Yellow fog lights?

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Why do people make their fog lights yellow? Just for flare or do they actually function better in fog and rain?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag

HexSosa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have heard that the contrast and different color light cuts through bad weather conditions better(Rain, Fog, Snow) than your traditional white light. I myself am considering changing the stock halogen bulbs on my 18 Touring sedan to golden yellow LED's for increased power and yellow color. This would make it a more intense yellow but this is strictly my preference. I have already ordered Lamin-x film for the fog lights in a yellow tone as well to further increase the yellow look when illuminated and also to have the yellow tone when not powered on. So I guess to answer your question it's mostly style and personal preference with marginal visibility benefits at best.

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For the looks , fog lights are useless.

IMG_20180322_205911.jpg
I'll agree it looks great. However I've driven in some really nasty fog and extreme rain and foglights helped keep the shoulder and lines visible better then low beams alone.

Edit. What bulbs for your fogs? They're nice

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
It's for looks but it also serves a purpose. Yellow penetrates fogs and doesn't glare as much as whiter light does. Many cars, including Lexus, actually came with yellow fog lights years ago. I have a soft spot for my IS300 that had it, so I will be doing the same on my Si. Have the Nokya 2500k high beam bulbs going in too, to give it a hint of yellow there too when off, and will help tremendous at night and bad weather.

SlownSteady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Why do people make their fog lights yellow? Just for flare or do they actually function better in fog and rain?
In my opinion, it's a visual preference and it serves a purpose. I've driven in heavy rain and at night for long periods and the yellow fogs (2500k) really did help penetrate through bad weather (only fog lights were visible down the road in heavy rain/fog). It's less strain on your eyes too when you drive for more than an hour at night. There's a reason why some truck drivers and most endurance race cars fit yellow headlights on their rigs.

Jeaholland

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Top is with new LED headlights and fogs.

Bottom is with just LED fogs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Yellow fog lights? 60236251_619950485186670_4735561585437704192_n

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got Lamin-X yellow film on the fogs at the moment but I may pull the trigger on these LEDs and plug those into the fogs. Thanks.

TopWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic , 2019 Ridgeline
Country flag
I've got Lamin-X yellow film on the fogs at the moment but I may pull the trigger on these LEDs and plug those into the fogs. Thanks.
I tried multiple LED Yellow bulbs and honestly the factory halogens were brighter. Thought about the Lamin-X, but $10 each...
Then a neighbor showed me his solution. Yellow Stain Glass (acrylic) Paint, (on his Harley). $3.00 for a small bottle was/is more than enough to paint the light bars and fog lights.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried multiple LED Yellow bulbs and honestly the factory halogens were brighter. Thought about the Lamin-X, but $10 each...
Then a neighbor showed me his solution. Yellow Stain Glass (acrylic) Paint, (on his Harley). $3.00 for a small bottle was/is more than enough to paint the light bars and fog lights.
Could you post a pic? This could be a good long-term solution.

TopWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic , 2019 Ridgeline
Country flag
Could you post a pic? This could be a good long-term solution.
Here is a photo of my Ridgeline with Yellow Stain Glass painted Fog Lights and my light bars. (purchased at local hobby model store, do buy the small $1.00 model brushes) I blue taped 32 inch light bar for a clean line on the outer parts of the light bar because I prefer the contrast. My GF hasn't asked me to paint her 2018 Civic's fog lights, yet.

Honda Civic 10th gen Yellow fog lights? 32 Inch LightBar.JPG

HexSosa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ihave the yellow lamin-x and the same LEd's in the previous post and they look and work great, I would definitely do it for yourself.
Sponsored