1.5T 0W30 Thread

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
If I mix 0w30 and 0w20, do I get 0w25? can this be done without issue
You can but there's really no need. Just pick up some Valvoline or Pennzoil Platinum in 5w30, they are both around 9.6cst viscosity which is super thin for 30 weight and will give you a bit of extra protection. I'm running 5w30 in mine (10.4cst initial viscosity) with no issues at all
Sponsored

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
If I mix 0w30 and 0w20, do I get 0w25? can this be done without issue
Not exactly because its not mathematical. The viscosity modifiers are different between 0w20 and 0w30. And their scales are not linear with each other.

But it's not that far off. You'll be within 20-30% of the end result, which is 1-2w23-27.

But note that most remotely competent engineers will design an engine that can run within +/- 5 pts from nominal in viscosity at least.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I am actually running it now. Red Line 0W30 true synthetic mixed with Mobil1 Extended 0W20.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Glad to have found this thread. I just posted in the other thread regarding 5W30: https://www.civicx.com/threads/whos-using-5w-30-in-their-si.25165/page-5

Long story, short: I think it's very wise to run a 30 weight due to heat concerns thinning out the oil. Add on that most of modify our cars, which are turboed, which generate a lot of heat, and that we drive harder than normal people in their Civics, and that some of autocross and/or track, I would definitely not feel comfortable pushing 0W-20 to the limit. Just sounds like a spun bearing waiting to happen. Ak the FR-S and BRZ guys whose manual also calls for 0W20, they'll tell you all about their spun bearings! Would prefer 5W30 and would be confident running it year around. Quaker State Ultimate Durability/AMSOil Signature Series, and Fram Ultra oil filters ftw!

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've run SS 5w30, submitted a UOA, and gotten great wear numbers, but after only 5k it had sheared down into the 20w range. I don't think I'll run it much past 7k. I've also gotten good UOA numbers with SS 0w20; I think I'll still run that in the winter. Next change/UOA will be the newer SS 0w30 formulation.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I've run SS 5w30, submitted a UOA, and gotten great wear numbers, but after only 5k it had sheared down into the 20w range. I don't think I'll run it much past 7k. I've also gotten good UOA numbers with SS 0w20; I think I'll still run that in the winter. Next change/UOA will be the newer SS 0w30 formulation.
Whats new about the formulation? If it's the formulation to prevent LSPI then all oil weights including 5w-30 have the new formulation.

I'm close to 10k miles on SS 5w-30. If it shears down to 20w that's fine for me since that is better than shearing down to 5w if 20w is used or worse.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Last edited:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
I have read the whole thread and its been an interesting read. Being UK based the viscosities that are in our manuals have been highlighted, what does it say in the US/Canadian manuals?

For my thoughts and they are purely mine, Honda has a fine reputation for quality engineering and they develop a 0W20 oil for use in our engines, so why would they spec an oil that would cause harm to their engines and thus damage their reputation? Just asking a question.

My UK Sport is still very new and has covered less than 300 miles, so another question if I was not following the MM what mileage should I change tge oil for the first time?

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I have read the whole thread and its been an interesting read. Being UK based the viscosities that are in our manuals have been highlighted, what does it say in the US/Canadian manuals?

For my thoughts and they are purely mine, Honda has a fine reputation for quality engineering and they develop a 0W20 oil for use in our engines, so why would they spec an oil that would cause harm to their engines and thus damage their reputation? Just asking a question.

My UK Sport is still very new and has covered less than 300 miles, so another question if I was not following the MM what mileage should I change tge oil for the first time?
They didn't develop an oil, they recommended 0w20 for fuel economy standards especially in the u.s. that's why 0w30 and 5w30 are listed in the EUROPEAN manual, those standards are not as strict as here, 0w20 has been around a while for just that.....fuel economy

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think the 0w20 will damage the engine per se; I got near identical wear numbers compared to 5w30, both amsoil. But in my sampling, the 1.5t shears oil down quite readily, and fuel dilution is also an issue. The 5w30 I'm running sheared down to 5w20 in only 5k miles, and 90% of that was highway. Fuel dilution was not a factor in that sample, and the oil life monitor was at 60%. When the oil loses viscosity from it's original grade, I don't think that directly harms the engine either, but the subsequent drop in hot oil pressure certainly could. I think folks doing longer, ie. 7-10k oil change intervals, a 0w30, or 5w30 would be a better choice.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I don't think the 0w20 will damage the engine per se; I got near identical wear numbers compared to 5w30, both amsoil. But in my sampling, the 1.5t shears oil down quite readily, and fuel dilution is also an issue. The 5w30 I'm running sheared down to 5w20 in only 5k miles, and 90% of that was highway. Fuel dilution was not a factor in that sample, and the oil life monitor was at 60%. When the oil loses viscosity from it's original grade, I don't think that directly harms the engine either, but the subsequent drop in hot oil pressure certainly could. I think folks doing longer, ie. 7-10k oil change intervals, a 0w30, or 5w30 would be a better choice.
thats what im running 10k interval 5w30 on SS

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
They didn't develop an oil, they recommended 0w20 for fuel economy standards especially in the u.s. that's why 0w30 and 5w30 are listed in the EUROPEAN manual, those standards are not as strict as here, 0w20 has been around a while for just that.....fuel economy
Agree hawk02, as the CAFE stds are pushing the manufacturers fleet MPG averages, engineers are doing all they can to reduce friction and increase MPG. Most import aspect for reducing engine wear is frequent cold starts and OCI, viscosity grade is secondary unless you are racing at max. engine output.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I was thinking to go for a 0W-30 oil. What is good candidate as a replacement of the recommended oil?

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Amsoil, RedLine, Motul
Thanks for mentioning Motul. I don't know why I didn't consider it. I'm using it in my other car, lol.
The other two may be a bit too expensive.
I'm even thinking to try Motul 0w-20. Just saw a great UOA on bitog.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
I run on motul 0w30 nergy. I chose it on my first oil change. So far so good. I expect higher change intervals. The first one with the factory oil was @ 6500 km!!! Based on what the car said with the service tool.
One good thing is that i don't hear the same metalic sound @ higher revs as before
I would never go with 0w20 again. In Romania, Honda made modifications on the 2018 car manuals and introduced 5w30 as recommended oil viscosity!!!
I'll stay with 0w30 just because my car has no exposure to low temperatures.
Sponsored