First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everybody acts like if the oil level strays 0.1mm away from that fill dot that the cars going to explode. It's a completely ridiculous argument honestly. Either way is perfectly acceptable. 3.7qts ±.2 isn't going to make any difference.

I was simply stating how I check my oil. I've never had an issue in all these years, even in cars that I'm going around corners on 3 wheels.
Sponsored

fitz318is

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic hatch sport
Country flag
So if there is little wear indication (in the UOA's), and there is fuel dilution, what is it we should be worrying about? Has there ever been a documented case of engine failure due to Turbo/DI fuel dilution?
Maybe not in a Honda but pre-2007 vw di turbo engines used to destroy the flat tappet cam shaft follower for the high pressure fuel pump.

Reverie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So Im not trying to thread necro here and it certainly isnt a case of not searching as Ive read atleast 15 of this threads pages and countless pages of other oil threads here but any updates from anyone running strictly Amsoil? I got a salvage title 2021 1.5 Civic EX with just 3,000 miles on it and am still waffling on if I'm going boutique brand like Amsoil SS or budget with something like Mobil 1 EP for cheap and changing every 5k. I was using the diesel variant of Amsoil SS in my POS Chevy Cruze diesel before the turbo died at only 100k (highly doubt its the oils fault) so I'm partial to Amsoil but I'm certainly open to saving some money and just doing quicker intervals as well- especially with the oil dilution concerns.

fk7_shel

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sport CVT
Country flag
I did an AMSOIL SS 0W20 oil change with a Honda oil filter almost 2000mi ago and my oil life is at 20%. Not sure how you guys are getting more life out of it. I do short distance driving, about a mile or 2 a day,from home to work.

msfsx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I do short distance driving, about a mile or 2 a day,from home to work.
The engine probably never gets fully up to temperature under those conditions, especially with a CVT. Oil dilution happens when the engine is cold, and is reversed when the engine has been running for long enough that the oil warms up enough to burn off the fuel, as I understand it. So when the engine never gets up to temperature, the fuel is never burned off, which thins out the oil, which is bad for the engine, so the car is suggesting an oil change.
Sponsored