1.5T 0W30 Thread

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Watch that video, it's pretty informative. That being said, on my next oil change I will be doing 0w-30 next. I just barely put in mobil 1 0w-20 this time around.
Sponsored

aydingokce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic HB 1.5 Sport CVT
Well, let's focus on what the user's guide says: It says, if we are using 0W20, it should not be a random 0W20, but Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0. If it is not possible to get that oil, we should use a higher viscosity oil. That's the deal.

What I don't know or understand is, what the hell is that Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0??!! I've searched the forum and internet for the answer but could not come up with one.

a) Is it a generic name given to any 0W20 grade oil? I don't think so. If it were, then Honda wouldn't implicitliy say that we should not use any random 0W20, but given that the oil is 0W20, it should be the Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0.

b) I am pretty sure that all 0W20's are not created equal. So, is that a generic name given to some 0W20 oils that comply to some standards set by Honda that the other 0W20 oils do not comply? Maybe.

c) Is it a unique and specific 0W20 that carries the Honda brand and logo on the bottle (although most probably not produced by Honda itself) and that is available only through officialy authorized Honda dealers, services or part sales centers? Maybe.

If we know the answer, we can make more accurate comments. I have to say that, the Honda official services in my country treat it to be the case a). For example, the service I take my Civic for maintenance writes Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0 on the invoice but when you ask the staff they say that the oil is indeed Castrol Magnatec 0W20. By all means, I do think that the response “Hey dudes, do you think you know better than the Honda engineers ” is not a valid one, because, those engineers tell us we can (or we should, under some circumstances) use 0W30 or 5W30.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I ran the new Amsoil 0w20 signature series formulation, did an analysis at 5k miles, and got some pretty decent numbers.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/
I plan on running the same oil, but in 5w30 next, and will submit that for analysis as well.

Very interested in your UOA results. As someone who never gets close to claimed fuel economy I'm always looking for better protection.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got my 0W-30 Signature Series.

Used Honda filter .

What a PITA to DIY, I'm dropped. I had to use the Jack's that came with it. My first two was done at Honda.

OP
OP
un hombre

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Anyone started using the new, September 2017 Amsoil SS reformulation (the ones with label saying 75% better protection)? Any feedback? I presume one will not be able to tell any difference in comparison to the previous version.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Anyone started using the new, September 2017 Amsoil SS reformulation (the ones with label saying 75% better protection)? Any feedback? I presume one will not be able to tell any difference in comparison to the previous version.
THat's what I'm currently running in 5w30 taste in my Civic. Have about 4,5K on it. Really no difference performance wise, mpg still the same. Should've been at 7k by now and have the sample sent it but read accident first and achilles injury now have delayed me a good bit..few more months before I'll get a sample for UOA. Hope you're doing good and enjoying your Civic my overseas friend

OP
OP
un hombre

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
THat's what I'm currently running in 5w30 taste in my Civic. Have about 4,5K on it. Really no difference performance wise, mpg still the same. Should've been at 7k by now and have the sample sent it but read accident first and achilles injury now have delayed me a good bit..few more months before I'll get a sample for UOA. Hope you're doing good and enjoying your Civic my overseas friend
I certainly am, my friend. The car is running strong and no problems whatsoever.

I am slowly thinking about stocking the new reformulation for my future oil change, however majority of stock in Europe is still the old stuff - not the reformulated SS.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am using the new formula but can't really give you any feedback except she feels much smoother as expected.

I don't do any of the Oil Analysis, etc.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Hi,
I did the first change. @ 6300 km the original 0w20 was black! I could not believe my eyes the oil looked so bad. I run on Motul 8100 0w30 + original Honda filters. The engine sounds a bit better and this makes me feel better. Same mpg and performance although I feel confident keeping the engine @ high rpm now
Looking fw to get hondata flash with 6psi tune on

Last edited:

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
People can speculate all they want, I trust Honda engineers. Just did 3rd oil change, 1st one at 7,500 mi., 12,000, and now 17,600. All Mobil1 full synthetic. If anything, the engine feels stronger than ever. There is dilution, no doubt. But I don't believe it's significant enough unless you go past 10,000 mi between changes. 5 quarts for less than $23 bucks at Walmart, not bad.
Yes, you should trust honda engineering... honda factory synthetic have the lowest friction coefficient when you compare it with other similar API approved oil...

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5T 0W30 Thread 9715BDC6-0349-4BFD-B0B7-E899068D1120

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If I mix 0w30 and 0w20, do I get 0w25? can this be done without issue

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael