Yoroen

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 prius, 2017 civic hatch
Country flag
Strange both you and the Xgen car were on Hondata. I think Derek said that he saw one fail on Ktuner too.
I mean, 27won ran hondata as well. and im pretty sure there a few others running more boost with flashpro then me. i chose to use the +3 basemap because it is my daily. but so far ive only seen 1 other blown turbo.
unless you found others with issues with the turbo? I did take it to a professional for installation as well and the car ran beautifully.
Sponsored

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait did anyone with a blown turbo drive it on a “stock turbo base map”. Or are these basemaps specifically for the w1 turbo. I THINK the guy with the silver si, Franco I (l157allturbo) blew his w1 turbo but he was pushing it way past what’s recommended. Over 30psi 400whp on E37 and Meth. Not sure on the details but I think he mentioned it on his insta. Also got him an 11.5 run before it blew tho :respect:

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was advised i can use the hondata basemaps. and normal everyday driving, it drove fine, fuel trims and afr were spot on.
But was it a “27won turbo basemap” or a “stock turbo basemap” I know Ktuner has options for both I’m pretty sure hondata does too, but not 100% sure.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But was it a “27won turbo basemap” or a “stock turbo basemap” I know Ktuner has options for both I’m pretty sure hondata does too, but not 100% sure.
You need to run the basemaps designed only for the W1 turbo. It is not advisable whether it's Ktuner or hondata to run a normal basemap for long period. Even the basemap for the W1 period is a short term thing as it should be custom tuned anyways.

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Let me answer some of your question here:
Chris notified us of the issue he was experiencing, we went through some diagnostic troubleshooting with Chris over the phone then proceeded to have him remove the turbo inlet pipe and the downpipe for further inspection. With that the fractured turbine wheel was found and we opted to get the turbo back for a full inspection so we could better understand that potential cause of failure. As part of the inspection we also reviewed the ECU calibration that was on the vehicle.

The turbine housing and wheel shows signs of excessive heat seen with discoloration of the housing and the white "coating" within the housing and on the turbine wheel.
The ECU calibration had a target AFR of ~12.8 for Emix. The use of Anti-lag cannot be confirmed.
The findings from the turbo inspection and the findings in the ECU calibration correlate with the probable cause of failure due to excessive heat.

After inspection was complete we advised Chris on our concerns about the lean target AFR for WOT and the issues the lean AFR and anti-lag can have on a turbocharged vehicle. With that we replaced the turbocharger under warranty because ultimately we want our customers to be taken care of.

Despite the cause of failure, this gives us a chance to learn and make improvements in the future where possible.
But it's the same turbo on the website I didn't see anything improved on it

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need to run the basemaps designed only for the W1 turbo. It is not advisable whether it's Ktuner or hondata to run a normal basemap for long period. Even the basemap for the W1 period is a short term thing as it should be custom tuned anyways.
Yea I know, exactly why I asked him the question

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
"cause of failure due to excessive heat"

If this genius destroyed his turbo because of excessive use of Anti-lag then kudos to 27won for still taking care of its customers.
Except he didn't destroyed it because of excessive anti-lag

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yo also mentioned an “instant jump in boost compared to stock”. W1 def shouldn’t be spooling faster than stock, unless maybe they went from no tune to W1+tune

Muscleman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rigby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Regardless if you have catted or non catted downpipe that shouldn't happened. Especially for a turbo that cost 1600$ double the price of a oem, to me it seems the exhaust turbine isn't all that great compared to oem. The OEM turbine has more reinforcement compared to the w1 I'm not trying to bash the company but for 1600$ it should hold up all the abuse you throw at it. Maybe you just got a defective turbo who knows, I wonder how many people who has this turbo had or have any issues like you and xgen
Exactly I beat the shit off the red light daily and my stock turbo is still holding up...I'm going with prl turbo too

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Except he didn't destroyed it because of excessive anti-lag
Then tell everyone why it failed ?

seems you know more than anyone here. I’m sure the community would like to be enlightened.

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But it's the same turbo on the website I didn't see anything improved on it
You do know anti lag destroys turbos sooner rather than later. Chris did use anti lag as well as rolling anti lag cuz of his hondata. It’s in his video’s lol

Yoroen

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used the stock turbo basemap. After looking at how the car ran, it seemed to run fine. i did monitor only the fuel trims, afr, map pressure, knock count and a few other readings to make sure nothing was going on. and everything was pretty much on target so i just stayed with the basemap. I meant instant jump in boost as in i could just feel the massive difference between the w1 and stock.

Yoroen

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used the stock turbo basemap. After looking at how the car ran, it seemed to run fine. i did monitor only the fuel trims, afr, map pressure, knock count and a few other readings to make sure nothing was going on. and everything was pretty much on target so i just stayed with the basemap. I meant instant jump in boost as in i could just feel the massive difference between the w1 and stock.
Also, i think hondata only has basemaps for the w1 for the si. im in an LX :(:(:(

XGENSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 MT, 2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I’ve really enjoyed the information in this thread.

All parts are bound to fail when pushed by enthusiasts, plus the production process for casted products can produce weak-points from time to time. It’s nice to see this level of customer service from 27Won, this is how you gain and keep customers!

More business is coming to 27Won when I receive my Si Coupe from Honda in June!

Ciao
Sponsored