'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag

SumDuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
Country flag
This thread amuses me. There was a week or two after I got my 16 EX where I adjusted the temperature in the car every time I went to turn the radio up or down. I personally like the capacitive touch, but can understand why people like a knob. My wife used my car and couldn't figure out how to adjust the volume. She went from a knob in an 08 Sienna to a button in her 16 CRV, but couldn't figure out the touch. (Sorry to pump into an old thread, but I couldn't help myself)

pookscivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I don't have a volume knob on my tv, on my surround sound amp, nor on the remote controls that go with them. It works fine.
Are any of them touch sensitive? That's really what the issue is - you can't control the volume easily without looking on the main unit. The volume control on the steering wheel would make up for that, but the touch sensitive feature sends false-inputs all the time by accidentally grazing the control. This creates random volume changes needing adjustment. The solution is to turn that off, but that doesn't stay off. It constantly reactivates itself.

I do hate a lot of things about the UI and input sources, but I've found a lot that I love too, so I'm not a complete hater of it.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
http://www.consumerreports.org/suvs/2017-honda-cr-v-suv-preview/
"The feature we’re most enthusiastic about is the simplest: a physical volume knob."

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1299474
"But the 2017 CR-V EX lists for merely $600 more than the 2016 EX, and for this $600 you get a LOT of stuff, like an actual VOLUME KNOB for the radio (priceless)"

http://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2016-vs-2017-honda-cr-v-whats-the-difference-259495
"The touchscreen found on all other trims is not only an improvement on the rather aftermarket-looking unit available in the 2016 CR-V, but also on the frustrating touchscreen found in the Pilot, Civic and other Hondas. The main difference is the addition of a volume knob and new map, audio and phone shortcut buttons, which make going between the various menus far less confusing. Unfortunately, it's still quite slow in comparison to rival interfaces."

http://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2017-honda-cr-v-vs-2017-toyota-rav4-which-is-better-259850
"Honda's touchscreen interface has caused problems in other models"

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
a volume knob provides tactile feedback allowing precision, whether by a little skill or a stepping click.
I'm just getting caught up here and am quite amused by this debate.
Based on the comments in this thread, it sounds like some people are not even aware that the "touch sensitive slider pad" is also a rocker switch, with tactile clicks that allow changing the volume by one increment at a time, or a large amount by pressing and holding. Just press near the top (+) or the bottom (-).

Some have commented here that "change is hard". I'm 63 years old and find the steering wheel controls for volume completely adequate and intuitive. But I admit that I drive with my RIGHT hand at the 12 o'clock position.

If Honda were to make a volume knob available as an option on the car, and priced it at $1, I would not buy it.
However, it there were are option to have normal variable speed intermittent wipers for my Touring (rather than the flakey rain sensing stuff), I would pay a lot for that!!

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
To hell with the volume knob. Try putting 400 albums on a USB stick and trying to scroll through them with the touchscreen. Unless the screen (or the software) has significantly changed since the 2015 Fit EX, I'll take my crap Civic Sport head unit any day. I added about $1500 worth of stuff and am perfectly happy with the base head unit. Scrolling through albums is MUCH faster.

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
To hell with the volume knob. Try putting 400 albums on a USB stick and trying to scroll through them with the touchscreen.
What is scrolling needed for? Music Search by Voice works great to find what you want immediately. Search by Artist, Album, Track. Or maybe you don't have that feature on your trim level? Sorry, you get what you pay for :banghead:

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
To hell with the volume knob. Try putting 400 albums on a USB stick and trying to scroll through them with the touchscreen. Unless the screen (or the software) has significantly changed since the 2015 Fit EX, I'll take my crap Civic Sport head unit any day. I added about $1500 worth of stuff and am perfectly happy with the base head unit. Scrolling through albums is MUCH faster.
I have 360 MP3 Folders (1 per artist title) on a USB Flash drive and must admit that using the knob in my LX takes longer than I'd like. Is this the only way?

arhncmh

It's not my fault, really.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan CVT
Country flag
I have 360 MP3 Folders (1 per artist title) on a USB Flash drive and must admit that using the knob in my LX takes longer than I'd like. Is this the only way?

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I'm only comparing it with the crap interface I had in my 2015 Fit Ex. Scrolling on that screen took FOREVER. I agree it's a tad annoying, but I'm not about to bother upgrading.

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm just getting caught up here and am quite amused by this debate.
Based on the comments in this thread, it sounds like some people are not even aware that the "touch sensitive slider pad" is also a rocker switch, with tactile clicks that allow changing the volume by one increment at a time, or a large amount by pressing and holding. Just press near the top (+) or the bottom (-).

Some have commented here that "change is hard". I'm 63 years old and find the steering wheel controls for volume completely adequate and intuitive. But I admit that I drive with my RIGHT hand at the 12 o'clock position.

If Honda were to make a volume knob available as an option on the car, and priced it at $1, I would not buy it.
However, it there were are option to have normal variable speed intermittent wipers for my Touring (rather than the flakey rain sensing stuff), I would pay a lot for that!!
It certainly sounds like there are mixed opinions. I am 32 years old, definitely a techie that appreciates new technology, but I find the steering wheel and touch screen interfaces totally inadequate. The steering wheel isn't really the problem though, it's the touch screen. However, I do find that I struggle to turn the volume up or down the amount that I actually wanted when I attempt to slide my finger rather than using the steering wheel slider as an up/down button. With volume knobs it is very easy to get the volume to the exact level you want it without over or undershooting.

My wife goes crazy when she's in the passenger seat attempting to adjust the volume on the touch screen. If we hit the slightest bump and her finger moves, she ends up pushing the wrong button and doing something other than changing the volume. The volume slider on the touch screen simply does not add any functionality at all, but removes the ease of use of a knob.

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
My wife goes crazy when she's in the passenger seat attempting to adjust the volume on the touch screen.
You let your wife adjust the volume? Well there is part of the problem :doh:.

Anyway I find this entire topic totally absurd... I really can't take this silliness any more, so I am removing myself from notifications for this thread.....

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I really can't take this silliness any more, so I am removing myself from notifications for this thread.....
You can't say I didn't try to warn you.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just tap + or - instead of holding the slider.
Sponsored