have them flash for you. The next least expensive way is to buy a used Ktuner v1 or v1.2, the third is to buy a ktuner v1.2 new for $449 from any authorized dealer.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want anything aggressive, only wanting to get rid of this hesitation problem when accelerating from a stop. Something as close to stock as possible, as the performance, other than the initial starting from a stop, is just fine for me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
With Ktuner, you can run stock PSI levels and then use the quick adjustments to minimize lag and improve part throttle response. It won't eliminate all the lag but it will help a ton.

You can probably find a used V1.2 for around $375.

Kelbo400

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
My biggest issue (and it was repeatable) with the CVT and turbo was this exact scenario...

I live in a very congested area with some of the most aggressive drivers in the US. Sometimes this means you have a split second to either power out of a situation or to merge into a very small window. The CVT is often slow to respond from a light throttle cruise to a heavy mash of the throttle. This, combined with turbo lag has made for some very dicey situations in traffic.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-biggest-beef-with-the-cvt.16649/

Thankfully, KTuner has fixed most of this issue for me. My car feels like it has a fairly potent, normally aspirated engine now.
I have a 2019 Civic 1.5T with 50,000 mi. The hesitation is reeeally bothering me. My regular mechanic and the dealership don’t know what it is, but my mechanic said I could bring it in and see if there is a software update for my car. Wish he could tell me ahead of time if there is because he said the cost would be $250 and he said it’s a crapshoot whether it would work or not. I’m thinking the next step is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know the condition of your car or if there are any mechanical issues behind what you're experiencing. I can only tell you that from the factory, that almost dangerous light to high throttle hesitation is a combo of turbo and CVT lag. It's horrible and like I said it was the main reason I tuned.
Sponsored