1.5L Turbo Direct Injection Build Up

1. mis3

mis3 Senior Member

First Name:
    PT
    Car(s):
    Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
    I still have a few bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner left from my previous car.
    Not sure if it is helpful to our DI 1.5L turbo.

2. curt d

curt d Senior Member

First Name:
    Curt
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
    Additional fuel system cleaner is not needed if you run top tier fuels. Chevron and Texaco contain Techron.

3. mis3

mis3 Senior Member

First Name:
    PT
    Car(s):
    Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
    #33 mis3, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    In Canada, there is no Chevron nor Texaco. I use Shell, Esso or Ultramar which properly do not contain Techron.

4. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic LX
    As a counterpoint. I got 50k miles on my 2.0L and the engine feels more responsive as it ages. I don't dealer service and have only been doing oil changes at about every 6k (even through maintenance reminder wants me to do it earlier).

Since I don't have the 1.5t engine and change filter at every oil change, I'm not going with bogus computers reminder. You'd think the slack heads would have different programming for 2.0L engine vs 1.5L engine cause those maintenance schedules are BS. Changing filter every other time is completely retarded. Obviously done to manage fuel dilution. Stupid...

5. curt d

curt d Senior Member

First Name:
    Curt
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
    Here is a read from the resident expert on thenCorvette Forums.

There’s no way to talk die hard additive fans out of using additives, so I won’t attempt to do that. But for anyone who is “on the fence”, actual engine testing data says you don’t need them. Assuming that you use top tier gas regularly, you will be a teeny tiny, little bit WORSE off using extra Techron (or any other additive) than just using the top tier by itself. Our testing over many years (I’m retired from a major oil company) clearly and repeatedly showed that it was entirely possible to use too much detergent. That’s because the detergent itself leaves a tiny bit of residue. So if the engine is clean (which it will be with top tier), then extra detergent won’t make it any cleaner, but it will make it a teeny tiny bit dirtier by the amount of detergent residue left behind. It would be sort of like using an ultra heavy load of detergent in your washing machine. If you did that regularly, it wouldn’t rinse out very well, and eventually, you’d have a collection of soap scum in your clothes. In the case of gas additives, the point of the above message is not to say you will hurt your engine by using them. The teeny bit of residue left by extra additives isn’t enough to hurt anything. The point is, if added on top of gas that already has top tier additives, it isn’t going to help either, so you are wasting money.

There are only two situations where you might gain some benefit from extra additives. One is if you have a seriously dirty engine from tens of thousands of miles on cheapo gas. Even there, the benefit isn’t huge. Just plain old top tier will do as much in a few dozen tankfulls as extra additives would in a tank or two. Neither approach will get the engine back to clean as new, but either approach will get it well over half way back. That one I know from looking at actual test data.

PhilF thanked this.
  6. mis3

mis3 Senior Member

First Name:
    PT
    Car(s):
    Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
    Shell, Esso are considered top tier gas in Canada.
    I know they do add additives but not sure exactly what.

7. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    The filter has little if anything to do with dilution. It's simply there to trap contaminants and wear particles related to normal operation.

The available oil analysis data suggests the maintenance minder is quite accurate, though slightly on the conservative side. At least when running a typical synthetic blend.

8. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic LX
    True. But my car wants me to have an oil change every 3k miles. Which is stupid, unless filter doesn't get changed and oil is contaminated after the change by the old filter. Why force the frequent oil change?

9. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    Run a UOA and find out. :cool:

10. Schmullis

Schmullis Senior Member

First Name:
    Schmullis
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Touring Sedan
    Just use a brand name fuel, like Shell VPower that has detergent and you should be fine.

11. Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI Senior Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic EX-T
    All Shell fuel has detergent, regardless of octane.

12. nox

nox Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
    Has anyone seen intake valves on 1.5 T after 30k or more miles yet?

charleswrivers thanked this.
  13. charleswrivers

charleswrivers Senior Member

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    '14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
    I've never seen a single photo of boroscoped valves on a L15B7. I've seen photos of other cars, especially the N54s BMW had issues with and have over a decade of history of valve deposits.

Nothing on our cars but a lot of assumptions and doom and gloom, especially from our friends that chose a K20C2 to keep port injection.

I'd love it if someone had some photos to share. Good or bad, I'd be nice to know. I bought a cheap ($10) eBay one earlier this past year thinking I might use it for that purpose... but I got what I paid for. It won't take a decent enough picture to see anything unless you're right on something... and even then the quality is pretty poor and the closeness of the light washes out detail. I hadn't thought about it until you bumped the thread.

Civics4Ever and PowerPerLiter thanked this.
  14. OP
    OP
    T_A_H

T_A_H Senior Member

First Name:
    Brad
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
    I usually get chevron, 76, or Costco.

Do we know if costco uses detergent?

15. gtman

gtman Senior Member