Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know a lot of us bemoan all the electronics on these new cars but sometimes it just works. I got into my car after work and got some beeps and a warning that my key fob battery was low.

It's great that it does that. Much better than going out to the car in the morning and realizing your fob doesn't work.

As far as the battery change, it honestly took me 10 seconds. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know a lot of us bemoan all the electronics on these new cars but sometimes it just works. I got into my car after work and got some beeps and a warning that my key fob battery was low.

It's great that it does that. Much better than going out to the car in the morning and realizing your fob doesn't work.

Work?? What's that? Lol seriously, I never understood those guys who get the dealer to change the fob battery.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Since OP couldn't be bothered to include useful info the steps are:

1. Remove Valet Key
2. Slide Tip of Valet Key between the 2 plastic protrusions that are between the silver Valet Key Catch and the slot the Valet key physically slides into
3. Use Valet key to pry apart the 2 sides of the housing
4. Remove existing CR2032 battery
5. Install New CR2032 battery
6. Snap 2 halves of keyfob back together
7. Slide Valet Key back into keyfob.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since OP couldn't be bothered to include useful info...
I know you're new here and I was going to let that slide but...

It wasn't a question of laziness as far as my excluding the steps. I didn't post it as a DIY, simply because the steps have been posted here and in videos many times. I was just happy with how easy and smooth things went.

Feel free to check out my profile. I have quite a few thanks and followers because I'm all about helping other members.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

1. Remove Valet Key
2. Slide Tip of Valet Key between the 2 plastic protrusions that are between the silver Valet Key Catch and the slot the Valet key physically slides into
Please check the sarcasm ...
This is the most helpful forum I've ever been a member of ... these folks will walk you thru (or guide you to) just about ANY question you could fathom.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Work?? What's that? Lol seriously, I never understood those guys who get the dealer to change the fob battery.
Believe it or not there’s some people that don’t know how to change wiper blades either I saw a auto zone employee changing wiper blades on a car and the owner was a young guy watching and scratching his head. If it was a elderly woman or man yes which in Florida there’s many. But a young guy o_O

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i mean ....
i've seen people getting license plates installed at the dealer once they receive them ...
And what about those people paying $80 at the dealer for a cabin filter replacement. It's a $15 part and 90 second install.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Generally, as a matter of principle, I recommend to everyone to seek professional help, and in particular medical attention when in doubt and otherwise as often as possible. :thumbsup:

1. Remove Valet Key
Hmmm....My manual doesn't say to use the key to pry apart the parts but a coin . Are you sure these are legitimate instructions? And you forgot to say it should be done carefully to avoid loosing he buttons. And to wrap it in a cloth to prevent scratching. :bump: (for the remote with the key sticking out, Honda says use a small flat-tip screwdriver instead of a coin. But still it should be wrapped in a cloth.)

Btw. the manual also says swallowing the battery can lead to death. "If you suspect a child has swallowed the battery, seek medical attention immediately."

"1. Remove the built-in key.
2. Remove the upper half of the cover by
carefully prying on the edge with a coin.
> Remove carefully to avoid losing the
buttons.
> Wrap a coin with a cloth to prevent
scratching the smart entry remote.
3. Make sure to replace the battery with the
correct polarity."

Now for replacement of the "cabin filter," correctly described as "Dust and Pollen Filter," Honda advises to seek professional help.
Also, allowing a child to swallow your used Dust and Pollen Filter can lead to jail time and heavy fines.

"Dust and Pollen Filter
If the airflow from the climate control system
deteriorates noticeably, and the windows fog up
easily, the filter may need to be replaced. Please
contact a dealer for replacement."

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since others have chimed in with their battery replacement steps here's my 90 second DIY:

1. Remove key
2. Pry two halves apart with thumbs
3. Remove old battery; insert new battery
4. Snap halves back together; re-insert key

5. (optional) Have a good laugh realizing many people actually pay a dealer for this. :cool:

Last edited:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag

It wasn't a question of laziness as far as my excluding the steps. I didn't post it as a DIY, simply because the steps have been posted here and in videos many times. I was just happy with how easy and smooth things went.

Feel free to check out my profile. I have quite a few thanks and followers because I'm all about helping other members.
He's a troll, ignore him

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Believe it or not there’s some people that don’t know how to change wiper blades either I saw a auto zone employee changing wiper blades on a car and the owner was a young guy watching and scratching his head. If it was a elderly woman or man yes which in Florida there’s many. But a young guy o_O
I have an uncle, who doesn't know how to do anything in his car, can't pair his phone, can't search for songs on his USB drive, which I also had to load for him, doesn't know how to scroll through the menus to check his oil life etc.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I get so ticked and feel like if you can't do any of this easy stuff, v you shouldn't own a car. And yes, I've showed him a million times how to do this stuff.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag

just saying as someone new here who never really thought about how to replace the key fob battery your post got me thinking about it, but then I had to go elsewhere to figure out the process which just isn't very productive, your post was what honestly on most forums would be refereed to as a sh*t post, so since your post made me have to go figure this out I felt like giving the instructions so others wouldn't need to go elsewhere even if the info exists elsewhere.

I have an uncle, who doesn't know how to do anything in his car, can't pair his phone, can't search for songs on his USB drive, which I also had to load for him, doesn't know how to scroll through the menus to check his oil life etc.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I get so ticked and feel like if you can't do any of this easy stuff, v you shouldn't own a car. And yes, I've showed him a million times how to do this stuff.
To be fair thats all that "newfangled technology" that much of the older generation has trouble with, now if he couldn't remember how to engage/disengage the parking brake or put it in gear or change the oil and filter that would be a different story.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I took the OP title of the post to be in reference to the car alerting them to the low key fob battery ... and how well it had worked.
In comparison, most of us have experienced in our past (pre gen 10 civic) key fobs that don't give a warning that they are about to poop out.
The reference to the ease of changing the battery, seems to almost be an after thought.
Sponsored