Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
  • Banned
hello all,

been lurking on this site for a while because I was doing some research on the CIvic SI. I'm now an owner of a 2017 Civic SI and I am wondering what I should do to my car. I am stationed in California for a while and I do not know any of the laws very well (originally from Hawaii). I am more focused on performance and want to be able to make my car faster and louder before I decide to upgrade on aesthetics. Also, I wasn't aware of smog checks until now. Does anyone in Cali have any experience of their car passing smog with mods or do you guys have to revert back to stock?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Get a KTuner from TSP and you can get their Stage 1 tune free. For sound and performance, the PRL Cobra CAI is a nice choice to use with that tune.

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a KTuner from TSP and you can get their Stage 1 tune free. For sound and performance, the PRL Cobra CAI is a nice choice to use with that tune.
+1. Just got my Ktuner v2 from them and the included TSP Stage 1 is nice.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
hello all,

been lurking on this site for a while because I was doing some research on the CIvic SI. I'm now an owner of a 2017 Civic SI and I am wondering what I should do to my car. I am stationed in California for a while and I do not know any of the laws very well (originally from Hawaii). I am more focused on performance and want to be able to make my car faster and louder before I decide to upgrade on aesthetics. Also, I wasn't aware of smog checks until now. Does anyone in Cali have any experience of their car passing smog with mods or do you guys have to revert back to stock?
Depends what mods you do and if they're CARB approved. If the part in question is CARB legal then you don't have to revert to stock. Hondata has a CARB legal tuner, if you go with the non-CARB version or Ktuner then you'll just have to flash back to stock before SMOG (Very easy to do BTW and Ktuner + TSP Stage 1 tune is a pretty good deal). Since your car is so new you won't have to worry about SMOG for a while.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
hello all,

So you said for a while. Do you think you'll move again? I wouldn't waste my time with an Si. Buy yourself a Type R if you want to drop a ton of cash. My advice is save your money for a house. I met a lot of military folks that dump money into their cars. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
  • Banned
So you said for a while. Do you think you'll move again? I wouldn't waste my time with an Si. Buy yourself a Type R if you want to drop a ton of cash. My advice is save your money for a house. I met a lot of military folks that dump money into their cars. Best of luck to you.
thank you for the advice. Yeah that's true about most military but i did not join right after high school like most. I was lucky to have money saved throughout my adulthood and I was fortunate to receive a bonus. In which, I was able to place money down on an SI. I've been able to put 40% back into my savings account every payday and been working extra to pay this car faster and get mods at the same time. I could move again, but the military is able to cover that unless I go overseas and i'd send that SI to my home of record or sell it. Unless, I plan on doing 20 years in the military, I don't think that car is going to go anywhere for now.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
you won't need a smog check for a really long time (many many years- 5-10?)
keep everything you take off and save.
ditto on a house if you can. in HI. not berdo
Sponsored