1.5L Turbo Direct Injection Build Up

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I assume you're planning to spray through the throttle body, yes? I know Seafoam makes a DI-specific variant with a custom applicator like the photo below. In my experience, it takes a good 200-500 miles for any accumulation to wear down. So it might be interesting to do an boroscope analysis after the initial service and then a few hundred miles later. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5L Turbo Direct Injection Build Up upload_2018-10-26_11-19-43

I haven't used Seafoam, but imagine it's similar to CRC:

Honda Civic 10th gen 1.5L Turbo Direct Injection Build Up upload_2018-10-26_11-20-46

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go to a pet store for walnut media. Seriously, they use it for lizard bedding (stuff at the bottom of the tank). This is an old trick for people who reload ammunition. We use walnut to clean the brass. Buying the walnut at a sports store costs way more than buying walnut at a pet store. Literally the same stuff.
X2. My brass tumbler is filled with lizard bedding walnut media. Cheap and works. I got a big bag for cheap I doubt I'll ever use for the low volume I reload.

Star101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Plan is to post pictures of the intake valves before doing anything to them. This is a fabulous opportunity to see what a can of Seafoam can do on those valves. Then assuming there's significant deposits, I'd like to see whether regular Seafoam application thereafter helps keep the valves clean.

I don't know what to take out under the hood to get a scope to the intake valves though.

Getting a borescope is easy. How to get it into the intake port is the question. Is there a guide?

If I can't do it, I plan on taking it to the service dept. with whom I have $800 in service credits that I have not used yet, see if they'd be happy to show me what the intake valves look like.
I'm just as curious as you. All we hear are assumptions. Hope you find a way not to use those credits. Lol

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I assume you're planning to spray through the throttle body, yes? I know Seafoam makes a DI-specific variant with a custom applicator like the photo below. In my experience, it takes a good 200-500 miles for any accumulation to wear down. So it might be interesting to do an boroscope analysis after the initial service and then a few hundred miles later. :)

upload_2018-10-26_11-19-43.png

I haven't used Seafoam, but imagine it's similar to CRC:

upload_2018-10-26_11-20-46.png
The SeaFoam one yes.

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
I would do a lot of research before I sprayed any cleaner through a turbo. I recall some issues Ford had with buildup on DI engines, and they said no cleaner to be used on a turbo engine. Their only fix was to pull the head(s) and disassemble, then clean the valves. One of the reasons I bought the 2.0 LX. I'd hate to see anyone ruin a turbo. Not cheap to replace.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
Well I had no idea WOT helped the car out. Thanks guys
WOT has no effect on intake valve buildup. The intake valve doesn’t get hot enough to shed or repel carbon. The exhaust valve does get hot enough and that’s why it stays clean.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I have an oil catch can installed. Finger cross because I am planning to drive this car till the wheels fall off.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag