Wow, the hood sheet metal is so thin.

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
While giving my car her first real wash, every time I washed over the hood, there were some spots that would buckle somewhat.

I wasn't washing hard and continuously even try to reduce the pressure I washed with (by hand).

The hood is too thin imo.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While giving my car her first real wash, every time I washed over the hood, there were some spots that would buckle somewhat.

I wasn't washing hard and continuously even try to reduce the pressure I washed with (by hand).

The hood is too thin imo.
Have you popped the hood yet? It's so flaccid, watch it flop all over the place.

Welcome to the world of weight savings.

axios77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Firt time I opened my trunk, I noticed how light it was. Like, is it made of aluminum because this is really light compared to the trunk of the FRS.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the same way, even on the roof actually - at least compared to my 06 Civic.

When I would wax/wipe the hood and roof (with a step stool), sometimes it would push in and I get nervous about it. I thought it was just me.

OP
OP

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel the same way, even on the roof actually - at least compared to my 06 Civic.

When I would wax/wipe the hood and roof (with a step stool), sometimes it would push in and I get nervous about it. I thought it was just me.
Exactly. I don't think I would ever power wash it, I'd be extremely nervous.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Firt time I opened my trunk, I noticed how light it was. Like, is it made of aluminum because this is really light compared to the trunk of the FRS.
I think the only part that is aluminum is the hood on Tourings, but don't quote me on that.

Doors are extremely light too. Took a ride in a co-worker's new Charger to go to lunch today and its like 3x heavier lol.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I remember brushing snow off the roof and seeing the sheet metal flexing. Nothing like my neighbour's old 1951 Ford 1 ton truck. He would grind the rust off that thing for hours every spring and re-paint it with a roller. He passed away ten years ago and I bet the sheet metal is still 1/16" thick.

turtle jr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
While opening the truck, I bumped my knee on the back bumper and felt it flex like a lot. This really surprised me, because I owned a 2000 VW Jetta prior to this car and it was nowhere as flimsy feeling as the civic. As others have mentioned this is clearly a trade-off to reduce weight. That being said, I do feel safer driving the civic than my old car. In the event of an accident I could see the car getting totaled, but at least my face wouldn't miss the airbag!

Crash Test
2016 honda civic
2015 Jetta

Going to go knock on wood now. Feels weird talking about this lol.

OP
OP

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That being said, I do feel safer driving the civic than my old car. In the event of an accident I could see the car getting totaled, but at least my face wouldn't miss the airbag!.
Yeah, but look at the way the Civic's trunk pops open. All my eggs and beer would be thrown all over the road. The horrors.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I'm not so sure the Civic's hood metal is flimsy, well no more than any other car as much as it is that the factory didn't gob adhesive at strategic points along the skeleton frame like every other car.

I too noticed the flexing while washing and while I'm disappointed in the oversight, I know I can remove the insulating panel and shoot adhesive at different points to take up the slack but yeah, this should have been done at the factory. IMO, this is a lack of quality control and I can only conjecture why.

If indeed this is systemic along with the possibility of flexing of the C-pillar due to normal use, a critical engineering oversight and possible liability in a rear-end collision, then this model is not ready for prime time and I would be ready to accept a finance cancellation just like VW is about to do.

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just tested that with a magnet. Not aluminum.
Hmm...thought I had saw that in the press kit. Just checked again, and its not there, you're right.

Even less of an excuse to be that flimsy now.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The styling of the panel--not much curvature, no creases--makes this effect more obvious as well. But, yeah, I noticed this when polishing/waxing it the other day.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Hmm...thought I had saw that in the press kit.
I looked there first. Then, wondering if I'd read it somewhere else, thought I'd just cut to the chase and test it.
Sponsored