Would you trade up to a Type R even though you don't drive your Si spiritedly?

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Yes, no factoids to support, but track time between the two, taking Hp into account, leads me to think they're somewhat close in handling.
I know I do things I'm my si that I shouldn't, but the si asks for it. And may have saved me a couple times via traction control.
To be clear not my track times, I haven't taken or even been to a track, just times I've seen online.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing those track time comparisons.
Sponsored

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
I'd definitely be interested in seeing those track time comparisons.
There are no comparisons that I know of. Just r did it in x time and si did in y and thinking 100 hp could account for a s load of the difference.
You can add breaks to the equation too add more time to si .

Last edited:

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
There are no comparisons that I know of. Just r did it in x time and si did in y and thinking 100 hp could account for a s load of the difference.
You can add breaks to the equation too add more time to si .
The Type R is a special machine. I wouldn't want it as a daily driver though. I'd be up late at night crying if I scuffed a rim or something. If I could keep it as a Sunday car in a garage sure.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I daily my Type R, and I love it man it is a lot of fun. That being said my answer would be NO, if you don't really enjoy putting your foot in it, blasting down some twisty roads, and driving the heck out of your car the Type R is really not worth it. The novelty will wear off, it could just be me but when I first got it I did get a lot of looks, thumbs ups on the road, and just all around attention. I do still get quite a few "nice car" comments and people asking me about it, but not more than I did with my Si as well. The fake suede interior, lack of creature comforts, reduced fuel economy, and increased maintenance costs do not warrant the increase price for a more sensible owner. If you value the "I own a Type R" effect and put the car on a pedestal, then maybe it might be worth it and that is up to your own evaluation. The things that do make it worth it to me are for someone who really values the extra cargo space of a hatch, the styling, the extra power, the handling of the car stock, brakes, and 4 doors if you're coming from coupe.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i'm going to change my mind, i would upgrade, if there were only the most excellent deal on it. like invoice, that and my 401k back.

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
NO, I wouldn' t change for a CTR,
I don't like the body, the ostentatious spoiler, the 20'' wheels...
My dream would be to install the CTR powertrain, suspension,
brakes...in a SI coupe.
It is feasible, surely, but it would be very expensive.
You can always dream, even at 81 years old !

B3B31011

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Ive been think of trading or getting after i payoff mine is the Accord 2.0. I really dont like the looks of the Type R,

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn’t mainly because I’m not a fan of the looks at all. I also can’t justify paying close to $40k for a civic, no matter how fast it is. I’d get something much different for the price. But that’s just me, if you want a type r and can afford it, I say do it!

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the prudent question to ask is what is the main reason you want one? If you consider yourself a huge car guy, Honda guy, want something truly special, and can appreciate what it is, it's a no brainer. If you don't know much about/care about cars or do not have much of a passion for Hondas you would probably be better off sticking with the Si.

I drive mine slow enough to frustrate Prius drivers most of the time. To me it was absolutely worth the upgrade. I would do it again no question.

A few notes:
  • Don't let people who haven't driven both fool you- the Type R is a substantial leap up from the Si. The moment you get out of the Si and sit in the R you immediately notice how much more substantial it feels, how different it sounds, and how differently it drives even when going slowly. You will notice people driving around you differently too- people act like it's an exotic.

• You will get worse fuel economy but it's not terrible if you drive conservatively.

• You will get a lot of attention (people asking you about it at gas stations and in parking lots, people driving crazily through traffic just so they can get a good look at it) - whether you like the attention is up to you.

• The interior is significantly nicer than the Si's, I wouldn't call it similar- the seats are much higher quality, hold you in better, and are more comfortable. The R has real alcantara everywhere the Si has a low thread count cloth. The steering wheel is very noticeably thicker (feels much better in hand). The top of the passenger dash has a softer touch material compared to the rock hard plastic of the Si. The shifter look and feel is outstanding.

• The R in comfort mode is more comfortable than the Si in normal mode, the seats are more comfortable too for short and long drives- (I've done 1k mile road trips in the 18 Si Coupe and my 19 Type R). Cruise control keeps the speed when going uphill far better too.

• The tires the R comes with are summer tires, not all season tires- they should not be used in the winter if you are up north- you would need new tires/wheels for the winter season.

• The stock tires last only ~10k miles. I suggest Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires as the defacto replacement tire- they have better performance and last much longer which makes the cost(about the same as the stock tire) much more reasonable.

• The car does not take bumps in the road well - you'll be paranoid about potholes unless you change the wheels- be careful about changing wheels though as you will alter the driving dynamics of the R- Honda made the wheels big and heavy as part of their cure for torque steer.

• The Si is a better tuner's car. It costs a lot more to do modify the R and the R has less headroom. If you really like to modify your car I'd stick with the Si.

• The US version of the Type R has no heated seats, no heated mirrors, no lanewatch, no Honda sensing.

• The R has no sunroof but as a trade off it has far more headroom.

• It cost me less to insure my Type R than my Si

• The rev hang on the Si is about ten times as obtrusive as it is in the R. Shifting is just a much better experience in the R all around.
This post right here needs to be a thread in itself, and stickied on the Si section. I feel like I've taken the path less chosen, which is upgrade the crap ton out of an Si rather than trade up to a Type R. I don't knock anyone that makes the jump, the Si does require a lot of mods to hold a candle to the R in terms of performance but my reasons were building a sleeper, and being unique because it's quite a depart from how the Si is in stock form.

Let's say I were to loose this car, I know what I would want and it's not a Type R...2019 ND Miata RF with the Club pack. It is such a pure car, even a stock one left me with ever lasting positive impressions with how good of a job Mazda did with creating their little sports car!

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Tempted, as my dealer has gotten 3 Type R's in a month.
A black one, blue one, and now a white one.
Back when I was looking for a car, they were lucky to get 1 a year.
Anyway, I haven't had my Si but a few months, and I drive like an old man, but it is tempting.
Don't know if I could justify the hit on the trade, the large increase in price, the very similar interior, etc.
The Type R is a little better investment, but the SI is not bad either. In driving both, the Type R was like a totally different car and in the nuts and bolts it is a different car. The frame structure and solidity is far beyond the SI and they may not look very different but they ARE very different. Down low in RPM the type R reveals more turbo lag but as always with this kind of engine, at 3k RPM it multiplies the horses pulling you exponentially. Also it is a smoother and quieter engine. The seats are vastly more comfortable than the SI or basic Civic seats.

I am like Dr Heckle and Mr Hyde. Sometimes I am a hyper-miler and drive my HB Sport Civic at lowest RPM needed just for kicks and economy. But if I am not building revs in my long stroke 1.5t it really lacks grunt going up hills. I have hills here and mountains, in New Mexico mainly. If I had the Type R I know I would have more reserves of power and more comfortable, quieter car. I also prefer the looks of the R because it has more real scoops than just fake vents and scoops and the big wing completes the HB look for me.

So, in conclusion if I had the extra money I would buy the R in a second. I would change out the rear seat to have full capacity for passengers and the rims of course. For me it is the silky smooth emgine I would prefer and knowing the car will always be worth more. Plus the looks are perfect and nifty to me! Oh and plus the seats are actually comfortable! MANY REASONS

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
My friend got a Type R a few months back. We both have 2017 Si coupes already. I have a KTuner with VIT stg 1 tune @ 25psi. His car had 1100 miles on it when he let me drive it and I was hesitant to really rev it out, but I did stay in it until 5500 RPM a couple times and frankly I thnk my Si with the KTuner VIT stg 1 tune would beat it. But, if the Type R got a KTuner, then it would swing back the other way for sure. I LOVED the Rev Matching downshift feature on the Type R...that itself would be worth it for spirited or track driving. I too hate that the R comes with 20" wheels. I would put 18" wheels on it straight away, or at least 19". I loved the look of the interior & exterior too. In comfort mode...yes, was very plush. Really didn't get to hug the turns in it, but it felt very planted. But my Si handles pretty darn good with the Type R Rear Sway bar, added neg camber up front and 18x9" wheels with 245/40/18 Bridgestone RE-71R tires.

We all know what MPG the Si and lower trims are capable of, so dropping 10mpg in the Type R would be a little painful. I think I'm just a bit disappointed in the accel of the Type R stock. For what it looks like alone, it should be faster. But again, a tune fixes that in short order. I'm keeping my ear to the ground for if these things start going for somewhere in between MSRP and invoice. Until then, I'm happy with the Si. =)

cafecito820

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm already pondering doing so, yes. Not because I need 300 hp (I don't) or because I plan to track it (I don't), but mainly because I 1) want a hatchback, 2) want the increased headroom from not having a sunroof, and 3) still want to be able to put some power down and have some fun when I'm in the mood to do so (ie, why I don't want a plain Sport 6MT).

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My friend got a Type R a few months back. We both have 2017 Si coupes already. I have a KTuner with VIT stg 1 tune @ 25psi. His car had 1100 miles on it when he let me drive it and I was hesitant to really rev it out, but I did stay in it until 5500 RPM a couple times and frankly I thnk my Si with the KTuner VIT stg 1 tune would beat it. But, if the Type R got a KTuner, then it would swing back the other way for sure. I LOVED the Rev Matching downshift feature on the Type R...that itself would be worth it for spirited or track driving. I too hate that the R comes with 20" wheels. I would put 18" wheels on it straight away, or at least 19". I loved the look of the interior & exterior too. In comfort mode...yes, was very plush. Really didn't get to hug the turns in it, but it felt very planted. But my Si handles pretty darn good with the Type R Rear Sway bar, added neg camber up front and 18x9" wheels with 245/40/18 Bridgestone RE-71R tires.

We all know what MPG the Si and lower trims are capable of, so dropping 10mpg in the Type R would be a little painful. I think I'm just a bit disappointed in the accel of the Type R stock. For what it looks like alone, it should be faster. But again, a tune fixes that in short order. I'm keeping my ear to the ground for if these things start going for somewhere in between MSRP and invoice. Until then, I'm happy with the Si. =)
Its a question of budget and purpose. The Type R has top end, even stock it gives you butterflies as soon as the RPM's go up exponentially from 3000 up. For economy and low end torque the 1.5's win the day. But the power is like a tool not a factor for excitement. The 1.5 has very useful, practical power and economy. For excitement and to break speed limits, the R has that in spades.

EizenhowerSTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I previously owned a 2018 Type R. I ended up selling it and now own a 2020 Si. I will tell you the Type R is great if you want to track and drive hard. No point if you do not use it. Just the wheels tires and brakes will drive you nuts. It’s a race car with race car upkeep.