Would you say the Type R is not a good daily driver?

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
MediaMaster, I've got the Motegi MR924s; Tirerack exclusive wheel, and Type R specific fitment (hubcentric). And Pretty cheap. They are 19x8.5, ET53. So very close to NSX fronts. Hard to compare handling because I changed to Yokohama V601s (their brand new Max Performance tire), which don't have quite as much grip overall as the Continentals. However, the car feels great; the sidewalls on the Yokos are stiffer and the tire feels more direct, and they seem to communicate better. Easy tire to drive fast and they feel good doing it. Ride is improved as well, as you'd expect with a taller sidewall (even though the sidewall itself reacts more quickly and doesn't roll over as much). As for sizes, the 245/35 is essentially dead on stock, while 255/35 is just a shade less than 1% taller. I figured a little extra tread width and a slightly taller sidewall couldn't hurt; the car is geared pretty low, so erring toward taller isn't a bad thing though it's so little as to not make any difference. GPS vs. Speedo is either dead on or 1mph off at highway speeds, same as it was on the OEM tires.

Some argue that a 255/35 is too wide for an 8.5" wheel, but it's within spec for the tires and obviously it works as I'm driving around on them. It looks 'right' too, in the sense of it not being either stretched or stuffed on the wheel. The argument generally goes that you want the tire more stretched so the sidewall doesn't have to go as far when cornering leading to a more direct feeling and perhaps a better contact patch, but in 25 years of cocking about with cars I've typically maxed out tire width for a given wheel and have never felt it was a negative. RX-8s were a good example; came with 225/45/18s on 18x8s, and a bunch of us ended up on 245/40/18s. Max width for an 8" wheel, but we all went faster around the track and the cars felt fantastic. Also, see the OEM Contis after a track day with an aggressive driver; you end up cornering ON the sidewalls which doesn't seem optimal.

Point being, don't stress the scrub radius and geometry stuff too much. I know your pain on that, but ultimately the car felt great stock and still feels great now. I'd say you're way more likely to feel differences in tires than you are a few mm of scrub radius.
Thank you so much for the assessment and reply. This is exactly why I joined this site when I decided to buy the car. I've not read every single thread or post, but I think I've learned enough to make a choice. I'm going for the 255/35/ZR19 Pilot Sport. I think I'm going to try and have the dealership install 245/35/20 on the stock wheels with a good set of all-seasons. I'm sure they will fight me on this but it never hurts to try and be gently insistent. Maybe by some strange quirk Honda will give the 2020s a wheel choice.

I'm going to press on with trying to learn suspension geometry. Now that I've finally retired at 70, and bought myself a nice present (first one), Ive got to spend my time/energies in other places. LOL
Sponsored

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
I drove 7 hours in comfort mode from my home to a track day event. Switched to R+ mode and did about 40-50 laps. Then drove 7 hours in comfort mode back home. The whole point of the car imo is the fact that it can easily do both of these things.

Averaged about 6mpg on track and about 32mpg on the highway.