Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Carlson,

Any issues installing the H11's in your Civic? Any photos under the hood? Looks like a no-brainier upgrade for $50.
No issues with it...I went with the 35 watt bulbs vs stock 55 watt...here is a view of the ballasts in the engine bay
On the passenger side, its near the windshield washer fluid fill up...drivers side, its near the fuse box, seemed like a decent place for them

Honda Civic 10th gen Xenon Depot Volt HIDs 20160809_193310

Honda Civic 10th gen Xenon Depot Volt HIDs 20160809_193326

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please install relays with HIDs...

Just because it works without one doesn't mean a relay isn't necessary.
Yeah, I will add relays, you need one for each side right? The good thing about the kit is its so easy to put the old in, I can swap back to stock until I do get the relays on....when I wired my fog lights on my old Accord, it just had one relay

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I will add relays, you need one for each side right? The good thing about the kit is its so easy to put the old in, I can swap back to stock until I do get the relays on....when I wired my fog lights on my old Accord, it just had one relay
One relay is fine for powering both sides.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay, I was checking this one out, I know I could make my own, but figured if this worked and for low cost, maybe others would jump on board too

https://www.amazon.com/Relay-Harness-Xenon-HID-Conversion/dp/B00554PR6I/

I am only using 35 watt bulbs, I won't be upgrading those to any higher, so I think this should work out, you think so?
That will work perfectly. You can run 35w or 55w ballast with no concern. The draw isn't much different.

The reason you need a relay is because a normal halogen bulb will draw 8-10 amps. HID draw less once they get running, but when you flip them on there is a very high in-rush of amps. 15-20+ amps sometimes. Your factory wiring is spec'd to handle the amperage of halogen with an acceptable tolerance zone. Companies aren't going to pay for more expensive wiring than is needed. Your HID will turn on and work fine, but you're going to be heating the wiring up every time you turn your lights on and eventually the insulation is going to give out. This is why we use relays.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That will work perfectly. You can run 35w or 55w ballast with no concern. The draw isn't much different.

The reason you need a relay is because a normal halogen bulb will draw 8-10 amps. HID draw less once they get running, but when you flip them on there is a very high in-rush of amps. 15-20+ amps sometimes. Your factory wiring is spec'd to handle the amperage of halogen with an acceptable tolerance zone. Companies aren't going to pay for more expensive wiring than is needed. Your HID will turn on and work fine, but you're going to be heating the wiring up every time you turn your lights on and eventually the insulation is going to give out. This is why we use relays.
Good description! Worth the cost to add in to avoid problems in the future

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I got XD's 4300K Extreme HID kit that already comes with a relay and grounds built into the harness. Well worth it imo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Xenon Depot Volt HIDs ima

Honda Civic 10th gen Xenon Depot Volt HIDs ima

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got XD's 4300K Extreme HID kit that already comes with a relay and grounds built into the harness. Well worth it imo.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Nice. You happy with the color and what wattage are the bulbs?

stak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
According to Xenon Depot's website the inrush amp draw on the Volt Kit is less than 6 amps.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
The Philip's 4300K bulbs throw the light a little further than the 6000K's, which is why I bought them, but they are more yellow than the LED DRL's. So, if you want that upscale look, the 6000K's are more appropriate.

And I do get flashed occasionally because they are so bright. Even turning on the high beams really doesn't outshine them. I live in the middle of nowhere though, so my headlights are my only light source on the road, and I need to watch out for deer. I have been in two collisions with deer, and I'm not too keen on getting in a third!

Nice. You happy with the color and what wattage are the bulbs?

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Link to your kit?

The Philip's 4300K bulbs throw the light a little further than the 6000K's, which is why I bought them, but they are more yellow than the LED DRL's. So, if you want that upscale look, the 6000K's are more appropriate.

And I do get flashed occasionally because they are so bright. Even turning on the high beams really doesn't outshine them. I live in the middle of nowhere though, so my headlights are my only light source on the road, and I need to watch out for deer. I have been in two collisions with deer, and I'm not too keen on getting in a third!