1.5 turbo - answer to what engine oil grades are allowed!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have like 7k/km, the OLM is at 40%.

I'll change it before July.
Sponsored

OP
OP
un hombre

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
There's absolutely no point of waiting that long with factory fill (from additive package standpoint it has nothing special to it). Likely the factory fill is synthetic blend with very average additive package that doesn't holds up well with turbo heat. Anyway, really up to you, but if it was me 2months ago with the knowledge I have now I'd get it changed out.
Yeah, I guess so. I am really tempted to give it full rpm and throttle but will not do so until I change oil, so... The sooner the better :)

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty interesting that the euro calls for 0W30, I'm really interested in what oil they recommend for the CTR, as far as I know, the type 2 0w20 isn't available over here. I'll use 0w30 SS amsoil in it more than likely.. @Snoopyslr

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty interesting that the euro calls for 0W30, I'm really interested in what oil they recommend for the CTR, as far as I know, the type 2 0w20 isn't available over here. I'll use 0w30 SS amsoil in it more than likely.. @Snoopyslr
I'm diggin this AMSOIL SS so far. My MPG has went up and my engine runs quieter. Almost 3k on the oil so far, still looks clean.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I'm willing to bet it's because of the higher speeds and the autobahn

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
There is NO special oil for the R, same factory fill as all other Honda's.

OP
OP
un hombre

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Euro does not call for 0w30. The truth is, though, that the European manual is messed up and is the same as manual for IX generation Civic and previous generations - nothing has changed.

The most important section says, that if you don't have 0w20 Honda Type 2.0 oil, the first preferred alternative is ACEA A3 (performance oils with HTHS >= 3.5) or ACEA A5 (HTHS < 3.5).
There is no ACEA A3 0w20 oil... There is a handful of Xw30 ACEA A3 oils. Majority of ACEA A3 oils is Xw40 and up!

Then it says, that if Honda Type 2.0 is not available, you can use 0w30 or 5w30 as alternative.

Taking those two important suggestions from manual tells me, that Xw30 should be a great alternative. The rule of thumb should be to find the lowest possible viscosity oil, that will protect our engine in our driving conditions (climate, driving style etc).

0w20 will be fine for average Joe, however 0w30 might be better if:

- You drive like you had a Type R and you don't baby your car or drive ECO (like those Hyper Milers!)
- You live in a mild or warm climate,
- You often drive of speeds > 90 mph which is nor Eco, nor that low rpm for this engine.

I think full synthetic 0w30 is a great compromise between engine protection and fuel efficiency - if you are after spirited driving in between your commute.
It is a compromise between 0w20 oils (Hths = 2.6) and ACEA A3 sports oils (HTHS > 3.5).

Truth is, no matter what viscosity you use - 0w20 or 0w30 - as long as it is a good synthetic, your car will thank you for that!

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Omg, you have done it...

Don't forget to update the 0w30 oil thread on this forum with your findings :)
I'll probably do a UOA after the next oil change; there's probably going to be a bunch of wear metals still floating around from breaking in after this oil is done. I changed to the Amsoil at just over 1100 miles.

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
In fact, I seriously doubt that the manual for Australia recommends 0w-20 and believe me, they don't have some "extra" version of 1.5 turbo engine there...
Just to clarify, the manual recommends 0w20, 0w30 or 5w30 for Australian 1.5Ts. I have some Amsoil Signature-Series 0w30 lined up for my first oil change.
Sponsored