1/2 Flat battery won't take typical charge

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Had my 1st "Battery Mishap" today with the 2018 Si.

I must have left the car in Auxilary mode the day before while working on it, because today, the battery was flat.
Read 7 volts, and obviously could not even engage the starter to start car !! (My stupid mistake).

So I put the battery on charge, with a smart charger, that has 2A, 10A and 30A max rates.

Even at the highest 30A rate, battery would only take about 4 amps of charge !!!
After an hour it was still only 4A, but the car would now start.
Left it on till the charger switched to FULL, some 6 hours later.

Battery (and car) are only 6 months old.

I have flattened batteries in other car, more times that I want to admit to (Playing with Android units in them etc), but I have never had a battery go so flat to a level that it cannot start a car, and then only want to draw 4 amps to charge.
RTypically, they can take the full 30 amps to start with, and then decrease from that over time.

What am I missing here, or are the Honda Factory batteries really as useless and so many have claimed here on the forum ??
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bring it to the dealer and have them check battery health. You'll get a free warranty replacement if it's become defective. I went through this on my CR-V over the winter. If the car is out of warranty, get a smart battery charger and charge it under the repair mode, such as the NOCO G3500:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
OP write ;

" Even at the highest 30A rate, battery would only take about 4 amps of charge !!!
After an hour it was still only 4A, but the car would now start.
Left it on till the charger switched to FULL, some 6 hours later. "

IMO charging rate could be normal.
Sponsored