WOW Mazda is bringing back the Mazdaspeed 3???

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Automatic only...

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Automatic only...
Let's be honest....Manual is starting to become Niche. My Fiance would love this car. Mazda is known to make BEASTs of cars to drive. My MAzdaspeed 6 feels more solid than my Type R at times. Ofcourse the Type R is better all around..

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I shopped a 3 before I got my si. Nice gearbox. Tight interior. Fun in corners. Dreadful straight line pickup

Not pairing that turbo with such a nice gearbox is sad and a missed opportunity

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
When I was getting a new car the new Mazda3 hatchback was top in the running with the Civic Sport hatch. After checking out the new Mazda3 I was really disappointed by that the rear had even less space than the previous gen, which was already tight. I also found it way slower than the previous gen which was odd considering it was the same power train. The lack of multi-link rear also gave it considerably worse cornering. The drop the torsion beam rear had on speed bumps was honestly jarring. I ended up getting the Civic instead. This hurt me inside because Iā€™ve always loved Mazda. Iā€™ve had 3 of them in the past.

I think the power and styling of the the Turbo3 are awesome. Iā€™m so interested in this, even this the space drawbacks, but Iā€™m seriously wondering how the chassis will hold up to all them twerks. Iā€™m having a tough time visualizing that car I drove sending that power, but that was FWD as opposed to AWD. I really want to see the full reveal and test drive this thing.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Theyā€™re supposed to have a FWD-only available with a manual w/the 250/320 hp/tq engine from what I read a bit ago. Wouldnā€™t be a MazdaSpeed car I guess but should be a good competitor. Iā€™ll likely check one out just to see what, if anything, Iā€™m missing by holding on to the Si. It hasnā€™t bored me yet. Not sure how theyā€™d dyno but I assume itā€™d be pretty similar to my TSP Stage 1 Si. With the 2.5 vs 1.5 L and a much larger factory turbo (this last bit is speculation) it may have CTR levels of headroom for making power for minimal $$$... not that it could compete w/one on a track, regardless of power.

Always liked Mazdaā€™s. Never owned one. Thatā€™ll change one of these days, Iā€™m sure. Always figured it be for an old MX5 though.

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I was gonna buy Mazda 3 hatchback, mazda
6 or CX-5. I know they all different classes. But I really like Mazda exterior and interior design. Then I found that Mazda has rust issues. I ended up with Sport Hatchback MT. I'm happy with it for now. I feel like i need more power tho. Next car may be Mazda or Type R!!

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Theyā€™re supposed to have a FWD-only available with a manual w/the 250/320 hp/tq engine from what I read a bit ago. Wouldnā€™t be a MazdaSpeed car I guess but should be a good competitor. Iā€™ll likely check one out just to see what, if anything, Iā€™m missing by holding on to the Si. It hasnā€™t bored me yet. Not sure how theyā€™d dyno but I assume itā€™d be pretty similar to my TSP Stage 1 Si. With the 2.5 vs 1.5 L and a much larger factory turbo (this last bit is speculation) it may have CTR levels of headroom for making power for minimal $$$... not that it could compete w/one on a track, regardless of power.

Always liked Mazdaā€™s. Never owned one. Thatā€™ll change one of these days, Iā€™m sure. Always figured it be for an old MX5 though.
Man, if you never had a Mazda Iā€™d suggest the last gen Mazda3 hatchback. I had a 2016 GT and it was a great car, honestly better than the 10th gen Civic IMO. I would have bought another but itā€™s just not big enough for my family. I couldnā€™t cram my growing son in the back anymore. They have a fair about of aftermarket support too. Theyā€™re one of the most underrated cars out there.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Imagine that 2.5t motor in the current MX5!
DAMN, what a GIANT KILLER that would be!!!!

I am picking up a '95 Miata this weekend (and getting diff welded) for general fun and drifting. For $1,000 it is by far the cheapest road legal go kart I can find. I had a '99 and I miss it badly!
My S2000 is amazing but just can't do what those little cars can.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, if you never had a Mazda Iā€™d suggest the last gen Mazda3 hatchback. I had a 2016 GT and it was a great car, honestly better than the 10th gen Civic IMO. I would have bought another but itā€™s just not big enough for my family. I couldnā€™t cram my growing son in the back anymore. They have a fair about of aftermarket support too. Theyā€™re one of the most underrated cars out there.
I cross shopped a ā€˜15 when I ended up getting my ā€˜15 Si I traded out for this one. I did like it... but the 2.0s seemed gutless... and they didnā€™t have a manual 2.5 around and the only Mazda dealer around that went to priced all their 3s *way* higher than what the last of the gen 9 Sis weā€™re going for at the time. It just wasnā€™t to be that time. There really was a lot to like. Iā€™ve always loved Mazda interiors aesthetically. Their placement of the infotainment screen became offputting to me... but overall it always looks top notch to me. Iā€™ve also never owned a GTI/GLI which Iā€™d like to fix one of these days. If I had my way Iā€™d have a couple more care but the boss vetos me at 4. I *might* get to overrule when the new Z comes out... but itā€™ll be a hard sell. ?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Imagine that 2.5t motor in the current MX5!
DAMN, what a GIANT KILLER that would be!!!!

I am picking up a '95 Miata this weekend (and getting diff welded) for general fun and drifting. For $1,000 it is by far the cheapest road legal go kart I can find. I had a '99 and I miss it badly!
My S2000 is amazing but just can't do what those little cars can.
Itā€™d be awesome. When I was stationed out in Washington state... there was a guy I served with that had one of the MazdaSpeed Miatas that I think they only made a couple model years. It was lightly modded and he really loved the thing. Pretty sure heā€™d bought it new... ugh... that was awhile ago now. I know thereā€™s a joy in having a well balanced car and as theyā€™ve gone through the years they have made it a good deal more powerful. Theyā€™ve been a little light on power for my taste in their early years... but these days theyā€™re in that ā€˜just rightā€™ range finally.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
#charleswrivers 100% agree

I am considering cutting the car up and going Exocar route but there is not much weight to be shed on them. They are not straight line exciting but as fun in the corners as my wife's '73 bug on gravel sweepers!
Hmmm... Maybe I can find a used Jackson Racing SC for cheap.

I put the Miatas in this rare category: CARS YOU PUT ON, NOT GET IN. :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
#charleswrivers 100% agree

I am considering cutting the car up and going Exocar route but there is not much weight to be shed on them. They are not straight line exciting but as fun in the corners as my wife's '73 bug on gravel sweepers!
Hmmm... Maybe I can find a used Jackson Racing SC for cheap.

I put the Miatas in this rare category: CARS YOU PUT ON, NOT GET IN. :)
Yep. Every time I see one of the early ones... it looked like a car you parked, got out of, then put in your pocket before walking into a store.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
320 torque with AWD are seriously impressive numbers. But this is a missed opportunity IMO, they could have easily bought back the MazdaSpeed name by just adding an LSD, revised suspension, a manual gearbox option and a few other go-fast bits and there you go, you have a car that will eat into the GTI's hot hatch market share and because of the AWD you'll also be taking some potential STI buyers too. Also, I have a feeling that these turbo 3's are going to be somewhere in the low 30K range easily (~33,000 is my estimate) because of their current pricing model. That's damn close to CTR territory and is just pretty expensive in general for a compact hatch even with a nice engine, would've been more appealing if it was a Mazdaspeed car instead for that kind of money. Only reason I can think of why they didn't revive the name is because they think they will get more buyers if its just an engine option rather than a niche hot hatch for a select market of buyers.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might be more hearsay but a YT vid I was watching the other day said the MazdaSpeed nameplate had some contention with the Japanese arm of the company as it was a Ford idea. That partnership being ended kind of puts a damper on that nameplate coming back. Not an expert on the history of Mazda so feel free to correct whatever I might have gotten wrong.

The GTI SE starts at 32k and the Autobahn at 36k. If they can price it around that might sway some GTI buyers away, even if the handling is lesser. Keep in mind the DSG GTI sells more than the manual (or at least feels that way from the dealer inventories) so that might not be a sore spot for Mazda. There's also the Corolla GR that's supposed to come, that would probably be a bigger competitor to the GTI as it's shaping up to be a well handling car- the whole idea comes from their Yaris GR rally car.
Sponsored