Your worst rental car?

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ford Escape from Hertz rental - the vehicle had a speed limiter set to 65 mph. I was very disappointed and did not have the opportunity to return it given my circumstances (scheduling), and realization when I drove it on the interstate. To make matters worse, the onboard driver system would constantly chime excessively every time I neared 65 mph, AND when I reached 65 ... extremely annoying.

I rented this from the Bentonville, Arkansas airport , so if you plan to rent a car, avoid this place.
Sponsored

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Ford Escape from Hertz rental - the vehicle had a speed limiter set to 65 mph. I was very disappointed and did not have the opportunity to return it given my circumstances (scheduling), and realization when I drove it on the interstate. To make matters worse, the onboard driver system would constantly chime excessively every time I neared 65 mph, AND when I reached 65 ... extremely annoying.

I rented this from the Bentonville, Arkansas airport , so if you plan to rent a car, avoid this place.
Yuck! I have a road very near Dayton, Ohio where the speed limit is 70, what do you do then?

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yuck! I have a road very near Dayton, Ohio where the speed limit is 70, what do you do then?
The airport code was XNA (outskirts of Bentonville “Walmart HQ”). I had a conference there so I had to drive a couple of miles from the airport to the interstate, so everything was good to go when I left. As soon as I was on the interstate, I initially heard some chimes and thought they were passive warning indicators about the speed, but as I hit 65, the throttle stopped accepting inputs. I was going to do a little research to see if I could reset the limiter, but it wasn’t worth my time. I had a lot of work to do, and didn’t have a need for speed once I arrived at the hotel. On the return trip to the airport, I had to put up with this crap all over again. I made a mental note to - 1. Not rent from Hertz (not sure if they limit speed in other cars), 2. Not rent from Hertz at this airport.

If I had to do this trip again, then I would rent from one of the other rental facilities. I was lucky in the past, I guess, with not having this issue, but now I know.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've only ever rented a car twice. First one was a Kia Rio when I wanted an economy car, and the second one was a turbo-4 Camaro when they offered to give me a "sport" class car.

With that said, the Camaro was the worst one.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I haven't rented many cars, but when I went to San Francisco for business they offered me a Dodge Charger. Of course it was a V6. I thought maybe that thing would still have power, but my god it was a boat. I'm not sure if it just felt slow because it's a large car, but I feel like my tuned Civic could pull away from it easily.
Sponsored