Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
10/19/17 sample was the old Amsoil SS 0w30
2/21/18 sample was the much vaunted QSUD 0w20
5/4/18 sample was "new" Amsoil SS 0w20
8/7/18 sample was "new" Amsoil SS 5w30
1/11/19 sample was "new" Amsoil SS 0w30
Seems this engine (1.5T) likes the new SS 0w30. I'll run it again, and check in 5k miles just to make sure it's not a fluke. No change in driving style (I drive like an a-hole), but I never run this engine hard before it warms up. Looks like I should get the fuel dilution tsb done. FWIW, this car had 2 break in oil changes before I ran the old SS 0w30. I think I'll run the new SS 0w30 in the CTR as well.
Cheers.
Thanks for sharing, great reports here. Wear numbers on your engine look very similar to mine and I'm on third fill on 5w30 SS with two 0w20 prior to that. My factory fill was done with Balckstone and not included in the report below.

Cheers

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T 0W30 Thread upload_2019-2-6_8-36-12
Sponsored

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
10/19/17 sample was the old Amsoil SS 0w30
2/21/18 sample was the much vaunted QSUD 0w20
5/4/18 sample was "new" Amsoil SS 0w20
8/7/18 sample was "new" Amsoil SS 5w30
1/11/19 sample was "new" Amsoil SS 0w30
Seems this engine (1.5T) likes the new SS 0w30. I'll run it again, and check in 5k miles just to make sure it's not a fluke. No change in driving style (I drive like an a-hole), but I never run this engine hard before it warms up. Looks like I should get the fuel dilution tsb done. FWIW, this car had 2 break in oil changes before I ran the old SS 0w30. I think I'll run the new SS 0w30 in the CTR as well.
Cheers.
Wow, iron looks great considering your driving style.
I threw my break in oil at about 4 or 6K miles thinking it's enough for my hard driving but now kinda regret it.
How did you get your hands on the break in oil?

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did you get your hands on the break in oil?
I dumped the factory fill at around 100 miles, and ran conventional 5w20 with Red Line break in additive. Changed to the "old" SS 0w30 at around 1000 miles, although 600 would have been sufficient.

flash_company

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I run Supetech synthetic 5w30, $16 for a big 5qt jug; and also a Premium Guard PG4615 oil filter.. $1.80 at RockAuto and I order them bulk for every car in my house, the premium guard is nicely build.. better tham the oem.

Spend less than $20 for a synthetic oil change and have oil leftover.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Does anyone runs on motul 8100 0w30?

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Does anyone runs on motul 8100 0w30?
I dont but I would like to! I used motul 0w30 in my previous civic, a 1.8 eu hatchback fk2 sport and motul was the best oil i ever hat in that car. I tried 2 other oils then motul and there was a noticeable difference in noise and the time it required the oil pressure warning to disappear on cold starts. I was absolutely satisfied with motul. I drive that car from 90 to 220t km and when the warmed up, I let it rev whenever I could. Now my father uses that car, engine is still great. The whole car is actually.
Yesterday my car had its first oil change. I thought my dealer will put the factory 0w20 during the first oil change but they put 5w30 in it! And actually iā€˜m happy about it: Engine noise reduced, much less metallic grinding. And this is a Honda dealer in Germany. I thought they will stick to the factory recommendation. However I donā€™t know what exactly they put in the car exactly. Maybe i will ask them. Its also important than if your civic is eu model then starting from model year 2018 you have to choose an engine oils that is compatible with the Gasoline particulate filter. So Motul 8100 eco-clean 0w30 would be ideal. I just saw that they actually have a new oil: eco clean 0w20! That should be the same or even better than the factory honda engine oil 2.0 0w20, at list in my opinion. But 8 would sill choose the 0w30.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also using own oil in this case i bring Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 to dealer when servicing the car,
only problem i have with 0w-20 is the damn HTHS, in manual it say use A3 or A5 grade oil and 0w-20 shell from dealer is A1,
that means High Temperature High Shear is lower than manual say.

And as far i know HTHS is when oil film breaks under pressure and heat

0w.20 HTHS 2.6
0w-30 A3 HTHS 3.6+

ACEA A1/B1 Category is removed with the ACEA 2016 Oil Sequences. From ACEA 2012: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of Low Viscosity Oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the Engine Manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s. These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines - consult vehicle-OEMā€™s ownerā€™s manual/handbook in case of doubt.

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also using own oil in this case i bring Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 ... case of doubt.
I just checked it under the hood, my Honda dealer put a 5w30 in the engine:
- SHELL HELIX ULTRA ECT C3 5W-30: ACEA C3 and API SN
But I didn't hear the metallic rattling sound yesterday and this morning after cold start. I hope it will stay that way.

I think your Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 is one of the best you can choose. Either that or motul x-clean 0w30. Next time I might buy some Motul 0w30 and take it with me to the dealer, at least I will try that.

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also using own oil in this case i bring Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 to dealer when servicing the car,
only problem i have with 0w-20 is the damn HTHS, in manual it say use A3 or A5 grade oil and 0w-20 shell from dealer is A1,
that means High Temperature High Shear
So you have a 2018 1.5Turbo from Europe and yours doesnā€™t need C2 oil?

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
@David Harper The difference in sound is not a placebo effect - I am an audiophile as well, but about my cars. I always notice difference in sound, even a tiny note. The car has definitely changed its note, as you said, it is much nicer to the ear. Previously, on 0w20, the sound was very harsh, metallic.

@parshisa I will definitely let you know how it likes this honey. So far, after putting in the Amsoil, the car farts rainbows and pink unicorns from the exhaust.
I thought I was crazy when I was hearing that I'm glad I'm not the only one, yeah it's not pleasant can't wait to switch

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
I just checked it under the hood, my Honda dealer put a 5w30 in the engine:
- SHELL HELIX ULTRA ECT C3 5W-30: ACEA C3 and API SN
But I didn't hear the metallic rattling sound yesterday and this morning after cold start. I hope it will stay that way.

I think your Castrol edge titanium 0w-30 is one of the best you can choose. Either that or motul x-clean 0w30. Next time I might buy some Motul 0w30 and take it with me to the dealer, at least I will try that.
I am running my civic on motul 0w30 from 2018. not single issue. And seems ok also with the new tune.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am running my civic on motul 0w30 from 2018. not single issue. And seems ok also with the new tune.
Nice I'm gonna switch after 5k I just changed with motul 0w-20

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice I'm gonna switch after 5k I just changed with motul 0w-20
Iā€˜m just mentioning the strange thing in the European civicsā€˜ manual: 0w30, 5w30 can be used (0w40 maybe, iā€˜m not sure). Also 0w20 BUT if you want to use 0w20 then only Honda 0w20 (Honda Engine oil 2.0) is allowed. However it might something to do with the fact that the EU cars after June of 2018 have particulate filter in the exhaust system. So go for it! Motul and generally 0w30/5w30 is good.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Iā€˜m just mentioning the strange thing in the European civicsā€˜ manual: 0w30, 5w30 can be used (0w40 maybe, iā€˜m not sure). Also 0w20 BUT if you want to use 0w20 then only Honda 0w20 (Honda Engine oil 2.0) is allowed. However it might something to do with the fact that the EU cars after June of 2018 have particulate filter in the exhaust system. So go for it! Motul and generally 0w30/5w30 is good.
Thanks man for the info