mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I still have a few bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner left from my previous car.
Not sure if it is helpful to our DI 1.5L turbo.
Sponsored

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
I still have a few bottles of Techron Fuel System Cleaner left from my previous car.
Not sure if it is helpful to our DI 1.5L turbo.
Additional fuel system cleaner is not needed if you run top tier fuels. Chevron and Texaco contain Techron.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Additional fuel system cleaner is not needed if you run top tier fuels. Chevron and Texaco contain Techron.
In Canada, there is no Chevron nor Texaco. I use Shell, Esso or Ultramar which properly do not contain Techron.

Last edited:

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
In Canada, there is no Chevron nor Texaco. I use Shell, Esso or Ultramar which properly do not contain Techron.
Here is a read from the resident expert on thenCorvette Forums.

There’s no way to talk die hard additive fans out of using additives, so I won’t attempt to do that. But for anyone who is “on the fence”, actual engine testing data says you don’t need them. Assuming that you use top tier gas regularly, you will be a teeny tiny, little bit WORSE off using extra Techron (or any other additive) than just using the top tier by itself. Our testing over many years (I’m retired from a major oil company) clearly and repeatedly showed that it was entirely possible to use too much detergent. That’s because the detergent itself leaves a tiny bit of residue. So if the engine is clean (which it will be with top tier), then extra detergent won’t make it any cleaner, but it will make it a teeny tiny bit dirtier by the amount of detergent residue left behind. It would be sort of like using an ultra heavy load of detergent in your washing machine. If you did that regularly, it wouldn’t rinse out very well, and eventually, you’d have a collection of soap scum in your clothes. In the case of gas additives, the point of the above message is not to say you will hurt your engine by using them. The teeny bit of residue left by extra additives isn’t enough to hurt anything. The point is, if added on top of gas that already has top tier additives, it isn’t going to help either, so you are wasting money.

There are only two situations where you might gain some benefit from extra additives. One is if you have a seriously dirty engine from tens of thousands of miles on cheapo gas. Even there, the benefit isn’t huge. Just plain old top tier will do as much in a few dozen tankfulls as extra additives would in a tank or two. Neither approach will get the engine back to clean as new, but either approach will get it well over half way back. That one I know from looking at actual test data.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Shell, Esso are considered top tier gas in Canada.
I know they do add additives but not sure exactly what.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The filter has little if anything to do with dilution. It's simply there to trap contaminants and wear particles related to normal operation.

The available oil analysis data suggests the maintenance minder is quite accurate, though slightly on the conservative side. At least when running a typical synthetic blend.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Just use a brand name fuel, like Shell VPower that has detergent and you should be fine.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
Has anyone seen intake valves on 1.5 T after 30k or more miles yet?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've never seen a single photo of boroscoped valves on a L15B7. I've seen photos of other cars, especially the N54s BMW had issues with and have over a decade of history of valve deposits.

Nothing on our cars but a lot of assumptions and doom and gloom, especially from our friends that chose a K20C2 to keep port injection.

I'd love it if someone had some photos to share. Good or bad, I'd be nice to know. I bought a cheap ($10) eBay one earlier this past year thinking I might use it for that purpose... but I got what I paid for. It won't take a decent enough picture to see anything unless you're right on something... and even then the quality is pretty poor and the closeness of the light washes out detail. I hadn't thought about it until you bumped the thread.

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I usually get chevron, 76, or Costco.