Wow, the hood sheet metal is so thin.

OP
OP

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
I wonder if this is related to the "energy absorbing hood" safety feature they mention about pedestrian safety.
Sponsored

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
The hood is designed to crush in the event of a pedestrian collision. I forget where I saw it but it explained how the new civics hood is designed to crush downward to reduce injury. You can thank the safety brigade for this.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
You can thank the safety brigade for this.
It's also the biggest Civic they've ever built and gets the best gas mileage. Probably also the safest for its occupants--the crash test performance was very good. All of this factors in to how they design the body structure and what their weight targets had to be.

Rvenger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX CBP
Yeah, if someone ever taps this car ever so slightly with their car door, it leaves a ding. 2015 Chrysler 200 sheet metal was a tank compared to this. :\ Too bad I hated everything else about it.

buggzy

2017 civic hatchback sport with cvt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic ex-l and 2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
heres a dashcam video of when i totalled my 2013 ex-l in feb 2016. was doing exactly 47 km/h when i hit. the car was totalled, hence why i now drive a touring :) and other driver was ruled 100% responsible of the accident...... it happends in a blink of an eye, litteraly.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
heres a dashcam video of when i totalled my 2013 ex-l in feb 2016. was doing exactly 47 km/h when i hit. the car was totalled, hence why i now drive a touring :) and other driver was ruled 100% responsible of the accident...... it happends in a blink of an eye, litteraly.

That's why people shouldn't be "nice" and stop to yield the right of way. Glad you're okay though...at least ya got an upgrade ;)

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Good reason to have a dash cam. Shows you have the right of way and your light was green. I've only driven once in the snow, and this would be a reason why I'd hate to drive in that weather.

No snow in my neck of the woods... just horrendous rain pours :)

enufced904

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
My area just got hit with a small hail storm and I can attest to the durability of the car. The storm only lasted a few minutes but I have at least 40 dings. My previous xB went through several hail storms with the only damage being a cracked windshield. I am pretty bummed about this since I don't have a covered area to park my car at home or work.

OP
OP

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
My area just got hit with a small hail storm and I can attest to the durability of the car. The storm only lasted a few minutes but I have at least 40 dings. My previous xB went through several hail storms with the only damage being a cracked windshield. I am pretty bummed about this since I don't have a covered area to park my car at home or work.
That sucks :( Is there a way you could post images of the damage?

I'm wondering vinyl wrap or something could have helped reduce the damage? Doubtful.
I'm looking to see if there is any sort of carbon fiber wrap or something that might strengthen.

What size was the hail?

amputechture

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX

Holy shit. That's terrifying.

miles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I just purchased a 2016 Civic about 3 months ago. My husband always hand wash it. He recently notice that the roof has a large dent. Looks like some one sat on top of it. I have read a lot of post in this forum and it is pretty clear that the sheet metal is very thin. But my question is has any one had one as large as mine and have any one tried to remove the dents using any of the do it yourself methods?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I had a tornado touch down about a half mile away from me this afternoon (tornadoes aren't common on the east coast) and we had the threat of hail. I didn't measure the hail (1" in diameter or so) but checked the car afterwards and breathed a sigh of relief that I had no damage. I was truly expecting some.

A county or two away in VA was not so lucky and was hit with 4" (!!!) diameter hail. I can only imagine the damage.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wow, the hood sheet metal is so thin. 13zsbbm

EADGBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXL Hatch
So, I had a tornado touch down about a half mile away from me this afternoon (tornadoes aren't common on the east coast) and we had the threat of hail. I didn't measure the hail (1" in diameter or so) but checked the car afterwards and breathed a sigh of relief that I had no damage. I was truly expecting some.

A county or two away in VA was not so lucky and was hit with 4" (!!!) diameter hail. I can only imagine the damage.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wow, the hood sheet metal is so thin. 13zsbbm
If I saw that thing coming at me I'd be more concerned with the "damage" to my driver's seat, if you know what I'm sayin'. :eek:

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thin hood metal is by no means a new thing. I had a 1979 mustang that I think had a thinner hood that this car.
Sponsored