First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went in a Toyota dealer to buy another car. But funny story I talked to one of the service technicians at Honda when I was cruising around and consequently saw him at Sheetz. Had a good laugh about it because when he saw me pull in with the si it was super funny for him because of the look of my face. It was true I think when I pulled into the service bay with the si I knew I was gonna be dead. He was surprised about what new car, It wasn't some grocery getter like I thought I was buying since I wanted a corolla hatch manual at the time. But walking around I saw a last years model of an 86 that was marked down heavily from it's starting msrp only because it never got sold for so long. So here it is a 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE and my photoshoot.

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. IMG_6339

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. IMG_6376[1]

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. IMG_6384

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. 20200923_120703

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. IMG_6457

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sedan Sport
Country flag
I went in a Toyota dealer to buy another car. But funny story I talked to one of the service technicians at Honda when I was cruising around and consequently saw him at Sheetz. Had a good laugh about it because when he saw me pull in with the si it was super funny for him because of the look of my face. It was true I think when I pulled into the service bay with the si I knew I was gonna be dead. He was surprised about what new car, It wasn't some grocery getter like I thought I was buying since I wanted a corolla hatch manual at the time. But walking around I saw a last years model of an 86 that was marked down heavily from it's starting msrp only because it never got sold for so long. So here it is a 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE and my photoshoot.

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6376[1].jpg

IMG_6384.jpg

20200923_120703.jpg

IMG_6457.jpg
Dont blow it up this time please

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s threads like this that are going me make me make a gimped 10# map with a 85 mph speed limiter if I still have my Si by the time my kids start driving. It’d take me less than 5 minutes. Imaging my kids doing 150 in a Civic on the highway is going to keep me up at night...

Enjoy the ‘86 OP. If you’re going to do dumb stuff on the highway no one here can stop you... but at least pick one and at a time you’re unlikely to take someone with you. Many of us would be hypocritical to say we haven’t done it (I would be)... even though you obviously shouldn’t. I don’t doubt you’ll be trying to bounce the ‘86 off it’s speed limiter soon enough.

The “cost”, so far as consequences go, hasn’t been high thus far. Not paying for a repair, using your parents Civic for a bit and getting another car in about a month. You’re dodging bullets like...
Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. DB73EA64-1CAD-4DAA-B84C-3B4E9AE8A8EF

I hope your good fortune continues. I really do.

OP
OP
TheMarkedOne

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can keep my current driving habits of just driving to work and school. I can't afford to go on leisurely cruises and I definitely don't want to be going as fast as I was before in the slightest. I hope It stays this way but I cannot guarantee my future. Say what you will I do sound like a big liar in my original post when I said I wouldn't be responsible with another sports car.

Last edited:

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to see you blow up this one too. Then come back and tell us which car lasted longer - the Toyota or the Honda :) you’d be doing the research for the next marque I buy lol
I can keep my current driving habits of just driving to work and school. I can't afford to go on leisurely cruises and I definitely don't want to be going as fast as I was before in the slightest. I hope It stays this way but I cannot guarantee my future. Say what you will I do sound like a big liar in my original post when I said I wouldn't be responsible with another sports car.

OP
OP
TheMarkedOne

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bet I will update if that ever happens but I hope to hell not that it would blow up. No promises, but this would be skewed because I am not decimating it like before.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So going 145mph is gonna blow your moto? I've gone 210km over 50 times and nothing didn't happen so far
:doh:

Admitting you've driven your Civic that fast that many times tells me all I need to know.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That 15 extra MPH (210 kph ~ 130 mph) is around 30% extra load... 110 whp vs 150 whp to just maintain. The (north of) 150 the OP claimed takes ~165 whp for 150 alone... half again the load on the engine. Small differences in speed at high speed make large differences in engine load. My Z calls for no light oil viscosities and plug changes for “sustained high load” operation. It is an actual sport car... I don’t think a Civic, modified for more power is built or has fluids that are suited to exceed and maintain such high speeds.

I use 0w-20 and OEM plugs and drive the car reasonably. I do not believe 150+ is reasonable for one if not both. It is, of course, roughly 2x interstate speed limits.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good on you. We all have particular moments in life where we go “damn, can’t believe I did that” and then never do it again.

OP
OP
TheMarkedOne

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, been awhile so why not update ya'll.

Turned 20 a bit ago and I am half way through college hooray! I passed 16k Miles on my 86 and she's running like a champ! Got new wheels too. :lol:

As for the civic hatch my brother dailies it and my parents got another car to drive. Nothing too exciting but just looking back at this thread made me remember how bad everything used to be. Every night after work in my uniform I didn't go home or take a shower I just went straight to an underground meet at a parking lot where a Dicks sporting goods used to be at. I would meet up and race other cars there until midnight or so it was terrible. Those days when I was 18 felt like life was kind of meaningless and I didn't know where I wanted to be. I had the Si, worked and raced that's all I knew. That's partially why I drove the thing with reckless abandon. But being in my 20s now I finally recognize and realize things I have to look forward to so I hope I won't be so reckless again.

Anyways enough of that depressing stuff. I am still a car person at heart and still go to events! Cars and coffees are way cooler getting to talk to those older guys. There is plenty of wisdom to be passed around there and I found plenty of good friends that don't encourage me to go to those stupid underground meets anymore.

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. DSC_0174.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Yes I am dumb, blew my own motor at 19. DSC_0171.JPG

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
I must be old. When I was your age, grenading a motor was a badge of honor. We'd head to the nearest junkyard on a Saturday morning and yank another big block from a wrecked Camaro or Chevelle. By Monday morning, the car was ready to drive to high school for the week. By Friday night, the car was fully dialed in for another round of, "spirited driving in Mexico".

You sound like a good kid who is simply learning about life. Carry on.
Sponsored