John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This question just came to mind:

How many of you (that have wrapped your car a color completely different than the factory color) get pulled over because the color your car is wrapped doesn't match the color the DMV has listed for your car?

I have nothing against people wrapping their car a different color ... I'm just honestly curious about how frequently it happens ... or if it happens at all.

If you reply, thanks for helping satisfy my curiousity.
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
This question just came to mind:

How many of you (that have wrapped your car a color completely different than the factory color) get pulled over because the color your car is wrapped doesn't match the color the DMV has listed for your car?

I have nothing against people wrapping their car a different color ... I'm just honestly curious about how frequently it happens ... or if it happens at all.

If you reply, thanks for helping satisfy my curiousity.
Highly doubt someone’s getting pulled over because the color of the car doesn’t match the color description on dmv records. That would be a huge waste of taxpayer money

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Some wraps will get you pulled over by a cop if you're driving down the road with it.

For example, this type of wrap reduces visibility by a lot:

Honda Civic 10th gen Wrapped Cars and Law Enforcement Screenshot_20201027-202059

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
I'm not a lawyer, but law enforcement is not "supposed" to run your plates if you're not doing anything wrong.. and to pull you over after checking your car, against the plates, and going even further to check the DMV, and go out of the way to pull you over doesn't sound that plausible...

If they give you any flak, maybe open up your door and show them your door jams... but still, annoying to be pulled over...

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
My father drove my car a long time ago, and it was when I had my license suspended for about 3 months. When they pulled him over, they specifically mentioned that my license was suspended.

They went after him and pulled him over after pulling my plate randomly. He did not get a ticket. They saw the suspended license after randomly pulling the plate and wanted to catch me driving.

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would LOVE to have my plates run for no reason and then pulled over. I won't ever have to work again after that lawsuit. Reminds me of that video of the morons that pulled over the state attorney general of Florida, said they ran her plates for no reason and then suddenly had to start back peddling when they found out who she was. Great video. Should look it up. Highly entertaining to watch/hear him squirm.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
They've never mentioned it the couple times I've been pulled over for other reasons. My guess is, if the make and model are correct, they aren't worried about the color.

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some wraps will get you pulled over by a cop if you're driving down the road with it.

For example, this type of wrap reduces visibility by a lot:

Screenshot_20201027-202059.png
Looks like someone tried to decorate for Halloween ... with the wrong material.

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not a lawyer, but law enforcement is not "supposed" to run your plates if you're not doing anything wrong.. and to pull you over after checking your car, against the plates, and going even further to check the DMV, and go out of the way to pull you over doesn't sound that plausible...

If they give you any flak, maybe open up your door and show them your door jams... but still, annoying to be pulled over...
I understand that ...

I guess my question was more along this hypothetical line of thinking: Once pulled over (for a legally reasonable offense, like speeding) ... they run the tag, and the car color that the DMV calls for didn't match what they see.

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would LOVE to have my plates run for no reason and then pulled over. I won't ever have to work again after that lawsuit. Reminds me of that video of the morons that pulled over the state attorney general of Florida, said they ran her plates for no reason and then suddenly had to start back peddling when they found out who she was. Great video. Should look it up. Highly entertaining to watch/hear him squirm.
I've seen the video ... and I live in "Flori-duh".
I remember the video, and how the officers started to back pedal their statements.

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They've never mentioned it the couple times I've been pulled over for other reasons. My guess is, if the make and model are correct, they aren't worried about the color.
Thank you.

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag

Respectfully, this is incorrect. Legal precedent is clear that probable cause is not required for LEO to run your tag. Tags are frequently ran in traffic without an observed violation. Some police cars even have Automatic license readers and run every tag visible in traffic.

That being said, in my state (Florida) I can’t stop you for a color mismatch contrary to the registration because Florida doesn’t make it easy to update your registration after a color change.
Sponsored

Last edited: