Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of an amazing trip to work early this morning. I usually go mostly highway but I needed gas and went a different way. I usually avoid this particular road because there are literally 15 traffic lights on my 9 mile commute.

I took that road today. At the gas station, I put about 2/3 of a bottle of Regane in before I filled up. I figured with all this talk of injector issues, it couldn't hurt even though I use top tier gas.

The stars must have been aligned perfectly because at 5 AM no one was on the road and I only hit 2 of the 15 traffic lights. I probably averaged a little under 50 mph for the drive.

When I got to work, I couldn't believe what I saw on the screen...

Honda Civic 10th gen Yep that happened IMG_20200703_163602

The crazy thing is I didn't hit those two lights until the last mile of the trip. I was actually getting 61+ mpg at that point!

So yeah, if you're wondering, part throttle cruising and a tune can equal really good mileage. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Kind of an amazing trip to work early this morning. I usually go mostly highway but I needed gas and went a different way. I usually avoid this particular road because there are literally 15 traffic lights in only 9 miles.

I took that road today. At the gas station, I put about 2/3 of a bottle of Regane in before I filled up. I figured with all this talk of injector issues, it couldn't hurt even though I use top tier gas.

The stars must have been aligned perfectly because at 5 AM no one was on the road and I only hit 2 of the 15 traffic lights. I probably averaged a little under 50 mph for the drive.

When I got to work, I couldn't believe what I saw on the screen...

IMG_20200703_163602.jpg

The crazy thing is I didn't hit those two lights until the last mile of the trip. I was actually getting 61+ mpg at that point!

So yeah, if you're wondering, part throttle cruising and a tune can equal really good mileage. :thumbsup:
Brother, the economy gauge makes a calculation by counting the number and duration of pulses made by the fuel injectors as they squirt gasoline into the combustion chambers of the engine. The onboard computer system divides the distance the car travels by this estimated fuel consumption. It isnā€™t accurate in the slightest.
Something about the Regane tricked the injector system or perhaps it was just resetting due to a recent reflash not disclosed?

BTW - there is plenty of detergent in Top Tier pump fuel that already cleans the fuel system. The only way to really clean the injectors is to disassemble and clean.
I am just as old school as you bud, but there are a lot of beliefs that are just plain false.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Brother, the economy gauge makes a calculation by counting the number and duration of pulses made by the fuel injectors as they squirt gasoline into the combustion chambers of the engine. The onboard computer system divides the distance the car travels by this estimated fuel consumption. It isnā€™t accurate in the slightest.
Something about the Regane tricked the injector system or perhaps it was just resetting due to a recent reflash not disclosed?

BTW - there is plenty of detergent in Top Tier pump fuel that already cleans the fuel system. The only way to really clean the injectors is to disassemble and clean.
I am just as old school as you bud, but there are a lot of beliefs that are just plain false.
And thus, a greater distance equals a greater MPG. Fuel injector "squirting" is irrelevant. Only distance is required for MPG (and injector firing, but volume needs not be measured)

But yes you are right Injctor cleaners on the 1.5 civic does not do jack to clean.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know what or how it calculates, but I know it's always on the high side compared to any and all apps Ive used to keep track of my mpg.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
In the few years I've owned the car though that's the by far the best mileage I've gotten. I've found the trip computer to be about 5% optimistic but that's the norm for all cars I've owned over the years.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I've had a couple 50+ mpg runs. The best was 53.8 mpg on a 32 mile expressway trip. Speed limit was 55mph & I was doing about that most of the way. When the mileage starting creeping up I made sure to keep the speed under control.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag

Let that man live!!!

Thereā€™s this one freeway that I go on periodically, I always top off the tank when Iā€™m going that way, Iā€™ll be like 30+ miles on the freeway, and Iā€™ll be averaging 50+ for a good while. Feels good!

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
For me the best part of the story was getting all the green lights. Thereā€™s a section of road where I live that I travel all the time, in 24 years Iā€™ve caught all green lights on the whole section three times. The last time was last year in my Civic, after that I was in a good mood for a few days! ?

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
That's insane lol, I bought a used car recently, you guys reckon I should do some additive bottle to clean my injectors? I'm pretty sure previous guy put 87 oct. Best mileage I've ever gotten was about 39-42mpg, 58 is insane lol.

ShanMan14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If I get the lights timed right, I can get 50 MPG on my daily commute.

Honda Civic 10th gen Yep that happened Capture.JPG

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fill up to full then measure how many miles you have driven. Then upon next fill up look at how much gas went in. While not perfect I think it's more accurate than the dash or the infotainment mpg.

If you actually observe the two (dash and infotainment guage) they dont read the same which leads me to believe that perhaps they calculate differently?