Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
young kid backed into my Si breaking the top of mirror and putting a giant dent in the front of drivers door... got a police report and he claims he has insurance.. his mom is trying to settle with no insurance.. I said No.. couple of questions here..
1: will this dent and mirror be reported to carfax if we go thru insurance and will it effect the value of my car if i trade it in.. i here dealers wont even take the car if it was in a accident.. this was more like a fender bender..
2: How much will it cost to get a giant dent out ? i know there is guys who just do dents.. and how much to replace the housing of the top of the side Mirror that broke off? and could the dealer make these repairs ?im pretty pissed off right now cause the dope lives across the street from me. I was also planing of keeping the car for while it has 53k on it no issues and its a black coupe Si.. so pissed !
Sponsored

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
his mom is trying to settle with no insurance...
I think it’s worth a shot to see how serious she is.

Grab a repair quote from the dealer, shoot her a copy and say you’ll “take a certified check, and if you can’t do that, it’s fine I’ll file the insurance in 2 days.”

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
young kid backed into my Si breaking the top of mirror and putting a giant dent in the front of drivers door... got a police report and he claims he has insurance.. his mom is trying to settle with no insurance.. I said No.. couple of questions here..
1: will this dent and mirror be reported to carfax if we go thru insurance and will it effect the value of my car if i trade it in.. i here dealers wont even take the car if it was in a accident.. this was more like a fender bender..
2: How much will it cost to get a giant dent out ? i know there is guys who just do dents.. and how much to replace the housing of the top of the side Mirror that broke off? and could the dealer make these repairs ?im pretty pissed off right now cause the dope lives across the street from me. I was also planing of keeping the car for while it has 53k on it no issues and its a black coupe Si.. so pissed !
1) It likely will be if it’s done via a claim. You can get depreciated value as part of your claim and a small check cut... at least that’s what I’ve done in the past.

2) There is a crash bar inside the door... essentially rolled steel that makes up the actual strength of the door in a side impact. If the dent is that big/deep... it may very well have pushed and compromised the crashbar itself. If you have the car in your possession, you can pull the door trim off in a few minutes and check it out. If it was a decent hit. I’d think the door itself might be toast and should be replaced for a proper repair.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a small dent on each door about 2/3 of the way up the panel and on either side of where the doors meet. The window would not roll up very fast and that's how they knew it needed replacing. Then, when they put it up on the lift to look at it better, the dents spread basically from end to end on each door and they had to replace both panels.

I would either pull the trim off and check yourself or go get it looked at by a body shop and make sure they look inside at that crash bar like others said above!

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
OP same situation happened to my Si in the parking lot. If you plan on getting the car repaired I would go straight to filing a claim. Initial repair quotes only cover what can be seen by the eyes. If there's internal damage then you're going to get screwed on the settlement amount. If this is a beater car and you don't plan on getting your car repaired then I would take the money.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 2013 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring
Country flag

Bummer on your car, and it IS a hassle to get repairs.

That being said, it could be a lot worse - think of hit and run where you walk outside in the morning to find massive damage to your car, or while you are inside at work or shopping someone hits your car, or rams a shopping cart into it (ask me how I know about that one).

Sounds like the "kid" (assuming a teenager 16-18 still living at home?) and his mother stepped up to the plate to take responsibility.

Is there a reason you have completely ruled out handling this outside of insurance channels? It is a perfectly normal request - as the damage is fixed, and it keeps the insurance rates of the person who is at fault from skyrocketing - this is even more true if they are a new driver. IMO this used to be considered common practice, ESPECIALLY if both parties know each other, even in passing (high school classmates, work at same company, NEIGHBORS, etc.)

Apparently you place no value on having a cordial relationship with your neighbors - perhaps there is a reason for this or there is a history there - otherwise IMO you might live to regret this. It's always better to have friendly and cordial relationships with your neighbors.

IMO there is no downside to handling the repairs outside of insurance. YOU can pick a company that you trust for repairs, and get an estimate, and if the persons mom agrees, have her pay for it in your presence, and get your car fixed. This is NOT the same thing as an accident where there were injuries, etc.

Also, someday YOU might have a young teenaged driver-in-training, and the same thing might happen, with YOUR young driver being at fault, and you may want to go the same route as your neighbors mother. But karma can be a beech. Just sayin.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Definitely get insurance involved. Thats why you have it and thats why they have it. When my SI was hit and being worked on in the shop they kept finding more stuff wrong with it but mine wasnt backed into, I was Tboned into the front passenger wheel at 30-40 mph.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Definitely get insurance involved. Thats why you have it and thats why they have it. When my SI was hit and being worked on in the shop they kept finding more stuff wrong with it but mine wasnt backed into, I was Tboned into the front passenger wheel at 30-40 mph.
YES. This is what insurance is for. File the claim to CYA.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Way to teach someone responsibility. "Oh not to worry mommy will bail me out."

How do you figure?

As Mom is probably paying for the car insurance policy, as is the case with most teenaged drivers, I am only pointing out it is not a "scam" to work with another driver when involved in an accident. If someone is willing to step up and pay for the damages to my car, I personally don't see any need to "punish" them with skyrocketing insurance rates for several years. And for me, this applied DOUBLY if the other driver is a neighbor that I don't have any ill will toward or bad prior history with. (now if they are the neighbor from hell or just an A-hole, it swings the pendulum the other way).

As far as "teaching responsibility"?

Not following you there either.

As the mother / parent stepping up to pay for damages caused by their MINOR child is so common as to be probably 99% of cases, whether it be with a direct payment, or through paying for insurance premiums. The case where a "kid" worked from young teenage years and completely bought his first vehicle (without gift money from family) and continues to work to pay 100% for gas, repairs and insurance is simply not that common.

NEITHER of us has ANY idea what kind of parent this mother is, or what repercussions or punishment she may already have lined up for her young teenage driver - so again, YOUR STATEMENT IS INVALID.

Last edited:

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^thanks for the photos OP.

Looks like the damage is confined to the single door panel?

No involvement of the front left quarter panel?

No issues with the window rolling down completely?

No wonder the mother wanted to just pay for the damage.
Perfectly reasonable response on her part. Repair cost probably not much more than her insurance deductible, and she will end up paying several times that amount in higher premiums for several years.

I know personally I carry a $1,000 deductible, to make my rates more affordable, as I have no intention to make a claim on anything other than for serious damage - the insurance company ALWAYS gets their money back.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
BIG difference in the type of accident here.

In a collision at those speeds, NOBODY tries to fix it outside of insurance by just paying for the damage.

It simply would not make any sense.

Small dents and paint scratches caused at parking lot speeds is what my posts refer to.
Sponsored