Your Dont need a Volume Knob!

Rook3300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (no more)
But with the slider on the steering wheel you can quick swipe down to immediately mute it, maybe that will help with your issue.
Believe me, I tried all manner of trying to turn the volume down in those few seconds. The country music was quickly killing my brain cells. :eek: The "quick slide to mute" function also doesn't work until the HUD is booted.

This is just an FYI to anyone who may be on-the-fence about the volume slider vs knob.
Sponsored

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Quick swipe down the volume slide. (If you have the audio without the volume knob, that is.)
A button can be pressed if the steering is turned in any direction. It's simple, just press a button. Instead of swiping (which requires technique).

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Believe me, I tried all manner of trying to turn the volume down in those few seconds. The country music was quickly killing my brain cells. :eek: The "quick slide to mute" function also doesn't work until the HUD is booted.

This is just an FYI to anyone who may be on-the-fence about the volume slider vs knob.
Nothing is going to work until the head unit is booted, not even a traditional volume knob in a modern car. They are all digital now. You would need an analog volume knob to be able to adjust the volume before the unit is booted, which they just don't sell on cars anymore. This issue wouldn't be fixed by a physical volume knob.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
A button can be pressed if the steering is turned in any direction. It's simple, just press a button. Instead of swiping (which requires technique).
YMMV. When I have the steering wheel cocked so much that using the swiper is hard, I find hitting any of the buttons relatively difficult as well. They aren't where my fingers expect, nor where my hands are then placed on the wheel, so I have to accept distraction and head-down viewing to find them--and they are a moving target since I don't usually hold a large steering angle constantly. So playing with any of the buttons is not worth it while turning when I need to be paying attention to where the car is pointing.

I have the same problem with this incredibly marginal case that I had previously with the "but the track changed while I was in the middle of a U-turn and I had to turn the volume down instead of completing the turn first" case. And in this case, there is also the question of why mute the audio? Because you need to mute it, to answer a phone call, while in the middle of the same U-turn?

For my tastes, we've already reached or passed the saturation point for buttons on the wheel anyway.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. In that order.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I am getting used to no knobs since our CRV doesn't have any...I thought it was odd, but not really a negative...but if its my only gripe with the car, heck, I am happy...my Accord had a knob, I never used it tho, always used the steering wheel controls.

whatever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic
This thread is the silliest thing I've read in a while. "Honda gives you the most advanced way to change the volume and you guys complain!!!" or whatever the fuck the op said.

Knobs are better, period. I use both the knob and steering controls and that's the perfect solution. Why Honda decided to make a pointless change no one asked for, I'll never know. Literally ever other car maker gives you both knobs and steering wheel controls. Why can't Honda do the same?

Yes, the flaw is a minor one but it's still a flaw. If you don't use knobs, good for you. Why do you care that I do? Don't tell me what I do and don't need. I like simple, sensible controls, get over it.

You know, it is possible to like something without defending it to the nth degree. No one is saying Hondas are garbage cars just because they have fussy controls lol.

Also, saying touch sliders, and capacitive switches and other nonsense is some sort of advancement is ridiculous. That's like apple coming out with a spoon with a touchscreen on it, calling it the evolution of eating.

bradin9855

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring
Country flag
The tactile adjustment on the dashboard sucks! If I am a passenger and want to adjust the volume it's kinda tough nuts because it hardly works at all. I have to keep asking my husband to lower or raise the radio. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For you people who are complaining about no volume knob, just sell your car, it's useless, just sell it.

Joking. I like having a knob, but at the same time, I dont like touch screen radios. Personal choice. If you love your car, but must have a volume knob, change the HU. If you don't wanna change the HU, then quit bitc**ng.

newf4350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wop touring(civic)
I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing this. Your have the most cutting edge volume control since the knob on your steering wheel. Literally at your fingertips. Your hand doesn't even need to come off of the wheel.

Please tell me how this is an issue and why people complain about it.
AMEN...to that...

OP
OP
astein244@

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
This thread is the silliest thing I've read in a while. "Honda gives you the most advanced way to change the volume and you guys complain!!!" or whatever the fuck the op said.

Knobs are better, period. I use both the knob and steering controls and that's the perfect solution. Why Honda decided to make a pointless change no one asked for, I'll never know. Literally ever other car maker gives you both knobs and steering wheel controls. Why can't Honda do the same?

Yes, the flaw is a minor one but it's still a flaw. If you don't use knobs, good for you. Why do you care that I do? Don't tell me what I do and don't need. I like simple, sensible controls, get over it.

You know, it is possible to like something without defending it to the nth degree. No one is saying Hondas are garbage cars just because they have fussy controls lol.

Also, saying touch sliders, and capacitive switches and other nonsense is some sort of advancement is ridiculous. That's like apple coming out with a spoon with a touchscreen on it, calling it the evolution of eating.
who pooped in your cereal. People that complain about volume knobs are the same people that complain when the escalator breaks. Take the stairs and move on. I cant believe you created a login just to comment on this.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
The tactile adjustment on the dashboard sucks! If I am a passenger and want to adjust the volume it's kinda tough nuts because it hardly works at all. I have to keep asking my husband to lower or raise the radio. Pretty annoying if you ask me.
There is a volume selector to the left of the screen...its not a knob, but its there...

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag

it is possible to like something without defending it to the nth degree.
This. I'm comfortable enough to complain about something I own, and don't care if someone else doesn't like it 100%. I don't have to make excuses for every issue.
You can't say anything negative on here without getting burned at the stake.

Knobs are better, period.
This. No matter how well a slider works, a knob is still better.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
who pooped in your cereal. People that complain about volume knobs are the same people that complain when the escalator breaks. Take the stairs and move on. I cant believe you created a login just to comment on this.
You're implying that you never complain about anything.

OP
OP
astein244@

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
if boobs didn't have nipples would you still use them?
Sponsored