Yet another AC problem, how did your dealership handle?

HotCar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
Long time reader, first time poster.

My AC broke about two weeks ago. I got in the car after work and it was 85 degrees out and I was burning up after a day of hot work and hit the AC and nothing came out. I called the dealership closest to me and made an appointment and specifically mentioned the condenser service bulletin and at first they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about and then by the end of the call they sounded more familiar with it. I told them I needed a Saturday appointment and today was the first day they could get me in. While waiting the two weeks between scheduling and today I mentioned my issue to a family member who has a Civic and he said his AC went out in July and he paid to have it recharged at the same dealership and it did not work and they had just quoted him 600 bucks for a condenser replacement and then it would need to be recharged again. I told him about the service bulletin and he knew nothing about it and said the dealership never mentioned it. Today I went to the dealership and had a printout of the notice with me and when I checked in the with the car I was pretty much immediately told they would have to recharge my system and it would cost me $300 to recharge it. I provided the printout of the Honda service bulletin and the service manager said "I don't know where that came from" It seemed to me like I was being set up on the same con as the family member and I told them to return my keys as I wanted to get a second opinion. Am I being unreasonable here or is this dealership trying to take me for a ride? How have you all handled this with your dealership? I plan to call the dealership I purchased at on Monday but it is about another two hours away round trip.
Sponsored

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Did they even check your car to say it needed a recharge?? I don't understand how the AC can run out in 3 years. Ask them if they can give you a print out as to what's wrong with the vehicle and confirm its not the condenser and if it is the condenser if they will refund you the cost of filling up the system.

Definitely keep any documentation and contact Honda Corporate telling them what you have told us.

OP
OP

HotCar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
Did they even check your car to say it needed a recharge?? I don't understand how the AC can run out in 3 years. Ask them if they can give you a print out as to what's wrong with the vehicle and confirm its not the condenser and if it is the condenser if they will refund you the cost of filling up the system.

Definitely keep any documentation and contact Honda Corporate telling them what you have told us.

They never laid eyes on it. I parked in the lot, walked in and handed him my keys and told them what it was doing. He started on that it would need recharged and I asked about the TSB and he insisted they would have to recharge it. I asked for my keys back and left. I was in the building less than five minutes and the only thing that was done was they put a tag on my key.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
So many problems here to address from both parties...

1.)Yes, there is a TSB regarding 2016-2018 Civic a/c condenser leaks, it's TSB 19-091 if you want them to reference that. It does pertain to ALL trim levels including your EX, but a VIN inquiry is needed to be performed first off to see if this bulletin actually applies to your specific car or not. Your car may have been produced at a plant that was not effected by this production flaw, hence the VIN inquiry to check if it applies.

2.)The service dept handled this like shit. Upon writing up your car, we must perform a VIN inquiry, this checks for any pending recalls or safety updates that must be performed to your car, this a/c tsb should have popped up during this standard procedure.

3.)Calm down. You sound like you are walking in, throwing your keys and saying "do the recall stupid". 2016-2020 civics have been having TONS of a/c related failures, including a/c evaporators and compressors. Proper diag must be performed to pin point the issue.

4.)Yes, we must recharge the system to do a proper diagnosis, much like you have to fill a flat tire with air to find a puncture. Standard procedure here so that they can add UV leak dye or use an infrared sniffer tool to find your leak. Let them diagnose the car properly, just because a TSB exists out there does not mean that is the problem.

Everyone failed here. Go to another dealer, be more relaxed, know going in that based on your mileage/year this may not be under warranty anyways. 3yr/36k miles is the a/c warranty. Having said that, many customers are getting assistance from honda out of warranty because Honda knows there are issues and they want to keep you as a customer. If it is not within warranty, inquire your service writer about the repair going "goodwill warranty or a split warranty". You have to know going into an out of warranty repair that you will be charged a diag fee, again standard procedure for out of warranty work, if it reverts back to a warranty claim such as a condenser failure or Honda takes care of it through a goodwill, you will be credited back your diag fee.

OP
OP

HotCar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
I admit I was frustrated, but I was basically told up front it would be $300 without them ever looking at it. I did not mention the TSB until after he discussion was underway and the cost was mentioned. I certainly did not walk in and tell them how to do their job, only that my AC was not functional. I did have a copy of it with me and that was suggested to me by the dealership I purchased from. They never looked at my car and it had never been to this dealership before for them to have any information on file. I don't mind paying for a diagnostic but he did not say they would vac test, just refill it and he said that would take an hour.

Also, my car was CPO. My mileage is under 30k. I am under warranty for almost another year, I called my dealership I purchased from to verify before scheduling.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This dealer sounds like garbage, go to another. Just hand them your keys, tell them what's wrong and go home and have a beer. Let them figure it out. You bought a new car, you didn't sign up to be a lemon law attorney here lol, let the dealer find the TSB's and deal with it.

The car is CPO? You have absolutely nothing to pay for then, go home and relax. And as luck would have it, I have a 2017 EX in my bay right now...compressor is leaking, thought of you lol. I will tell you though, get all this stuff looked at right now. I'm doing this compressor under extended warranty from a 3rd party, most people aren't so lucky. This one is a 2017 w/ 40,440mi.

We have a national backorder on these a/c parts. Condensers and compressors are coming in usually next day, evaporators are on a crazy backorder. We are now 40+ cars deep on the wait list for evaporators and are just recharging the systems in the meantime while they wait.

OP
OP

HotCar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
This dealer sounds like garbage, go to another. Just hand them your keys, tell them what's wrong and go home and have a beer. Let them figure it out.

The car is CPO? You have absolutely nothing to pay for then, go home and relax. And as luck would have it, I have a 2017 EX in my bay right now...compressor is leaking, thought of you lol. I will tell you though, get all this stuff looked at right now. I'm doing this compressor under extended warranty from a 3rd party, most people aren't so lucky. This one is a 2017 w/ 40,440mi.

We have a national backorder on these a/c parts. Condensers and compressors are coming in usually next day, evaporators are on a crazy backorder. We are now 40+ cars deep on the wait list for evaporators and are just recharging the systems in the meantime while they wait.
I get that you guys have a hard job and it sucks, my grandfather ran a service station for about fifty years. My father in law retired as a GM mechanic after 30. Dealing with people sucks, I get it. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard where some idiot never changed oil and seized an engine up or ran pads down until noting was left and then tore through rotors. But the opening experience of my introduction to this dealership after I told them it was an AC issue was they asked if I was staying here or leaving it, I asked how long and he said they had to recharge and it would take an hour and cost $300. As far as I know he did not have my VIN, I never gave it to them when I made the appointment and the phone number I provided when I booked the appointment was different from what the car is registered to. I had never taken my vehicle to this location before and the vehicle was CPO from a different dealership. It just seemed they were awful quick to make a cash grab.

Thanks for your help.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I get that you guys have a hard job and it sucks, my grandfather ran a service station for about fifty years. My father in law retired as a GM mechanic after 30. Dealing with people sucks, I get it. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard where some idiot never changed oil and seized an engine up or ran pads down until noting was left and then tore through rotors. But the opening experience of my introduction to this dealership after I told them it was an AC issue was they asked if I was staying here or leaving it, I asked how long and he said they had to recharge and it would take an hour and cost $300. As far as I know he did not have my VIN, I never gave it to them when I made the appointment and the phone number I provided when I booked the appointment was different from what the car is registered to. I had never taken my vehicle to this location before and the vehicle was CPO from a different dealership. It just seemed they were awful quick to make a cash grab.

Thanks for your help.
Its your vehicle that you paid for. When you brought it it came with the 3 years warranty. They need to honor the conditions you signed for on the car. Honestly, get the wheels rolling with Honda USA. You may have to fork out and claim it back but before the dealership touches your car, make sure you've emailed/communicated to Honda what the issue is and the fact they're not even diagnosing your car. Do this before the garage touches your car.

The fact they've given you a remedy without diagnosing the car is mind blowing.

I had an issue with a dealership making me wait a month and a half before telling me they were not going to fix it and only diagnose it. It was in the high 30c this summer. I contacted Honda Canada and the issue was resolved within 2 weeks.

Which dealership is it?

Zzyzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX & 2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Long time reader, first time poster.

My AC broke about two weeks ago. I got in the car after work and it was 85 degrees out and I was burning up after a day of hot work and hit the AC and nothing came out. I called the dealership closest to me and made an appointment and specifically mentioned the condenser service bulletin and at first they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about and then by the end of the call they sounded more familiar with it. I told them I needed a Saturday appointment and today was the first day they could get me in. While waiting the two weeks between scheduling and today I mentioned my issue to a family member who has a Civic and he said his AC went out in July and he paid to have it recharged at the same dealership and it did not work and they had just quoted him 600 bucks for a condenser replacement and then it would need to be recharged again. I told him about the service bulletin and he knew nothing about it and said the dealership never mentioned it. Today I went to the dealership and had a printout of the notice with me and when I checked in the with the car I was pretty much immediately told they would have to recharge my system and it would cost me $300 to recharge it. I provided the printout of the Honda service bulletin and the service manager said "I don't know where that came from" It seemed to me like I was being set up on the same con as the family member and I told them to return my keys as I wanted to get a second opinion. Am I being unreasonable here or is this dealership trying to take me for a ride? How have you all handled this with your dealership? I plan to call the dealership I purchased at on Monday but it is about another two hours away round trip.
Hi All,

The A/C stopped working on my wife's 2016 Civic EX. Since The car is only 4 years old, I found this unusual and started researching the problem. I was a bit surprised seeing all the A/C related issues. I have owned Civics since 2007 and have been problem free.

After some extensive research, it looked like it might be the condenser causing the failure. I called my local Honda dealer and let them know the issue and also brought up that I was aware that many 2016+ Civic owners were having the same issue. He did concede that they were aware of a condenser issue and would replace free if it was the cause of the failure. However, after a couple days, I get a call that it was the compressor, not the condenser and would run me $1500.00 to fix. I let the service associate (calmly) know that the car was to new to have this type of issue and wanted him to work with me on a reasonable fix. He was quick to let me know he would check with his boss and American Honda and get back to me. An hour later, he called to let me know they would cover all the charges to fix. I'm wondering if the A/C system is more of an issue then the widely known condenser issue. Nonetheless, I'm happy they took care of it and didn't have to unnecessary incur a $1500.00 bill.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
@Zzyzx the A/C issue is caused by the refrigerant leaking slowly because of a faulty condenser. Once the refrigerant is in a critical low level and is forced to run, it also affects the compressor since there is not that much refrigerant in the system.

Not running the A/C at least once a week even in winter dries up the seals that will also cause a slow leak of the refrigerant.

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
2016 LX.

I lost the A/C the first time after Winter (hadn't been used in months). I charged it up, then it was OK. Then when I traveled (parked over 2 weeks), I lost it again. I charged it again...held up for months. Eventually, it failed again. So I went to Holler Honda.

They said that it's the compressor. I asked what did you do to diagnose? - "We looked at it". I said leak test, Freon sniffer, UV dye? - "We looked at it". So how bad is it? - "It's bad". So really, quantify that - "it's bad". So if I charge it, how long will it hold? - "it'll leak out by tomorrow".

I received a bill for $330 - $200 for diag and $130 for "recharge". I was also quoted $1800 for the compressor replacement. They said it wasn't the condenser.

Given how incompetent the answers were, I wasn't comfortable dropping the money then and there.

I came home, charged it up, the A/C worked again. It has been 8 months and it still works. I added some lubricant to it as well.

Nevertheless, there is an issue and I have yet to figure out what it is. I sure as hell am not going back to Holler Honda.

I added UV Dye as well. There still is no apparent detectable leak. I looked very closely at the condenser and compressor.

It's almost like there's a pressure safety valve somewhere that would vent the refrigerant when parked for a long time (but this doesn't make sense in case of winter).

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I still see people mentioning the 3 year/30,000 mile warranty for the condenser. In August 2019, the A/C condenser warranty for all 2016-2018 Civics has been extended to 10 years/Unlimited miles.

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
The real problem lies in the fact that oil is charged along with the refrigerant. If the refrigerant leaks, the oil also leaks....no matter where in the system. When you don't have enough refrigerant, other moving parts, namely compressor, would have accelerated wear as well.

So to warranty one part is really not right. It's like giving a extended warranty to the oil pan given a known oil leak issue, but not the engine.

I had to play the dealer's game (by going to them...outside mechanic can't service warranty item). In the service bulletin, it states outright that extended condenser leak can cause damage to the compressor.

I still see people mentioning the 3 year/30,000 mile warranty for the condenser.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
My a/c is out too. My dealer told me there is a 10 year warranty. I drove it through their drive through service garage, they took a quick look and ordered the parts. They said basically all a/c units in these cars fail. No cost to me.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Great to hear. Honda know the condenser has an issue. The condenser issue, if not resolved, causes a compressor issue (lack of lubrication/system pressure). Honda knows this and takes ownership of their mistakes.

I've had Honda products (cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc.) for my whole life. Honda has incredible customer service. They know they have issues (they admit it in their service bulletins). Honda puts out so many bulletins asking dealers to be on the lookout for customers that have specific complaints, so that the dealer can replace the parts and send them back to engineering for diagnostics. Honda would rather pay for the services to understand the problem to avoid costly business impacts in the future.
Sponsored