Zero Knock Counts: Is There Something Wrong With My Car?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I recently swap my Civic 1.5T turbocharger with CR-V/Civic SI turbocharger.

Knock counts went crazy the first 2 days of turbocharger swap and I made a few revisions with the calibration. I tested the latest revision this morning and I was expecting maximum of 4 knock counts in 40 minutes drive, which was equal to number of knock counts with stock turbo and previous custom calibration.

This morning I was surprised to find 0 Knock Counts after approx. 40 minutes drive.

Could any Civic X member suggest/advise if there is something wrong with my car?

My understanding is zero knock counts is impossible.
Sponsored

Attachments

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Zero "knock counts" is possible, I've seen it before. I often just get 1-2 on my datalogged drives. No worries there.

Everything looks fine on the log.

K. Control was pretty steady around .55 except the two times you went above 5300 rpm (shot up to about .75) but fairly quickly stabilized back down to .55 where it had been. PSI peaked for a brief moment at 22. AFR at full throttle was 11.28 ...

For some reason it looks like the LTFT sensor doesn't work but STFT's seemed to be operating as they should.

You're golden.

Honda Civic 10th gen Zero Knock Counts: Is There Something Wrong With My Car? Capture.JPG

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Zero "knock counts" is possible, I've seen it before. I often just get 1-2 on my datalogged drives. No worries there.

Everything looks fine on the log.

K. Control was pretty steady around .55 except the two times you went above 5300 rpm (shot up to about .75) but fairly quickly stabilized back down to .55 where it had been. PSI peaked for a brief moment at 22. AFR at full throttle was 11.28 ...

For some reason it looks like the LTFT sensor doesn't work but STFT's seemed to be operating as they should.

You're golden.

Capture.JPG
I am very happy to see that you were the first member in Civic X to reply this post because I knew my friend @gtman always come up with quality feedback and you deliver again.

Thank you very much for taking your time and effort firing up Hondata Flashpro software and took a time to look at the datalog.

I am glad that it is possible for 0 Knock Count because I was afraid that my knock sensor that listen to knock/misfire event in the car is damaged and stop listening for knock or its sensitivity reduced.

LTFT is disabled in ECU in my region according to Hondata team & a few members of Civic X forums.

I did a shorter run today about 20 minutes of run with slightly adjusted calibration. I adjusted turbocharge maximum pressure from 4000 to 6000 RPM slightly higher than yesterday's map. It returns with 0 knock count again.

Attachments

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
I recently swap my Civic 1.5T turbocharger with CR-V/Civic SI turbocharger.

Knock counts went crazy the first 2 days of turbocharger swap and I made a few revisions with the calibration. I tested the latest revision this morning and I was expecting maximum of 4 knock counts in 40 minutes drive, which was equal to number of knock counts with stock turbo and previous custom calibration.

This morning I was surprised to find 0 Knock Counts after approx. 40 minutes drive.

Could any Civic X member suggest/advise if there is something wrong with my car?

My understanding is zero knock counts is impossible.
i have no idea if its possible to be with zero knock count, i dont check mine as i only check knock control. @gtman has explained very well about knock count.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i have no idea if its possible to be with zero knock count, i dont check mine as i only check knock control. @gtman has explained very well about knock count.
I've experimented a few times. I kept the calibration with 0 knock counts in my PC. If I adjusted to a more aggressive ignition or boost, I got knock count. Knock counts back to 0 when I reload calibration with 0 knock counts.

I even re-flash back to stock and observed for 2 days driving back and forth the same route with the same pattern of driving behavior. Stock calibration returned with 0 knock counts. All with 50 to 60 minutes of driving.

I think 0 knock count is not impossible.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did a quick 30 minutes run today and the same calibration was returning 0 knock count. Knock control seems to be improving after a few drive interestingly.

Attachments

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
0 knock is definitely not impossible. I am running a modified tune i tried making targeting around 22.5 psi of boost on 94 octane and havent seen a single knock in a long time. Usually only once my intercooler is heat soaked. As gtman said. You are golden
Sponsored