You've got $50,000. Would you still have purchased a Type R??

gaiakai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e46 M3
Country flag
The wagon/hatch thing is really important to me. You'd think the Subie Hatch would sell like crazy. The only reason I even tested an STI was that the CTR I tested was used at the Subie dealer. I did like the STI interior, but the CTR seating position is perfect for me.
Yeah the wagon/hatch thing was a huge plus on the CTR side for me too. It would have been a harder decision if the current STi offering wasn't just in sedan form; it would have been just be a matter of weighing AWD with a dinosaur engine or FWD with a newer engine design personally.

I did try looking for a GR STi but at the time there weren't even any listings for it lol
Sponsored

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I guess my question sounds confusing. If your budget was a higher dollar, was there anything compelling for that extra 10-15 over the CTR price you would buy? For the practicality, and performance, there isn't anything here in the USA I would consider.
Ah. But $50k isn’t enough to get you into a class up of fun/performance cars. Maybe if used. So buy a CTR and take what’s left and put it on a new Multistrada.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If I already have an FK8 as my only car and I had 50k to spend on a second car- no way in hell I'd get a second Type R, why would I do that? I'd get a car that scratches an itch the Type R doesn't- probably a Miata or an S2000. Or maybe something to use as a beater like a Model 3 and have the Type R only be for weekends.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'd probably get a BMW M2 Competition. The Type R has covered a lot of firsts for me that I've now gotten out of my system. Top tier FWD car, JDM monster, first track car, first 400 hp+ fully tuned and modded car. Having done all that, I think that for my next car, I'd like something that performs as well as the R does modded, but out of the box with a bit better fit and finish (don't want to mod anymore).

Ideally, that would be a GT4, but in the $50K range, I think that an M2 Comp 6MT fits the bill.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
I had an M2 C... now that's a great piece of machinery =) On the other hand, i wouldn't mind buying a Supra 3.0 (easy bang for the buck tune b58 engine which is well built and can handle extreme amounts of power) then if you're into V8's... that new Mach 1 Mustang is coming out :) https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32852072/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-revealed/ ... Has the CTR carbon fiber skirts ;) & 9k cheaper than the GT350.
Honda Civic 10th gen You've got $50,000.  Would you still have purchased a Type R?? Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.34.43 AM

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Ideally, that would be a GT4, but in the $50K range, I think that an M2 Comp 6MT fits the bill.
M2C would have been my choice as well but i personally dont like the s55 exhaust note. Thats why i said supra lol. b58 sounds much better than the s55 to me. Only downside is the no MT.

Greyhouse

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 sport touring
Country flag
I’d probably save up another 5-10k and wait for the new IS500 :p
I have just come back from Lexus of the palm beaches here in Florida and the sales manager said he doubts that they will ever see one,so happy hunting

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
There's an m240i manual... but 2021 is the last year they're making the m240i current style... A lot of aftermarket for the m240i and it's a B58 (somewhat differently configured than the m340i... not going into details research it). That car you can get in the 45k - 50k range... new... They're all out of the m240i's at the 2 dealerships by me and another dealership farther away has a black 8 speed auto. All you need is to upgrade to an LSD (unless the car has that option already...). Some info about the next M2 series... supposedly the new m240i will have the same inline 6 but with more oomph =) https://www.motor1.com/news/439041/2022-bmw-2-series-rendering/

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I'd probably get a BMW M2 Competition. The Type R has covered a lot of firsts for me that I've now gotten out of my system. Top tier FWD car, JDM monster, first track car, first 400 hp+ fully tuned and modded car. Having done all that, I think that for my next car, I'd like something that performs as well as the R does modded, but out of the box with a bit better fit and finish (don't want to mod anymore).

I'm with you. Would need to drive one a few times as I had an F80 M3 (it was slightly used - keeping with the $50k theme) and only kept it for 6 months... The F80 was my fourth M car and while I had driven one a few times, I was surprised that I really didn't like the car.

My 84 yr old father did get a speeding ticket in it... :yes:

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
If I have the Type r already, a M2C or GT350. If I had to do it all over again with a 50k budget I would stick with the Type R and keep what's remaining.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
If I have the Type r already, a M2C or GT350. If I had to do it all over again with a 50k budget I would stick with the Type R and keep what's remaining.
I had an M2C... it's not that comfortable... so don't expect that at all (unless this is mainly for racing/showboating whatever...) =) M240i much better in that department and has S+ mode as well. The aftermarket for the B58 is insane not to mention the bang for the buck tune you can get out of it! Type R and M2C manual handle and brake almost the same... but the M2C will kill the R on the straights (unless the R is modified enough to overtake...). M2C has staggered 19's extreme summer performance. Comfort mode is like S mode on the R with 20 inch 30s extremes! You think the R was a teeth chattering ride... wait till you drive this thing. Sure the M2C has the 'look' but you're paying about 10k - 15k more as well... unless you're buying used. M240i M340i and M2C are almost the same racing wise... there are differences but not that much. M2C barely beats the M340i which barely beats the M240i... but the M240i (weighs less) will prevail overall with the mods. If i was going to get a BMW for a great all around performance vehicle... probably get the 2021 M3... but you're looking at ~80 - 90k new. That's where the M340i fits in... great all around performance, got your comfort and luxury (if needed) badass b58 configuration and decent handling & braking :p No m440i grill look... uh yet =)

Last edited:

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
extra 50k and id have gotten a widebody challenger. optioned how id want it they are about 50-55k. the hatchback is a big part of why i wanted a ctr but if i have an extra 45k laying around ill make due without it.