First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From a quick look... the mirror is obviously damaged. The door is obviously damaged. The bottom panel (under the door) is not aligned with the front fender.. either by it being damaged or the fender itself being damaged (the gaps are all off) The driver side fender is at least scuffed. The side mirror has prepainted shells as I recall... so that one is fairly cheap/easy so long as the assembly is fine. The door crash bar is less than an inch inside the outer skin of the door right at the midline. My guess is the door may be toast and the crash bar stopped the dent from being deeper.

I had 2 instances within a years time with this Si with paint damage and each one was around $2k for the collision shop to do. The damage may not be mechanically substantial but It’s still going to cost a good chunk of change. It‘s more than paying a dude in a mall parking lot to pop out a couple of dents.
Sponsored

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Way to teach someone responsibility. "Oh not to worry mommy will bail me out."
Kiddo is 16 he’s mommy’s responsibility.

I’m liable for what my kids do. I have an umbrella policy to cover landlord liability. Umbrella = my car insurance falls under it. Kiddos live at home + get a license = on my policy.

That policy is there for 1 in a lifetime cases like “owe surviving family $800,000 for wrongful death liability because of a bad fuse installed before I was born that caused a rental house to burn down” but my kiddo forgetting to look behind him 100% effects it. I’m damn sure not going to hesitate to write a check for a few grand to avoid a claim against me.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the dent went into the fender too. A new door with interals, fender, mirror, and paint + blending would probably be over $3k at a shop. I suspect that is more than what mommy wants to pay out of pocket.

Jogales

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Country flag
If she is offering to settle without insurance, there's no reason to not go that route as long as she's paying for a repair that is done to your satisfaction. I think the damage is already done (so to speak) on your trade in value if a police report has been filed. Carfax will pick that up and probably have a "damage reported" entry on the report. If I were you, I'd have detailed pictures of the damage and records from the body shop that does the repair. It may affect your trade value a small amount, but a dealer will certainly still take your car in. Honestly, when I'm appraising someone's trade, if they're a previous customer of ours and they've been servicing the vehicle with us, I don't even deduct for something like that on trade in value.

Source: I work at a car dealership and appraise cars all day

licelsior

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW, 2003 S2000
Country flag
Once a police report is filed, it pops up on carfax/autocheck. Your insurance rates may also go up and your accident free streak might be gone as well.

Go off the record and get it done privately. That dent looks like PDR might be able to take care of it so you can save some pennies off that if you get a autobody estimate.

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
young kid backed into my Si breaking the top of mirror and putting a giant dent in the front of drivers door... got a police report and he claims he has insurance.. his mom is trying to settle with no insurance.. I said No.. couple of questions here..
1: will this dent and mirror be reported to carfax if we go thru insurance and will it effect the value of my car if i trade it in.. i here dealers wont even take the car if it was in a accident.. this was more like a fender bender..
2: How much will it cost to get a giant dent out ? i know there is guys who just do dents.. and how much to replace the housing of the top of the side Mirror that broke off? and could the dealer make these repairs ?im pretty pissed off right now cause the dope lives across the street from me. I was also planing of keeping the car for while it has 53k on it no issues and its a black coupe Si.. so pissed !
From looking at this looks similar to my sons deer incident recently. Yes, one literally ran into the side of a brand new WRX. His damage was $2800. When it dented in multiple spots will need a new door or door skin.

Insurance is expensive under 21. If mom pays $2800 or whatever the repair would be actually smart. A collision claim will raise this young drivers insurance and over a few years will far exceed that payout. If mom pays it’s fine. However, doing this causes some issues. Like if the repair wasn’t done correctly the insurance can’t dispute. So it would totally be on you with the collision center. Using a preferred body shop has a advantage because the insurance company backs their work!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Just get some quotes at shops of your choice, then give the mother the quote and a chance to give you the cash. Why not do that? If she refuses, THEN you go through insurance.

GotBoost?

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan, 1992 Chevy Blazer
Country flag
young kid backed into my Si breaking the top of mirror and putting a giant dent in the front of drivers door... got a police report and he claims he has insurance.. his mom is trying to settle with no insurance.. I said No.. couple of questions here..
1: will this dent and mirror be reported to carfax if we go thru insurance and will it effect the value of my car if i trade it in.. i here dealers wont even take the car if it was in a accident.. this was more like a fender bender..
2: How much will it cost to get a giant dent out ? i know there is guys who just do dents.. and how much to replace the housing of the top of the side Mirror that broke off? and could the dealer make these repairs ?im pretty pissed off right now cause the dope lives across the street from me. I was also planing of keeping the car for while it has 53k on it no issues and its a black coupe Si.. so pissed !
I recently had an old man slowly back into me while I was in the car. Rear driver side corner back bumper. It was a very small amount of paint damage and probably a broken clip behind that. Claimed he didn't want to go thru insurance either, didn't want to waste his accident forgiveness on this. I think he hits 5 cars/yr and doesn't want his license taken away. He looked at it and said " eh it looks about $1,000 in damage". I thought "yeah pops actually you're probably right on point". I got an estimate for $850 plus a few days of rental car costs put it right at $1,000. Called dude, he offered a bank check, I said straight cash homie, he requested a statement saying 'no injuries/settled in full', I obliged and got my $1,000. I pushed out the smalllll plastic dent NP and buffed out rest of damage to 97% and immediately bought new 18x8.5 +45 Konig Hypergrams + 245 Hankook summer tires.

If you don't go thru insurance just remember to accrue for incidentals like rental car costs etc.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Replacing the front fender at my local body shop was quoted at 725$. Add in a door and possibly trim and it's easy 2k+
Sponsored