Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Just wondering if wrapping the oem downpipe and exhaust will help with overheating at the track.

Will it overheat the catalytic converter?

This question is directed to oem only because I do not wish to go aftermarket.
Sponsored

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
By all accounts, you'll probably cook the catalyst.

IMO, Wrap the frontpipe (Especially under the oil pan), grab a turbo blanket and leave the Catalyst alone.

I have cerakoted the upper heatshield to reduce heat transfer, If you demounted the other heatshields and had them all coated you could probably net a slight improvement whilst still allowing the catalyst to get plenty of airflow, as you'd cut out the vast majority of radiant heat.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
My opinion on wrapping - nobody ever 're-does' the wrapping later on, so that stuff starts out great, then gets wet, soggy, corrodes, and leaves behind a ton of surface rust on the pipes you were trying to 'protect'. If you're really going to go that route then just get it ceramic coated and be done with it since that will last and not be a mess later. Wrapping I feel is for cars that get torn down a lot or for OCD people that like to re-do wraps every other year.

I'm not one of those people.

I did the whole wrap thing for my downpipe on my 08 STi and I spent time on it- careful tight wrapping - sprayed afterwards - didn't make a bit of difference long term. When I went to takeit off this 'kevlar strand made from volcano gods nutsack' wrap broke apart easily in my hands after tens of thousands of miles and my downpipe looked like hammered shit when I went to sell it. Still worked but looked like it came out the wrong end of a taco bell night of regret.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I've looked into the use of a plasma-sprayed thermal barrier coating on metal pipes and the science says it works.

OP
OP

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Thanks for all the input. I will wrap the pipe under the oil pan and leave it as that.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I have seen harder shields that attach around the converter but are open at the bottom i.e, allowing some heat to escape down but block some of the heat going up to the oil pan. Unfortunately can't remember the company name or if their product can be used on a CTR.

Personally, I would have concerns about wrapping the downpipe and with the front pipe travelling immediately under the oil pan, I would think this is a great place to start.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
This is what I was looking for. Clamp On Heat Shield Up to 2000 Degree F Thermo Tec Thermo Tec
but I am not sure if it would fit around the lower cat. The clamps don't look up to the job but it would direct more heat under the car and be unlikely to damage the cat. Also won't be a problem if it gets wet.

For the 4" kit, it says the inside diameter is 6 inches.
Sponsored